No wonder he was lame!!

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Sherman had an abscess about 3 weeks ago. He was sore under his frog when farrier came. When poulticing, a small hole appeared near the tip of his frog on the left hand side of this pic. I assumed this was where the abscess blew. Plus gunk came out the sides of the frog.

After it all healed, we had 2 weeks of normal riding. Then he came in like he had broken his leg - worse than the first time maybe?

Have been soaking and poulticing again all week. This morning I thought it looked like there was a bit of grit in the hole. So went after it. And THIS IS WHAT CAME OUT...

:frown: (Not the pen lid, the thorn ha!)

That has got to feel better!!!

OMG! Poor Sherman...is it a blackthorn? They are dreadful and soooo painful, I had one in my knee once and it was agony, no wonder the poor boy was in such pain. Well done for spotting it, I am not sure I could have done with my eyesight!:frown:

So satisfying - like getting the biggest splinter out!! I'm not entirely sure what it is but we have hawthorn and blackthorn around so could well be. Lets just hope it doesn't get infected or anything else :frown:

Ouch!

I can imagine the satisfaction of getting that one out:smile:

I had a splinter up my finger nail the other day, it drove me crazy trying to get it out with a needle and tweezers:giggle:

newrider.com