NF Daily Thread-Saturday / Cleaning the bottom!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I think starting a thread everyday will be a fun challenge. I know you guys probably think Gosh nf you barely post, how will you manage. :rolleyes: :)

But I will use what pops into my head randomly in the course of my horsey day with the cob. So be warned it really will be random.

Do you clean it?
How often?
With what?

For those of you with a mare do you find they get poop stuck to their girly bits.
I check her and she's a clean lass so I leave well alone, but then she likes to get poop in the crevices (for want of a better description!)

• Haha
Reactions: Trewsers and Bodshi
I clean Raf's bottom a lot. I nearly always have to get out the bucket and cloth/sponge when I groom because he always has stable/field stains and the bottom/dock/sheath get a wash at the same time (I only do inside the sheath once in a blue moon though). Same when we get back from a ride, when I'm washing the sweat off, the bottom gets a wash too.

Mares are a different kettle of fish though - those lady bits are far more complicated and prone to all sorts of debris - and the teats, well that's another thing!

The teats are simple. Just a quick rummage cleans out the excess smegma. I don't over do though.
I think in the wild if she had foals it would just self clean?
To be honest we have geldings here and I think they could be helping out!! It's not as if she's not offering herself on a plate. :eek:

I only really clean bums if it's looking particularly mucky, if they've had a bit of an upset tummy or something, generally speaking my 3 stay pretty clean from poop. Stinky mare squirt is another matter, Jess gets that down her legs during bad seasons and can get quite sore from it so it has to be washed off, thankfully that's normally only the first season or two of the year. I normally just clean with water, soap if I happen to be bathing, baby wipes if I'm in a rush :)

I only really clean bums if it's looking particularly mucky, if they've had a bit of an upset tummy or something, generally speaking my 3 stay pretty clean from poop. Stinky mare squirt is another matter, Jess gets that down her legs during bad seasons and can get quite sore from it so it has to be washed off, thankfully that's normally only the first season or two of the year. I normally just clean with water, soap if I happen to be bathing, baby wipes if I'm in a rush :)
That's most seasons here. Messy madam that she is.
Can include the feathers and tail needing doing.

Reactions: Jessey
Nope, never washed Belle bottom or lady bits, she's a really clean mare to be honest, I do have to clean between her teats now and then, but that's not often as I don't like to mess with her natural oils.

Oooh I never wash bums! Lol I brush them - but don't get up close and personal, you know, under the tail and all that - never really needed to. I don't do the girls udders either - bad me. Hmm. They look okay?

I am absolutely NOT allowed to touch Gracie's udder or teats! She squeals loudly, flattens her ears.... and I've never pushed it further. So I'm ashamed to admit she's never been cleaned. For all I know she could be gunked up and sore. Hmmm... next time vet is out I may get them to give her a shot of sedative and investigate. Bum occasionally gets a wipe with baby wipe....or washed when she's being bathed.

I can sort of update this.

I have found a way to clean bits and pieces by accident. Or should I put why didn't I think of it before, well I just didn't because I don't know everything and neither does the cob, the books suggest a sponge. Trust me her bum eats them along with the vets thermometer!!!

I can sort of update this.

I have found a way to clean bits and pieces by accident. Or should I put why didn't I think of it before, well I just didn't because I don't know everything and neither does the cob, the books suggest a sponge. Trust me her bum eats them along with the vets thermometer!!!
Haha, Raf's bum regularly eats his tail hair and recently it ate the fillet string on his fleece (still attached both ends to the rug thankfully). He does a funny squirm when I pull the offending items out :p

What is your new method?

newrider.com