NH trainer - Mike Barker - Any experiences?

Bluey

May 21, 2008
Shetland Isles
Ive just booked my 5yr old cob into a clinic with a NH trainer under the name of Mike Barker.....I can't find any details on the guy though and wondered if anybody had been to past clinics or knows of his work?

I am staying shtum! :D :D

Hello, it has to be you doesn't it! :D :D

ETA, I'm glad I enlagred that pic. of you on your album, as I thougt it was a pic of someone else! :D :D Not that you look like Annette, not at all! :D :D

Runs to hide in a corner.

Last edited:
Hello! I already asked on here before he was booked and pretty much drew a blank on specifics so will have to wait and see. Asked on other boards and got mixed reactions but definitely more good than bad.

Welcome to NR! :D Not that Shetland has a bit of a monopoly on the moderating team or anything.........

i think it was i who asked about him last time. He often comes over and does clinics at Dukes veterinary centre at Aboyne. My RI has had some involvement with him and tried to persuade me to take my horse to one of the clinics but i never bothered as i couldn't find much (good or bad) on him on the internet/via word of mouth. I've a feeling his clinics were hellishly expensive, another reason i didn't go!

here's my thread from a while back
http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107258

So how are things going now eventerbabe?....with your horse, I mean.

to be brutally honest, i don't think there wasn't much wrong with him in the first place :rolleyes::D my RI recomended mike because toby can be a bit bolshy and a bit disrespectful, the odd headbutt and trying to rub on me after a lesson. He's got an argumentative nature anyway and i think my RI wasn't used to that (she's used to nice, well behaved obliging warmbloods!). We just tightened up on handling and did a bit of ground work on manners and he's a million times better now :) even my RI has commented on his improved behaviour. We still get to odd tantrum unndersaddle but i think that's just toby :rolleyes:

He's got an argumentative nature anyway and i think my RI wasn't used to that (she's used to nice, well behaved obliging warmbloods!).

Better not let them near anything UK M&M then! :D :D I know certain little people who can get a crowbar straight into the smallest chink in the armour of even the most experienced big horse owner! :D :D

Mike is the bloke who visited Orkney last year and opened their eyes to doing natural horsemanship. He's a really nice guy and wont have anything to do with advertising because what he does is genuine and from the heart, not the purse.
He comes over from Oz once a year and visits a few friends and people hes got to know and does clinics for them, hes really good and can sort our any problems. Hes really good at building up a bond between you and your horse and getting your horse to pay attention to you and trust you. Hes great at doing demos because he really puts things over clearly and its not all tricks like some of the parelli stuff.

Send madlady a pm, she has his number.

madlady
Member Join Date: Jun 2006

OP - I would have everything checked that could possibly be checked physically and get out a knowledgable NH person for an assesment before I made the decision to have this horse pts. I have had Mike Barker out to work with some of mine and have also been to some of his clinics, I do rate him very highly. Please feel free to PM me if you want his number, I still have it.
Please keep us posted.

OP - I would have everything checked that could possibly be checked physically and get out a knowledgable NH person for an assesment before I made the decision to have this horse pts. I have had Mike Barker out to work with some of mine and have also been to some of his clinics, I do rate him very highly. Please feel free to PM me if you want his number, I still have it.
Please keep us posted.

I agree with your sentiments totally but no-one has discussed having anything pts on this thread as far as I know, certainly not the original poster (who I happen to know, and know her cob) :confused:

Jeezo!

Good grief..........I suppose its serves me right for not being on here for a week or 2 but PTS? :mad: ..............where the heck did that come from?!! I love my (thanx Wally) big bumd sausage! No I'll try this guy its cool, I smoke so I waste money on worse! He's actually better already cos Ive done zero but lead n feed for 3 months (not lazieness I've had an op!) will let u know! :D

Good to see some nice reports about Mr Barker, Turk is going to be used as a demo of a horse who wont load in a horsebox, 26 years and he has never accepted he can fit in one! Will be interesting to see. Also taking Vel for the clinic, not that there is any vices with him but just for the experience. Hoping he doesnt go skitz!!!!!

mike is coming to see 3 of mine on 23rd july, (MY BIRTHDAY)!!!!! one needs a firecracker up his a*se, one needs a valium and the other one is having some very basic ground work and backing. i cant wait.... best birthday present ever!!!

newrider.com