Ni Newbie here

Oh hello there, I've already got your "hacking with confidence" cd - and yes, it helped me a lot:D

I am coming out the other side of my confidence issues just now but I know there are still a good few of us struggling along.

Hi & Welcome Confident Rider

Its great to have additional support on NR forum especially located in different parts of the UK where riders can tap in locally if they want to. I have found more and more riders are now open to using holistic/complimentary therapies for both themselves and their horses. I was given a cd of yours two or three years back and that gave me the impetus to expand my coaching business to include hypnotherapy and nlp as a source of support and change mechanism for nervous riders.

As well as supporting others, I think you will also get a lot from NR in terms of rich information will will help you in return.

O)...

Unscrupulous dealers!

I just had a call from a lovely person in need; asking about my CDs, it still amazes me how unscrupulous dealers get away with selling unridable horses to unsuspecting first timers. There should be somewhere on the net that you can vet the seller, never mind the horse!!!

Hello and welcome! Its always nice to hear there is help for confidence issues! (I have had quite a few over the past few years, but feel atm like I am coming out of them due to reading and sharing lots of helpful ideas and experiences).

Hello,

Thanks for joining NR. You will have your work cut out with my confidence issues! I am a 'one horse' sort of rider who needs to have trust in the horse before I can relax. Over the past 8 years I have been lucky enough to ride 2 lovely horses who I trusted with my life and could do anything with. I have just returned to riding after having a baby and heard that my trusted cob is going to be retired and I only have 2 weeks left of riding him. My riding instructor wants to get me out of my 'one horse' mentality and wants me to start riding different horses at the yard. At the moment I'm feeling reasonably confident about this, but I know it will be a different story nearer the time. I'm sure I will be posting lots of threads about being nervous about trying these horses in the future and would love any advice you can give.

Hi Mary just wondering about this "My riding instructor wants to get me out of my 'one horse' mentality and wants me to start riding different horses at the yard" Has she explained the reason for going down this road? What is the plan of action, are you both working towards a goal that you have agreed upon? Is this her want/need or yours?

If you want to be a happy recreational rider, and just enjoy doing what you can when you can, with no burning desire to climb the competition ladder, why change things for the sake of changing them? It sounds as though you have found what makes you happy, riding horses you trust and enjoy - be careful that other people's ambitions don't knock your confidence! Have fun. x

I really wanted to have hypnotherapy for riding issue and diet but I found it hard to choose someone in my area I am very indesisive and the give up on things. My confidence is a 1 on the scale of 1-10. I would like it to at least creep to a 3 before the winter is here.

Hi there Confident Rider,

Glad to see you on this board -- more and more as the traditional riding schools close up and take their knowledge and expertise away and people end up buying their own horses earlier without the support network they used to have, knowing there are "confidence coaches" like us out there around the country is important!

best

Cathy

Hi and welcome!

I'm currently working through confidence issues too! My friends on here and at the yard have been invaluable - just knowing there are people out there with the same issues and concerns makes you feel less isolated.

My area of nervousness is a tough one to sort, as there's no particular reason why my nerve went, so no specific problem to address, and my horse is a sweetheart with no form for being anything but a lovely laid-back mare, and we trust each other on the ground. Which creates problems when I'm riding because I can't give her the same reassurance when I'm riding.

Interestingly I started looking at NLP but only managed a couple of sessions due to the cost. I was looking to sort my riding out first, then move on to my height phobia, but found that although it only helped partially with riding, it almost completely cured the phobia (I'm fine behind glass or under cover but still can't cope in the open air, so no roller coasters for me just yet!). Perhaps my counsellor was focussing on phobias generally, rather than riding nerves?

Anyway, that's me! Now may I ask a question about hypnosis please? Is it possible to hypnotise me and get me to forget I was ever nervous, or is this just something in the realms of stage hypnosis?

Thank you!

Welcome aboard hehe!! :biggrin:

Its lovley to have people who can help us nervous nellies!! :biggrin:

If you ever get really bored have a flick through my diary lol!! Bewarned it will take an hour if not more too read :happy: :giggle:

I have nearly got my confidance back now, but if you have any hints & tips i would love to hear them :)

"Is it possible to hypnotise me and get me to forget I was ever nervous, or is this just something in the realms of stage hypnosis?"

You cannot remove a memory without doing a lobotomy! You can often stuggle to locate one, as we all know, but it's there deep in the memory bank.

What you can do with hypnosis though, is change the reaction to the memory, and dampen down the flight or fight instinct, but only if the reaction to the memory is irrational or exaggerated. If for instance you fell off a ladder and injured yourself, it would be perfectly rational to have a fear of climbing up ladders, but it would be irrational to have a fear of stepping into a lift after such an accident. This can happen because whenever we do something, the mind looks for a similar experience to make a judgement as to whether we are safe or not. In this case the mind has made an incorrect judgement and linked two similar things together “height”.

Now all hypnosis has to do is tap into where the memory is held, in the subconscious (also called the unconscious) mind and break that connection, and re-structure it so that the fear for the ladder-climbing is put back into proportion, and the fear for the lift is changed completely because there is no memory of an unpleasant instance involving lifts in the first place.

The mind is wonderful at keeping us safe, and no one would want this aspect of our mind removing, in fact you can’t unless it is physically injured, but it can go wrong from time to time, and cause all sorts of adverse reactions to the most mundane of situations and objects. More often than not we can sort this out for ourselves, but every now and then, the mind needs a helping hand!

I wonder if you can answer me a question:-

I had hypnosis a fair few years back to deal with shyness, anxiety, worrying about what people think of me etc. I would call it social anxiety.

I went to a reputable hypnotherapist who had come highly recommended.

I really do not feel that he helped me at all at the time. Do you think that some people are a hard nut to crack, so to speak? Is it possible that some people just cannot be hypnotised?

I am finding that it is only now that I am getting older (37 now) that I am becoming more confident around people and not caring so much about what people think of me.

Hi Sharon, and welcome to New Rider. :smile: It's great that you want to help people on here with their confidence issues, and I'm sure your help will be much appreciated.

I bought your Hacking with Confidence cd when I started hacking a very forward going, jumpy pony a few years ago, and had to hack on my own. I nearly abandoned the idea after the first ride when she was rather a handful, and I got very nervous, but decided to persevere. My OH walked with us a few times which really helped as I felt much safer, and more relaxed. I also listened to your cd, which I'm sure helped a lot too. I found the cd very relaxing to listen to as well, so would highly recommend it.

I now hack out on a quieter horse as I ended my previous share for various reasons, and enjoy it more than I can say. To all the nervous nellies out there, please don't give up. I didnt think I would overcome my nerves, but I'm so pleased I did, and apart from enjoying hacking, it gave me a big boost mentally too. I will never be the most confident rider, but as long as the horse and I are happy and enjoy our rides, well that's all that matters.

Hi and welcome!

I have also used the "Hacking with confidence" cd which helped me immensily when I was too terrified to hack out on my own! I still have some issues and don't think I could ever go on a 6 mile hack alone much as I'd love to but I'm no longer confined to the arena!

Hi Claire1605
Well there are Hypnotherapists and Hypnotherapists, just as there are Chiropractors and...

We are all trained by different people and organisations and often follow different models. What works for one person may not work for another.

There are very few people that don’t respond at some level to Hypnosis, but perhaps you needed to give it more time (which is difficult when it can cost so much). Hypnotherapy can only help with one issue at a time, so maybe the Hypnotherapist was trying to solve too much, in too shorter a time.

It may have been a combination of the right therapist at the wrong time, using the wrong model or vice versa, but Hypnotherapy is not a panacea.

Perhaps what would have been more helpful is going down the Cognitive Behaviour route, which is the recommended therapy for Social anxiety/phobia

The reason I combine various forms of therapy is specifically so that the model fits the client rather than the other way around, but some therapists only have one tool in their kit bag, so they cannot do this.

Sharon - quick question if you don't mind! In addition to helping with confidence issues can hypnotherapy help with other issues relating to training/schooling?

For example, I am not the most patient person in the world, I am more patient with my horse than anyone else but I find my own personality (impatient perfectionist) can actually have a negative impact on my riding i.e. trying to hard/expecting to much.

Is this something that can also be helped by hypnotherapy or as it is driven by personality is it too deeply ingrained to be affected by this?

newrider.com