Non-alcholic drinks

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Think I'm going to do Dry February. Does anyone have any favourite non-alcoholic drinks as an alternative to wine? Something not sweet and without a lot of calories?

I tend to just drink diet coke if im not drinking or orange juice, probably not to helpful! Lime and soda perhaps?

uh, grapejuice :D or try some of those Shloer things, they're quite tasty :)

i've not been drinking for quite some time now (pregnant!) and don't really miss it at all.

We sell Belvoir Elderflower Presse in the cafe and it is delicious. They do a cordial which would be a much cheaper way of making an enjoyable soft drink.

Any really nice cordial mixed with fizzy water, I particularly like the Bottlegreen elderflower or ginger and lemongrass ones!!
These are my favorite drinks ever.... mmmmm the ginger and lemongrass is gorgeous made with warm water too.

Oooh, thanks for the suggestions. I don't like fizzy drink much but I do like sparkling water and the cordial sounds delicious. Sounds nice with warm water too, might try that at work. Best of all, it doesn't sound like something the kids will pinch. Will give it a go!

I mostly drink fruit juices (proper juice juices, not the stuff you dilute) - apple is my ultimate favourite, also love orange juice and cranberry, but any fruit juice will do! My favourite at the moment is kiwi and apple, it's divine.

I don't really like fizzy drinks and they make me bloated. However I do like stuff with "small fizz" like Schloer and ginger ale, I tend to drink those on special occasions.

When I'm in the UK, on the rare occasions I go to the pub I usually have a bottle of J20.

I'm teetotal, had my last drink on my 21st birthday and didn't really drink much before then as I never particularly liked alcohol. After 7 years as a non-drinker I now actually find the smell of alcohol makes me feel a bit squiffy! In the countries I've been living it's kind of difficult to explain that "I don't drink alcohol" really does mean just that - the Italians/Portuguese/French tend to think that wine doesn't really count, it's practically flavoured water :giggle: When we're invited out for dinner I always take my own drink, as most French hosts won't think to provide anything non-alcoholic (apart from water, which I don't like) unless there are children coming! I usually take a bottle of Champony (sort of like the French equivalent of Schloer) as it looks like champagne/fizzy wine and I don't feel so out of place :giggle:

Just drink water or milk there is no substitute for alcohol. When people who are tea total when they wake up that is the best they will feel all day. Personally I have two very large ones every night I am over 60 very fit and not over weight alcohol in moderation is good for you, my brother in law was advised too have a stiff one ever night after having a double heart by pass.

I dont drink, completely t-total, I tend to drink Lime and Lemonade in a pub or J-20, and like Joosie I cant stand the smell on others now either.

I have an addiction to Coke though, the real red fat coke, love it and I know its bad for you but... I cant leave it alone!

I drink far too much, and often think that I should pack it up. But that is as far as I get!!

I dont drink, completely t-total, I tend to drink Lime and Lemonade in a pub or J-20, and like Joosie I cant stand the smell on others now either.

I have an addiction to Coke though, the real red fat coke, love it and I know its bad for you but... I cant leave it alone!

Oooh I love proper Coke too! Tis the one thing I refuse to give up! Packed the fags in after 20 years but not coke - oh no, I have to keep that!!

We generally just have squash in the house, or juices with some lemonade. Though as a treat we sometimes buy proper coke in glass bottles, tastes sooooo good!

Just drink water or milk there is no substitute for alcohol. When people who are tea total when they wake up that is the best they will feel all day. Personally I have two very large ones every night I am over 60 very fit and not over weight alcohol in moderation is good for you, my brother in law was advised too have a stiff one ever night after having a double heart by pass.
This is my philosophy. I am not a heavy drinker but love a glass of nice red wine. I don't like water or herbal tea or fizzy drinks and would live off tea, coffee and red wine if that wasn't a wee bit bad for you! I tried a 'dry January' once and found it miserable and pointless so gave up on 16th. Amazed I made it that far really! :wink:

This is my philosophy. I am not a heavy drinker but love a glass of nice red wine. I don't like water or herbal tea or fizzy drinks and would live off tea, coffee and red wine if that wasn't a wee bit bad for you! I tried a 'dry January' once and found it miserable and pointless so gave up on 16th. Amazed I made it that far really! :wink:

Off topic but It struck me as a bit pointless, all the medical evidence suggests that you there is no benefits to doing it for a whole month and that as long as you drink in moderation and you have dry days each week (two in succession for max health benefits) then its fine, and maybe if it made you think about how much you drink normally it was worth doing and those that raised money for charity were good but all I got on my facebook page on the 31st was everyone who had done it plans for massive drinking sessions this weekend so its not really taught them anything?!

If im not drinking i tend to have fruit juice or coke.... When i was in america i used to drink a raspberry and spring water drink that was lovely, i have yet to find anything that comes close if anyone has suggestions!

I allow myself one fizzy drink a day, either diet coke or diet lemonade - although the coke has to be caffeine free as much as possible.
Otherwise I drink water or robinsons r special orange and mango - practically neat. None of this cloudy water crap.

I don't really feel the need to have a dry month as I don't really drink a lot at all. I have the odd bulmers as a guilty pleasure but that's probably about once every 2-3weeks. I might buy the odd bottle of baileys and indulge as a night cap but otherwise alcohol just doesn't quench my thirst at all.

newrider.com