Nipping napping in the bud - follow-up

beakysian

Mar 26, 2008
Durham, UK
I was hoping to school last night following a lesson on Monday but the arena was booked all night so I grabbed the hi-viz and off we went to tackle some nappy behaviour. And......success!! I have to say it came down to nothing very technical.

When she refused to turn up a track we turned her way, in tight circles until turning my way seemed the easier option. When she refused to move off the leg she received a growl and a tap and she went forward without a problem. On the way back to the stables I popped into a field for a canter round and she didn't bat a eye :bounce:

I don't want to assume that this will be fine from now on - she's a clever moo and more than able to step up her game to test me further. But I was clearly being too hesitant and I'm chuffed we managed to work it out on this occasion :biggrin:

Well done :dance: Turning away and in circles usually works and they will then go forward. However sometimes it is a case of sit and wait. Just thinking here of when my mare was a youngster and wouldn`t cross a large puddle that stretched all the way across the pathway. There was no way around it and it was about 10ft long. I had to sit there and let her decide. She tried to turn away from it but I kept her facing it encouraging her with my voice. After about 15 minutes she decided to have a sniff at it and did this a few times. It took about another 10 minutes until she put one hoof in and quickly pulled it out, then it was two hoofs. She was encouraged all the time and praised at each little effort. After half an hour she walked through it. It was a case of who would get fed up first just waiting there and I was determined it wasn`t going to be me.:bounce:

Last edited:
Well done!! She will def try again though I bet and try different evasion methods, so always have a plan B! (As the Haff has quite rightly pointed out to me on several occasions!) LOL

Perfect you done an excellent piece of work the horse now knows who is the boss but he will try again but now you know you can handle it and so does he.

Well done you! That should help you avoid it in future coz u know you can deal with it successfully if she tries anything.

I hope I'm as successful tomorrow as Prince was nappy leaving the yard on a particular track during this week and I'm going that way again tomorrow. I'll keep your success in mind :wink:

Well done you! That should help you avoid it in future coz u know you can deal with it successfully if she tries anything.

I hope I'm as successful tomorrow as Prince was nappy leaving the yard on a particular track during this week and I'm going that way again tomorrow. I'll keep your success in mind :wink:

Good luck!

newrider.com