Newbie here

Rochelle987

Jul 27, 2021
Hello I'm completely new to this world, my partner is dragging me into the horsey world, baring in mind I stroked a horse, for the first time in years, the other month. any advice for a 24 year old that has zero experience with horses?

Hello and welcome. Don't force yourself to be involved - dip your toe in and see how you feel. There's little middle ground with horses - you'll either fall for it completely, or not at all. My OH has very little interest, apart from loving my horse because I do - he hardly ever has anything to do with him, but supports me in my addiction! Baby steps to start and you might get sucked in! Let us know how you go.

Reactions: Lollykay
Hello and welcome. Don't force yourself to be involved - dip your toe in and see how you feel. There's little middle ground with horses - you'll either fall for it completely, or not at all. My OH has very little interest, apart from loving my horse because I do - he hardly ever has anything to do with him, but supports me in my addiction! Baby steps to start and you might get sucked in! Let us know how you go.
thank you, I'm just a little weary as I have never been around horses before more than anything. I'm slowly trying to move to holding a lead rope etc and expanding from that... I sound pathetic haha. I'm sure i'll enjoy it when I get to my OH level but at the minute i'm so far behind i'm almost going backwards

Hi welcome to NR. I agree just take your time and don't force it to happen, it will or it won't but if your OH is horsey you have access to see if it will :)

thank you, I'm just a little weary as I have never been around horses before more than anything. I'm slowly trying to move to holding a lead rope etc and expanding from that... I sound pathetic haha. I'm sure i'll enjoy it when I get to my OH level but at the minute i'm so far behind i'm almost going backwards
Not pathetic at all! Take it slowly - only do what you're comfortable doing. Horses are big animals, capable of injuring - usually inadvertently - a little wariness is not a bad thing. I had my first horse for 26 years, but when I got my present one, who is a totally different character, I was very wary for a few months. Just do the bits you enjoy - even if it's just a few strokes and pats - until you feel happy to lead or groom or whatever.

newrider.com