Newbie here saying G'day from Australia

Soozie B

Dec 7, 2022
I'm 58 and just got my first horse after a lifetime of wanting one. Not overly in with all the technical mumbo jumbo - I have a lot to learn. I have gathered a heap of second hand gear to enable me to ride my boy who is 15.3 hh (which is huge considering I'm 5'3"). For now I'm happy just establishing a relationship with him and letting him know he can trust me.

He doesn't seem to want too much to do with me yet tho. I go towards him and he throws his head around, does this funny thing with his tongue by sticking it out and doing a type of yawn. I'm not sure what message he's trying to tell me.

Any feedback would be great.

Thx Soozie

Reactions: GaryB
Hi šŸ‘‹ welcome to NR.
A yawn, big wide open mouth, often twisting the head to the side and tongue lolling out the side of their mouth, is often a tension/stress release happening right in front of you, not a message as such, nothing bad for sure. Is he kept with other horses?
We like pictures here by the way, so share a pic of your boy if you can šŸ˜

Thank you Jessey for explaining that. That's a huge relief really as he is a retired pacer (racing) and when I got him he was very closed off. This thing he does with his mouth might mean I am actually making headway with him.

He is in a paddock with 2 sheep. I'm looking to get him a paddock buddy pony which my granddaughter who lives with me (tragic family breakdown) can use. I just have to wait for the right one to come along who can repair a little girls heart.

He has made the most wonderful connection with a puppy that I bought my granddaughter. They are almost inseparable.

Reactions: Jessey
He's a terror of a terrier at the moment haha. Just turned 6 months old and testing every boundry as they do as they learn.

I will see if I can catch Soldier Boys yawn tomorrow. Thx so much this is very helpful

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey
As a UK rider, I dont think 15.3 is huge for your height. I am the same height as you and my RI always told me to buy something 15 h - 15.3. My best horse was 15.2. My current share is also 15. 2

The reason she and I preferred 15 hands is that a horse has a longer smoother stride than a pony. One can sit trot more easily and not have to rise so quickly when rising in trot. The canter is likely to be smoother too, or judging from the ponies I rode when the horse was out of action.

Reactions: Soozie B
Hello and welcome. I'm 5ft 2 (I think lol) and 15.3hh is quite big, well least it can feel big. Though have a 17.2hh and he does feel rather large. My connie who is now retired was 15hh and fitted me well, but for my next horse I'm looking for something smaller height wise. I guess it's what you feel comfy with. I am guessing the more you get to know your lovely boy, the less big he will feel:)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Hello, great to see you here. Thanks for the pictures of your boy and your tearaway terrier pup who is super cute.

I'm 5 ft 2 and my horses have been 14.1 and 14.3, plenty big enough for me, but they are wide. If Soldier Boy is not too wide I think you would fit him well. I just don't like heights!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Hello and welcome. I'm 5ft 2 (I think lol) and 15.3hh is quite big, well least it can feel big. Though have a 17.2hh and he does feel rather large. My connie who is now retired was 15hh and fitted me well, but for my next horse I'm looking for something smaller height wise. I guess it's what you feel comfy with. I am guessing the more you get to know your lovely boy, the less big he will feel:)
Thank you. Seeming I can walk under his head without having to duck down he will always seem big lol. But he is naturally gentle, so he can be my gentle giant lol

Hello, great to see you here. Thanks for the pictures of your boy and your tearaway terrier pup who is super cute.

I'm 5 ft 2 and my horses have been 14.1 and 14.3, plenty big enough for me, but they are wide. If Soldier Boy is not too wide I think you would fit him well. I just don't like heights!
Thanks. He is quite lean being an ex racer. So my little legs fit across his back without too much effort.

The most wonderful thing happened this morning at 5 am. The sheep started baa-ing very loudly in distress. I raced outside to the paddock to scare a fox off who decided my lamb (who I have hand reared) would've make a good meal. They all saw me coming and Soldier Boy actually came to me for comfort. This is the first time he's done this in the 6 months I have had him when I don't have a bucket of food with me. Breakthrough during adversity šŸ’ž

newrider.com