No longer have children at primary school,sad day!!

devonlass

May 20, 2006
devon
So the last of my 3 children left primary school today.Just left their leavers assembly and wasn't a dry eye in the house children or parents,even the teachers were balling!!

I have been trekking up the local primary school since 1996 with my 3 children (4-5 yr age gaps between mine),it is the end of an era.

Pointless post but here's to the friends me and my kids have made along the way,and hugs and a shoulder to any others on here on the emotional roller coaster this week!!

We have the leavers party this evening,more tears there I'm guessing:redface:

I have had my middle one leave secondary as well this year.That didn't make me feel sad though just old lol.

Ah yes, I remember that Devonlass, so sad as you realise that the child who leaves primary is leaving part of his or her childlike innocence behind. At High School, parents are just not involved to the same level, as they rightly begin the process of instilling independence and preparing them for the adult world.

Hope you enjoy tonight x

My little boy has his last day in Year R tomorrow. I can't believe how quickly the year has gone!

Enjoy tonight. One door shuts and another one opens (and all that....)

Ah yes, I remember that Devonlass, so sad as you realise that the child who leaves primary is leaving part of his or her childlike innocence behind. At High School, parents are just not involved to the same level, as they rightly begin the process of instilling independence and preparing them for the adult world.

Quite true,not only are parents much more involved at primary,but it is often a local school like our village one and just seems to have more of a sense of commumity than the bigger schools that are often miles away.

Will be so strange not to walk him up there every day,and sad not to see people on a daily basis anymore.

Particularly sad for the kids this year as they are going to 9 different secondary schools between them (usually the majority go to the same one with just a few going onto either grammar or other secondary for whatever reason),so many will lose touch quite quickly I suspect.

My little boy has his last day in Year R tomorrow. I can't believe how quickly the year has gone!

Enjoy tonight. One door shuts and another one opens (and all that....)

I know isn't it scary how time goes.They showed a montage of photos at the levers assembly from when all the kids were young and in pre school and reception.I remember so many of them as they were seems like only yesterday,must be another sign of getting old I fear!!

Thanks for the thoughts folks,much appreciated:smile:

To be truthful when our middle son started school leaving me in an empty house I found that horrid & watched the clock all morning waiting to fetch him home for dinner. The leaving the junior school for the comp did seem a big step for all three of the:sad:. But when phil went off to uni & we took him off to Huddersfield & left him in an empty house, then went home I cried all the way home ( how wet is that ? ).My daughter was the last to go & it felt really weird without her, hubby started decorating & changed use of rooms so I suppose he felt the same. But have always felt bereft when I look at photos of all of them when they were little, almost mourning them because they've grown away from us. It is true they are loaned to you to bring up & then they're gone , just like wonderful glorious summer days have gone in November.

Please don't start me off. My monster goes up next year and I'm dreading it. I remember back to when she went from Infants to Juniors and the vast change in her in the space of a month as she suddenly seemed to grow up. I've only got the one child and I'm shocked at how quickly the last 10 years have gone past. This week I have mainly been quizzed by her on what she's learning in sex education. It's hilarious listening to her trying to sound all grown up by not being impressed when people giggle. I've told her that even when I'm 90 and she's over 60 she'll always be my baby. Hubby said last night that he hopes she never wants to move out. I was freaked out by that thought!

But have always felt bereft when I look at photos of all of them when they were little, almost mourning them because they've grown away from us. It is true they are loaned to you to bring up & then they're gone , just like wonderful glorious summer days have gone in November.

Please don't start me off. My monster goes up next year and I'm dreading it.

Aw don't you guys will be starting me off blubbing again!!

Tubby I know exactly what you mean.It seems like a lifelong job and they will be with your forever,but then it's gone in the blink of an eye.My eldest moved out a couple of years ago now,and although in some ways it was a good thing,it was also like losing a limb.I remember standing in his room and feeling totally bereft.

Don't get me wrong life is easier is so many ways now they are older,but it scares how quickly those years went by,and I miss those early years so much at times.

JC a warning for you,take your tissues next year,if was anything like our lots leavers do won't be a dry eye in the house.
I think most of us were alright until they did the photo montage,and then all the kids sang green day's 'time of your life',and was just so sad,but in a good way if that makes sense.

"Another turning point a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist directs you where to go
So make the best of this test and don't ask why
It's not a question but a lesson learned in time

[Chorus]
It's something unpredictable but in the end
It's right I hope you've had the time of your life"

I really do hope they have the time of their lives,great bunch of kids all of them.

I'm fully expecting to turn into some hideous snot monster but it won't be as bad as when she left the infants as they juniors is totally crap and I have no emotional ties to it whatsoever! The infants saw me there volunteering a hell of a lot but I've not wanted to at the Juniors.

But when phil went off to uni & we took him off to Huddersfield & left him in an empty house, then went home I cried all the way home ( how wet is that ? )

Oh Lordy, I'm dreading it, and it's three years away as yet! (I put up a 'Uni Fees' thread earlier, so you can tell its on my mind.)

He's our only child so I know that I'll be crying all the way home too, Tubby, and probably for most of the following three years. :cry::cry::cry: I intend to make the most of the time we spend together now, and am going to form some kind of action plan so that I don't go completely bonkers. Action plan will revolve around travelling and horses I think!:biggrin:

My sons whole school thing was a nightmare, I hate state schools. He was very ill as a child and went way behind and had a few really weird teachers with problems of their own I suspect. Needless to say he didn't pass 11 plus or whatever it is. Went into really crap secondary (HM is my relation by marriage can you believe). I whipped him out and self taught, then put him into public school. Best thing ever:dance:l He is his own person awkward at times but he has his head screwed on. We did have a very lovely primary for a time though, happy days and we made loads of freinds. Just to let you know, I am attending a drink councelling thing (which is rubbish) one of the girls that comes is a local primary teacher and she has told me all the teachers drink and hide it behind the fridge, scary or what, she takes drugs too argh!

I know what you mean Tina, my boy's school went from 'good' earlier this year to now being in special measures. New head is really getting it sorted though but have had a run in with the music teacher which frankly, if he had failed so dramatically to do his job in the private sector, he would have gone ages ago. That's not the schools fault, it just the system, and I do think most teachers have a difficult job. So many kids think they can just behave as they please and the parents are worse - no wonder some of the teachers turn to drink!

Anyway, getting off topic....good luck to all those over the next 24 hours who have kids leaving primary/secondary/college etc., and keep the tissues at hand!

Although it has suffered from overcrowding due to loads of housing development in the village (popular commuter belt),our primary school is fab,very close ties with the local community,very friendly and good standard of education,we are very lucky I think.My son who has just left has been there since 2005 and has always been happy and never had any concerns.

I am truly blubbing now,just been up to pick up son from leavers party and took some pics of some with his friends,had some hugs off the mums and the kids (I childminded years ago and looked after some of them from the time they were babies!!).
Am going to miss all those kids so much,although two of the girls want to come down and see the ponies in the holidays so that something I guess.

Well new beginnings and all that,but is a bittersweet day I have to say.

Are bless devonlass, we did have great times at my sons last primary regardless my rant. I looked after others kids too and it was great. Funny thing but they are all still good friends even though my own pushed off to PS (lucky boy). Good friends never leave you, so take heart, our poor babies (so we think). My son still has his primary friends, and they are my friends too, and I wonder why they are remotely interested in an old nit wit like me, but they are, they often fondly tell me. I think I am very lucky. It gives me faith and hope for the future, I was a total rebel child, I am now a total rebel adult lol, no hope but they love me so I must be doing something right. We had such good times, reading stories, helping with writing etc, christmas stuff oh blub blub, fetes, all very happy days, I used to take my old golden down to the gates every night and the kids loved him, they didn't have dogs of their own, oh more blub silly me.

It is a sad day and does without doubt bring home the reality that they are growing up and you are that little bit older:wink:

But each stage brings it's own rewards devonlass although it does make you wonder where the hell the time went:giggle::wink:

It is the end of a era isn't it devonlass.

I don't have any more children under school age from september as my youngest will turn 4 in the august and start this september. Only another year until my second is at secondary school too!

Is all a bit overwhelming!

newrider.com