No sleep tonight

Daisy_Roots

May 9, 2009
Cumbria
We have started weaning the calfs today, so it's quite noisy out there :rolleyes:
As time goes on and their throats get sore they start sounding like whales :confused::eek::D
Started with 30 today, there's another 30 to take from their mothers this week coming.
It's going to get loud out there :rolleyes:

poor things, sad for them and their mums, we never give enough credit to the maternal feelings of livestock, we worry about weaning foals, but it must be just as tough for a cow to lose her calf.

Oh I don't envy you they are incredibly noisy I know from when
we were stabled at my Mate's Farm.

When I owned Morse the cows were kept in a shed just behind the stables,
OMG he nearly had a nervous breakdown until I took him round to show
him what and who was making the noise:D

poor things, sad for them and their mums, we never give enough credit to the maternal feelings of livestock, we worry about weaning foals, but it must be just as tough for a cow to lose her calf.

I do feel for them, but at least they are together, all the female calves in one shed, the males in an other and the mums remain where they were.

The calves are between six and seven months old, so they were getting huge and really starting to get on their mothers nerves, the male calves were also starting to jump on anything that moved and we ran the risk of a six month old female calf getting pregnant to her half brother or worse still her father!

One of my favourite cows, Lisa had a bull calf who died a couple of months ago, the vet put it down to internal bleeding, that was sad, as she seemed quite 'haunted' for quite some time.

Hehehe, I've got the lambs coming soon! lol, we have about 200 plus all ready to pop lambs out within the next four weeks or so.............I don't half miss 'em when they move! I get used to listening to their bleating and it seems really quiet when our farmer moves them further away.

newrider.com