New to everything

Kerrie Aussie

Jan 16, 2015
Hi All,
I have been watching this site and now joining in. I am 58, live in Australia and just bought my 1st horse and learning to ride and all the other joys that go with it. I bought an 8yo bay T/B 15.3hh gelding from a trail riding business and he is the love of my life. After coming out of my dressage saddle 3 times I have changed to a stock saddle and its great. It saved me twice on the 1st ride. At my age I'm not too keen to hit the ground any more. Over here we call dressage saddles "easy emptyers" and as I found out with good reason. I'm at the learning to trot stage and grateful my boy Archie is patient and calm. :)

Welcome to NR:) Archie sounds a real sweetheart; we'd love to see some photos if you are happy to post them (also of the gorgeous dog in your profile pic :)).

P.S. The forum is mainly up of UK people so it's quite quiet at this time but I guarantee everyone will be around to say hello in a few hours (I just can't sleep so I'm around at odd hours) :D

Hello and welcome to NR :) I am never up in the wee small hours but can usually be found lurking during our daylight hours (supposedly working) your horse sounds like a treasure and look forward to hearing all about your adventures.

HELLO from Ma USA.
It's 5am here

At my age I'm not too keen to hit the ground any more. Over here we call dressage saddles "easy emptyers" and as I found out with good reason. I'm at the learning to trot stage and grateful my boy Archie is patient and calm. :)

Oh I know that feeling. I don't bend and bounce like I used to!

He sounds awesome can't wait to see photos!

Welcome :D He looks lovely, very fit and lean (as I think they should be) what do you plan to do with him long term? do you have any grand ambiotions or just want to enjoy horsey time like so many of us?

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
At the moment I'll be happy with being able to ride confidently enough to go on trail rides and enjoy. Then I will have a go at t shirt dressage ( I should be able to stay in the saddle by then). I have booked into a ridden clinic in March so will have new ground exercises to do. We both need a lot of education so I'm glad I bought a young horse to grow with.

Yes, no plaiting manes and white joddies or bling. I haven't been yet but have been told that you get a lot of different breeds like paints and clydies.

What a gorgeous boy! He does look very fit and well :)
I like the sound of T shirt dressage too.

There is a story to how he looks. When I bought him he was a very chunky boy, most people thought he was a quarter horse. I agisted him at my RS for 3 weeks to get to know him and have lessons including how to saddle. I was told to count the girth holes for tightness but we did not know he was not a good doer and he lost weight quickly. I decided to be brave one Sunday when everyone was at pony club and saddle up and ride on my own. My ability to fling myself on his back at that stage was very poor ( I was getting a push up from my RI) and I heaved all my weight into the stirrup which promptly spun the saddle around and I slammed into the milk crate and ended up under his belly. Bless him, he didn't move a muscle but I had a huge lesson. So, hence the food bin, I fed him up till he was a chunky boy again. He is now just on pasture and liquorice treats but I have a huge mental block when I go to get on. Foot in, foot out of the stirrup until I will myself to just get on.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
Hello and welcome. Archie looks wonderful and Quest adorable. Looking forward to hearing all about your horsey adventures. Your no frills dressage sound right up my street. [emoji4]

Welcome to New Rider, He looks and sounds like a dear boy.

One of the nicest, sanest kindest horses I have ever met was and of Track Tb racehorse.

newrider.com