Newbie with a query about self-employed BHS qualified instructors

Token funny bitch

Nov 19, 2017
North West England
Morning!

I will come back and elaborate further later on but just want to know if anyone is aware of any professional code of conduct or standards that individual BHS qualified riding instructors are still required to uphold regardless of whether they work within an approved riding school or are rogue and self-employed?

*Edited following email from BHS which I'm expecting to hear further from later along with any / all relevant information and advice following which I'll update and post again. Hopefully will have something :)

Last edited:
The term "rogue" is and was by no means derogatory. :confused: Surprised that was even picked up on at all to be honest but to clarify what I mean - referring to going rogue is someone that goes it alone / works on a private basis away from confines, rules, regulations and certain restrictions of a formal setting. That's it.

Anyway it is looking increasingly like she doesn't have any training or qualification at all but we'll find out soon enough I guess.

The bhs has a list of qualified instructors. You can simply look that up or call them.

My current RI is not on the list but she IS qualified, it just means she hasn't paid up her insurance this year. Not a problem because she never rides my horse.

I questioned the use of the word "rogue" too. When I thought about it I did realise what you were trying to say, but it really wasn't the right word to use ;) I just assumed English wasn't your first language.

Reactions: Cortrasna
The bhs has a list of qualified instructors. You can simply look that up or call them.

My current RI is not on the list but she IS qualified, it just means she hasn't paid up her insurance this year. Not a problem because she never rides my horse.

Yeah already searched and had some back and forth with BHS but there's not the slightest trace. The issue is more with her conduct more than anything and made me wonder whether individuals are bound by specific rules, regulations or minimum standard or not forced to do things as they would in a BHS approved school and whatnot.

Anyway soon as I have a better idea and response I'll update.

Thank you! :)

Oh dear... hope I'm not embroiled or amongst people that don't like words and phrases. o_O

Well yes as it happens I suspect you might be - on the whole we are a pretty easy going bunch and wouldn't; dream of pulling people up on anything as crass and unimportant as grammar or spelling errors - however we will pick to pieces a phrase that might be considered derogatory and unfair and sweeping to any section of the forum be it, beginners, old hands at the game or professionals within the horse industry. We call it enjoying a forum with a wide range of horse owners and riders that all feel quite comfortable on here.

Well....that is how I view this forum anyway - feel free to disagree anybody, we enjoy a bit of that too from time to time! :p:rolleyes:

Well yes as it happens I suspect you might be - on the whole we are a pretty easy going bunch and wouldn't; dream of pulling people up on anything as crass and unimportant as grammar or spelling errors - however we will pick to pieces a phrase that might be considered derogatory and unfair and sweeping to any section of the forum be it, beginners, old hands at the game or professionals within the horse industry. We call it enjoying a forum with a wide range of horse owners and riders that all feel quite comfortable on here.

Well....that is how I view this forum anyway - feel free to disagree anybody, we enjoy a bit of that too from time to time! :p:rolleyes:
If the words and phrases that you choose to use are insulting then yes, people will probably pull you up on it :rolleyes:

Yeah I sensed that but it's not entirely surprising :D Interesting but not surprising. Often intrigued as to what is considered derogatory, unpleasant and offensive within specific groups and how it varies so much even between groups that are closely linked.

I handle investigations and inspections which I always start by trawling through electronic records and handwritten notes kept by staff to spot patterns in things like style, wording and tone of each entry. I also use them to help identify whether certain terminology is understood in the same context amongst everyone within the same field. I'm sad but it's interesting.

Amazing how much you can tell about someone from how and what they write but there you go. I'm off to take the dogs for a wander and get everyone bedded down :)

I was a bit surprised by the word 'rogue' too, but I realised that it wasn't meant in a derogatory manner, just as the OP cites the definition. Can't help with the original question, but welcome to the forum @Token funny bitch :)

I was a bit surprised by the word 'rogue' too, but I realised that it wasn't meant in a derogatory manner, just as the OP cites the definition. Can't help with the original question, but welcome to the forum @Token funny bitch :)
Thank you Bodshi!! :):)

Just met a chap who remarked on my eldest dog “Now that's a real strong bitch!!” and my daughter threw such a look because even though she knows and understands its use and meaning she hates anyone referring to her as a “bitch”:D

Just met a chap who remarked on my eldest dog “Now that's a real strong bitch!!” and my daughter threw such a look because even though she knows and understands its use and meaning she hates anyone referring to her as a “bitch”:D

Haha, how old is your daughter? Please don't tell me she's 25!

Amazing how much you can tell about someone from how and what they write but there you go.
Well you haven't told us anything since you are popping back.
If you have issues with an instructors conduct the door is over there, don't rebook them. Or you actually speak them and sort. :)

Just realised I edited the OP and removed the info / background and reason for asking about information sorry.

Had to move horses recently as a short-term, temporary measure due to issues we had on our land which needs considerable work and just wasn't safe so I was lucky to find someone only a few miles away that had space and offered to let us move in straight away.

Lovely little yard only 5 or 6 stables and I got on well with the YO and his daughter (both live on site) but from the day we moved this one woman was a particularly unpleasant and consistent pain in my arse. First week she was away I had a very quiet, hushed friendly heads up about her from the YO and another lass on the yard about her being very direct, blunt, just saying whatever she thinks and it tends to upset people. She's a qualified instructor and then talk of how she won't stand for nonsense and God in Heaven she soon put that horse of hers straight and got that attitude out of him... The more he talked the more I was sure we'd be unlikely to end up besties so I'd give her a wide berth and very little to work with over and above a civil, friendly polite sort of thing.

From the first day she did the weirdest things almost daily i.e. going in and out the stables, dicking around moving water buckets from one side the the other, re-hanging hay nets, putting on head collars or taking them off – just random stuff.

Twice I've seen her crack her own horse right round the face for nothing and it was far too casual for my liking. I don't care, criticise or jump in with any opinions about how people treat and handle horses but it showed she is quite happy to casually, almost effortlessly whack a horse in full view of everyone and I don't want her anywhere near mine with that attitude.

Then one night when it was forecast -2 and I bobbed back down just to do last checks, make sure they warm, settled and they weren't in the stable. She'd decided to just turn them out all night – naked and without a reason or a single word. This sort of thing carried on and I spoke with the YO but it wasn't tackled then one morning earlier this week she couldn't help herself.

Stomped over telling me I'm not feeding one horse enough and she's “had” to go in and give him extra hay and take the net away from the other who is far too fat and she had a duty of care to report horses whose owners are not providing them with suitable care...

That got my attention. I knew she was a self-employed instructor, had a reputation and fondness for bullying which nobody dared challenge and ordinarily she wouldn't bother me but citing a professional duty of care, pulling rank and accusing me of all this shit I just wasn't having it :mad:

Gave her several reasons why she can't justify anything, why her behaviour and conduct has been so appalling it placed both at even greater risk. One has a diagnosed condition, takes meds daily and the other has been steadily losing weight since I got him.

She of all people knows you can't go round feeding horses and turning them out / bringing them in or deciding to do as and when but she made it even worse using her professional qualification to throw her weight about even more.

Scuttled off and has since been very quiet but I wanted to know if she - even as a self-employed / freelance / private riding instructor or otherwise - is still bound by a professional duty of care and requirements and responsibilities.

Lot of uncertainly and I think much depends on if, how and in what way she offers her services but when I do know anything more helpful I'll update.

Sorry for the confusion I forgot about having edited the original post.

Gosh you could have been talking about my ex instructor then. Definately had views and even when she went to teach anyone would share those views with anyone else not having lesson on yards.
You might want to be checking up on the natural horsemanship area of qualifications as well.

I did once have a world horse welfare person tell me my horse was fat and could be reported, they were on holiday at the time. So yes she probably thinks she is bound by a duty of care at all times.

Welcome to the forum.

She sounds like a total nightmare and my first question is why on earth the YO isn't slinging her off!!

But in response to your question, I am in a protected profession (ie you can't call yourself one of me unless you are qualified and registered) and there is a clear code of conduct that I am bound by in my personal and working life. And that cuts both ways - I DO have a duty of care even when I am 'off duty' and at the same time I am held to a certain standard of professionalism which means if I act improperly then I can be reported and if necessary de-registered.

It is also unacceptable for someone to pretend to be in a protected profession if they are not.

The behaviour you are describing is completely inappropriate. Either she is or is not actually a BHS instructor. If she is, then I imagine they have a regulatory framework & reporting structure you can use to say that one of 'their' instructors is acting in this way. I would hope thewy would take action.

If she isn't but is publicly claiming she is and offering services on that basis, then that is fraudulent and her insurance is likely to be invalid etc. I am not sure who you would go to about that. Trading Standards?

ETA I 'went rogue' years ago and have been fully self employed since. Best thing I ever did :D:D

Makes no difference to the expectations placed on me or my responsibilities to uphold the code of conduct. And I am still fully bound by the regulatory framework.

newrider.com