Newbie wanting your views

SammiW

Apr 4, 2019
WARNING VERY LONG POST
Hi I’m new to the forum, have been reading the posts but first time I’ve posted. So a bit about me - I used to ride years ago, owned my own horses and taught lessons then had a break of 20 years while I got a full time job and had a family.
I’ve now got back into riding and the passion is back in full force lol my twin girls aged 10 have also started lessons and are cantering and popping small jumps. Anyway onto my dilemma the yard we ride at is lovely but expensive £17 each for 1/2 an hour private lesson. My sister and nieces also ride here. My issue with them is I have asked if me and the girls can stay for a couple of hours on the yard so I can show them how to muck out, groom, tack up etc but they have said they don’t need any extra help. So I got in touch with my old riding teacher and yard owner. We had a lesson with her and she let the girls groom and I showed them how to untack. (Cost £7.50 each for an hour and felt it was equal to other yard) We all really enjoyed it. The problem I have is that my nieces left this yard because my eldest niece had a falling out with the YO daughter so I kind of feel disloyal and split as to what to do. I really like the yard I go to but don’t think my girls will be given the opportunity to learn about horse care if I stay there
Sorry for long post but felt needed to explain full story

Not really sure why you would have to feel bad about choosing to go there, it's up to them if they don't, but they (royal they) can't expect you to a) pay more than double and b) learn less, just because they couldn't get along.

Reactions: Huggy
Thanks for replying. I’m very much a people pleaser and also my girls and nieces are very close but as I’ve explained to my girls you don’t get to see them at the stables because you can’t stay after your lesson.

Reactions: Jessey
I can't see a problem, it's not as though you're expecting your nieces to go there. If you said you weren't happy with the yard they're at because they wouldn't let your daughters stay to help would they immediately stop going there? I doubt it, so stop making problems for yourself where none exist.

To be fair to the yard you were using I think insurance & health & safety makes many yards reluctant to have people help out, it isn't worth the potential paperwork & hassle. I also don't think £17 for a half hour private lesson is expensive, where I am that would be cheap even if you were taking your own horse.

I completely get that allowing people to help out can be difficult due to insurance etc but that’s not the case with this yard as my nieces already help out there anyway

Don't think you should worry - you've found the ideal place for yours and your daughters needs, and as carthorse says, if the situation was reversed, would you be cross with your nieces? Just enjoy the fact that you've found somewhere that suits.

Reactions: SammiW
newrider.com