new to the competitive jumper world

hiddenequine

Nov 8, 2005
Ok so I feel pretty stupid asking you all this, but no question is a dumb question right? I have competed pretty seriously in eventing for the last couple of years, I could tell you anything about that but I have recently gotten into hunter/ jumpers. My question is as far as day to day work with the horses and also at the shows what are some things that differ in how the horses are taken care of? I know I have major pet peeves about helmet styles and how horses jump and what tack is used when it comes to eventers but as experienced jumpers what pet peeve come to mind so I can go out and get me and my horse a new wardrobe for oour sport. (I guess I mean my new sport, I bought him as a jumper recently) Thanks you guys!

I am both an eventer and a hunter/jumper and let me tell you, confusion abounds when you ride a warmblood with a hunter coach every saturday and a TB with an eventer every sunday (never mind the rest of the week!) I show both disciplines so I hope I can give you some advice...when it comes to day to day work, obviously every horse is different but in general, eventers school to create a bold, fit horse who can get out of trouble cross country, as well as dressage movements that help their horses improve suppleness and self-carriage. Hunters, on the other hand, are generally bred and trained to go in a frame so the emphasis is less on dressage (some trainers even advocate that this precise schooling takes the 'jump' out of their hunters) per se, and more on creating a soft, accepting horse who can canter smoothly down to a jump, find a distance and make it look easy. Therefore hunters are a lot more appearance-oriented. Jumpers essentially all ride in GPA/IRH stripe helmets, black field boots, beige or white breeches, and coloured show shirts. some show in coats, some don't. most use running martingales and jumper boots. a loooooooot of hunters use white sheepskin "jumper" half-pads (the really expensive ones), especially during the summer.
hunters and jumpers are usually rather more pampered than eventers. it takes a certain "make" of horse to do the hunter disciplines, whereas in eventing you can take a 'mutt' out of someone's backyard and go win advanced with him. that's a loooot less common in the hunters. again, h/j is all about style, which means that 'pretty' riders can win a whole lot on their $50k warmbloods, but set them a cross course and they'll be off before the first fence *sigh*. anwho it's an entirely different world out there, at least in Canada and the US! if you're looking for examples of what h/j riders wear to show go to www.aerso.ca, and click on the camera on the right side of the screen, and check out any of the Hodgsons or Pepiniere show pictures (or Kirtons H/J).
dunno if this is at all what you wanted, but there you are. best of luck!

thanks this is exsactly what I was looking for! Any other advise like this would be great. My event horse was a TB but i know exsactly what you mean by being let pampered. My new horse is a PRINCESS for sure! Any other things like fads and such all my new jumper friends all where sparkly belts, I know my event trainer would have had a fit about that! I wasnt even aloud to wear pink at the barn. As far as coats and such what are popular brands h/j like? I guess my charles owen event helemt wont be in use any more, or my top hat to come to think of it!

Roxyrox is right. It is all about style. It is all about presentation too. In cross country, your horse boldly goes to the fence, jumps it, and gallops off (Don't worry, I know it is a lot harder than that :p ) Anyway, In hunters, judges look for perfect distance, perfect form, perfect balance, and perfect manners. You don't want your horse to buck or appear out of control.

Clothing wise, it is all about neatness, as in dressage. But, if your horse is not "of another color" I would wear something to make yourself stand out. Like said before-pink shirt. It works. Maybe even try a dark burgandy hunt coat, if everyone else has green and black. You want to be a little different, but don't overdue it!!!

this is all great thanks! Ok so my horse is dark bay with a couple of markings. Nothing "special" besides his jump of course, about him. I plan on doing mostly jumpers but my new trainer would like to see me do some hunters too. As far as brands of tack and clothing what can you suggest? I am all about spending the money on it, I have bought way to many cheap leather items to make that mistake any more. He doesnt have any problems as far as throwing his head so I have used a breastplate and saddle set up, real simple, but I am looking for nice brands that h/j like. Thanks again! Also, I will be doing juniors any other fads that girls my age use?

Most juniors wear GPA's for helmets (with the occasional IRH or Charles Owen). Personally, I think the GPA's are over-priced and over-hyped, but they are pretty much all I see in the junior classes, other than an occasional IRH or GR8.

Full seat breeches are very rare in H/J. Most people seem to wear TS or Ariat side-zips in either puke-green or tan. Grand Prix, Ariat, TS, and RJ Classics coats are all popular. Jumpers often don't wear coats and may just wear a polo shirt. Hunters generally wear grey, tan, or blue coats these days. Coats with constrasting linings are popular. Most hunter riders wear solid-colored shirts with monogramed collars.

The hunters generally have either half-pads or fitted sheepskin pads. Jumper riders sometimes do white or colored square pads. Hunters can't wear boots. Jumpers will usually wear open-fronts (either leather or something like Eskadrons) in front.

Last edited:
newrider.com