No show jumping this Sunday then!

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So in short, sox is lame bless him!

The long version now : brought him in yesterday from the field after work and he plodded in I didn't really think anything of it apart from he might be foot sore from been shod on Monday.

Saw he had a tiny cut so made a mental note to clean that afterwards. Tacked up and walked him the 30 seconds to S school.

Thought about just making it a bit fun for him and getting him to listen to me more. So we started of I asked him to trot but he was doing a slow trot so I asked him to go faster and he didn't ,which isn't like him. He didn't feel lame but just not quite right. When I asked him to go faster his ears went right back! So I tried him going down the long side and he was fine ,asked him again to keep the same speed and do a circle and he slowed down. Then I noticed he was nodding . But he didn't feel lame but I hopped off checked for heat and swelling in his legs and there was any.

Luckly another girl was down asked if I was ok and just watched sox walk away. She said she was no vet but it looked like his back left and you could tell by his pelvis.

So I walked him back home. Untacked him ,thought I saw a very faint hoof print. But he had had 2 rugs on for the last month or so. Checked his feet again and picked them out. Nothing out of the ordinary.

It was when we started at his hip and worked our way down before his leg that he moved away.

Which makes me think someone has booted him or he has pulled it out in the field. The field is very boggy as the gateway and along the fence. So i cleaned his cut up and gave him a big bed, haynet and his tea. I decided not to give him bute incase he felt 'fine' today and charged off around the field.

Checked him this morning. Again all of his legs and feet for heat and swelling then got K to trot him up on the road. He appeared to be lame when we turned him around. So I put him out as he would have been the only one in and I thought it would be better for him to be moving around rather then stiffen up.

Tonite I ended up hosing his hoofs off as both his front left and back left where quite warm compared to his right hooves which where cold. Along his fetlock appeared warm on his back left. I am going to trot him up again Friday and if his no better get the vet down.

Was meant to have a jumping lesson today had to cancel that last night and yes I was meant to be going to a Xmas show on Sunday. Shouldn't have spoken about it so much! Sox has obviously decided he didn't fancy doing any jumping today or on Sunday for that matter! My poor sox!

Reactions: Gimp
Hey! I decided to give him the few days of and just let him out in the field ,with no bute as again I thought if he felt fine he would wanted to play more etc. Trotted him up tonight and he appears sound! When I trotted him on Tuesday I had to clap my hands and almost get at him to make him trot. Today he was more forward going and needed less encouragement to trot. So yes so pleased his sound. Still not doing the show and not going to jump til next year. Please his sound for Xmas !

Reactions: Trewsers
So my friend turned him out for me this morning as I was at work for 7 am. Came down to bring him in at about 4 ish. Thought sox was a little lame when I saw him but he was in the thick mud so thought it was just that. Walking him back onto the gravel back to the yard he was very lame in walk. Thought he had pulled it like Tuesday. Then he didn't want to come into the barn so I slowly encouraged him. It was then he starts actually holding his front left foot up . By now I am thinking abscess. I tied him up and even then he wasn't wanting to put weight on it and lifting it up. So ,me been quite calm I carried on what I would do if he was lame. Clean his hooves and pick them out. I picked his front left and realised he had thrown a shoe!!! And it was only the one shoe. Luckly I brought my boot up about 2 weeks ago. So after 30 mins of undoing screws, trying the boot on,thinking I had got the wrong size as at first it wouldn't go on! Thinking he wiuld become more lame before he gets better. Then thay my farrier may not be able to put it back on,to him been on box rest. then losing a screw, only having one screw on either side as the other 2 wouldn't go through the holes, sox resting his foot on the cushioning bit,snorting like a animal when I first put it on him and finally! Finally I got the damn thing on! Made it at tight as I could without hurting him including making the screws tighter while feeding sox carrots!

Sox looked very sorry for himself!
So sox has 3 shoes and 1 boot on and I am hoping tomorrow he will still have 3 shoes and 1 boot on him!

So.. I was meant to be showjumping tomorrow! Now I am going on a shoe hunt. I am going to ask the YO if sox can go in a small field so he can still be in with the others but hopefully won't pull his boot off!

them Monday morning,long shot but seeing if my farrier can but his shoe on before Xmas!

Aw poor Sox - hope your farrier can come before Christmas. I do not miss having a shod horse! lol Mr Joe would lose them at the most annoying times! Plus when he needed new ones it wasn't something you could put off. One such occasion was when we had a ridiculous amount of snow come overnight and farrier was due. Normally I would tell anyone to stay away as our road becomes quite dangerous. Anyhoo he said he would come early before another layer came, but poor lad still got stuck in his land rover! I felt awful as it turned into a circus with J acting up and jumping over his head! Boy am I glad my girls just have trims which can be delayed if the weather is bad.

So sox managed to keep his boots on overnight and almost appeared sound! I decided to create a little field within the field where is it so boggy so he can still go out. Spent all afternoon doing that and turned sox out. Only to find out that he had been cantering around and when I keep to bring him in ,2 hours later. He had done a lovely trench around the edge of the field! Also the boot wasn't on his hoof! So sox limped badly back and I went on the hint for his boot. Found it. But now I am in a catch 21. If my farrier can't come tomorrow or Tuesday then sox will either have to be kept in until he can be shod. Or go out and me have to hunt for his boot every night and pray sox doesn't get an abcess or a bruise from walking on the gravel with no shoe on!

Instead of the boot if you can pop a good layer of cotton wool inside a nappy and gaffa tape it to his foot securely you should be able to turn him out without it coming off even in thick mud :)

Instead of the boot if you can pop a good layer of cotton wool inside a nappy and gaffa tape it to his foot securely you should be able to turn him out without it coming off even in thick mud :)
I would also see if you can use a bit of old feed bag (the plastic ones) over the top of the nappy to make a kind of boot, Oscar kept his on ok like this and we were knee deep in mud. Although having said that, the only time I have had to do it with Belle she got it off after about 30 minutes, little bugger just kept on tugging and tugging at it till it fell apart!

newrider.com