New to Cantering, kind of embarrassing...

Are you talking about a sound that comes as your seat is released from the saddle?
If I press the palms of my hands together and they are slightly damp, and then pull them apart, there is a little pop. I am not a scientist, but I think it is caused by beaking the vacuum.

I have not had it happen when riding. But I can imagine it happening in canter, depending on the type of jods one was wearing and the type of sadle. Cotton jods and an old leather saddle (which I ride in) might be less likely to produce the sound than a squashy, synthetic saddle and nylon or sticky seat jods.

Sitting deep in the saddle in canter is not a fault and I wouldnt worry about the noise.

I get the feeling the popping sound is more to do with 'wind' than the vacuum between jods and saddle!! :p :D

Have to admit I've never had this problem myself. Chances are no one can hear it over the sound of the horses hooves - and if they do all you can do is deny it!! :eek:

I get the feeling the popping sound is more to do with 'wind' than the vacuum between jods and saddle!! :p :D

Have to admit I've never had this problem myself. Chances are no one can hear it over the sound of the horses hooves - and if they do all you can do is deny it!! :eek:

ah, well i have never had that problem.

i seem to have embarassed myself again :eek:

I also take the 'pretend its the horse' line ;) Just keep a totally straight face as if you haven't noticed and no one will think anything of it. Horse's bottoms, sheaths (urhh, I have mares myself) and saddles make all kinds of noises so anyone hearing anything won't expect it to be coming from you ;)

no, this is not from me 'breaking wind!' anyway, I had another lesson, and it didn't happen anymore. This is probably because I was using a different saddle on the occasion that I heard the popping. I don't know what caused it, but it's gone!!!

I read all of the 'kinder way' things about different gaits and I can't wait to try them out in my lesson on Thursday!

I had the exact same problem, and the answer is ................ wear tighter undercrackers!! if i wore my loose cotton undies it happened, then when i wore a tighter pair of bridget jones pants it stopped. It was even worse when i went comando lol. I bet the pants u wore last were tighter werent they lol. Hehe what us women have to go through!!!

newrider.com