No brakes whilst hacking with others!

SilverKismet

Aug 4, 2008
E.Sussex
Hi :)

Was just wondering if anybody had any advice for this problem:

It doesn't usually happen when I'm hacking alone but when I'm with others and we have a 'canter' it usually turns into more of a crazy uncontrollable gallop where I end up having no brakes whatsoever! Kizzy is always wanting to be in front!
I don't mind this at all, I actually find it really fun but at the same time I can see it could be dangerous if there was a certain situation where I needed to stop... It's also good having various speeds rather than just the one being flat out!

I hate hanging on to her mouth but as much as I like going at that speed, it isn't fair on the person I am with having there horse fighting against them whilst Kizzy bombs past them... The contact makes no difference at all and I don't want to be yanking on her much loads. It would be great to have a canter or gallop without me having a tug of war with her (I am also giving with my hands so it's not completely constant :))

But I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :D x

Last edited:
I'm about to try out a new bit as i have exactly the same problem!!!!!

I currently use a hanging cheek french link snaffle, and for what its worth - provides absolutely no brakes if he so decides to tank off!!!!!

Have just bought a hanging cheek waterford to try (from recommendations on NR!) out this week when i go out - will let you know if its worth considering!!!

Thanks for suggestions, I will definately keep them in mind!

Ooh and good luck with the new bit, hope it works!! :D
Yeh, it would be great if you could let me know :)

We've got this problem with my lad, although sometimes he does it when everyone else is walking!
It's not blind bolting what he does but we've the same kind of thing; i.e nothing stops him!
The only thing i can do is lean forward and grab his bit and pull his head sideways so he has to stop - although you've got to be quite confident to lean forward.
People may think that is cruel as yes if i have to pull hard then it will hurt, but if he's going to run into oncoming traffic etc then a little pain is worth it!
Hope you manage to find a solution x

We've got this problem with my lad, although sometimes he does it when everyone else is walking!
It's not blind bolting what he does but we've the same kind of thing; i.e nothing stops him!
The only thing i can do is lean forward and grab his bit and pull his head sideways so he has to stop - although you've got to be quite confident to lean forward.
People may think that is cruel as yes if i have to pull hard then it will hurt, but if he's going to run into oncoming traffic etc then a little pain is worth it!
Hope you manage to find a solution x

That is actually a good idea, and no it isn't cruel, as you said it's better to do that than have an accident that is a lot worse!

Although Kizzy bucks aswell if I slacken the contact, so i think I may be off over her head by the time I tried to lean forward! x

Exactly the same problem with jazz:p but wenever she wanted to ;) put a drop noseband on her and a martingale :D:D works wonders! I tried everything even grabbing the bit and she wouldnt stop !!:S:S this has really helped!

Hope this helps!!
xxx

When I started riding we had no lessons, were just put on ponies and took out for a hack. when we got to an open space all the kids ponies ( i was young at the time) took off, it was quite scary!! we weren't told what to do so i looked in a horse magazine (can't remember which one) and it said to pull sharply on one rein then the other repeatedly like a seesaw action till they steadied. i tried it and it worked!! next hack everyone else bombed off and i was doing a nice steady canter with the adults :D.

I don't think it's the right thing to do but it certainly worked on that occassion, i've never had to use it again but it would probably be my first reaction if i felt in trouble.

Hi- my Newfie x arab is a real racer. Alone I rode her our in a loose ring french link with a flash.
If in company she had to go first in canter or we were a bucking bronco then we would bolt to be first.
I swapped her a to a french link gag with two reins when going out with a group until she chilled. Then a french link hanging cheek.
Alone she had great brakes in a loose ring.

newrider.com