New stables ~ thoughts... Help

Nikita

Jun 16, 2015
Hi, I have been riding around 9 months now, and have recently moved to a new stables (in January). One thing that is bugging me is that I'm not doing as much trotting as I would like to . Im starting to get a bit bored at a walk, (we don't have an arena, just hacks) and we hardly do any trotting. I feel that I'm not learning anything by not trotting and just feel my progress is coming to an abrupt stop... A girl there has been riding for four years and is only just learning how to jump, and is still on leadrein on a Arab horse! Should I move??? Please give your honest opinion

I'd speak to your instructor and explain you don't feel like you are making progress. It maybe they don't want to rush you for a reason but if you really are feeling that you are getting bored you need to tell them. However if they are a riding school Im surprised they don't have an arena to ride in so on that basis I'd change riding school to one that does where you can learn to improve rather than just go out hacking.

Thanks for your reply, and she has already explained that she is over cautious, and they do have an outdoor arena, but it isn't big enough for a group lesson :( but yeah I'm going to stay and see how it goes. If not, then I'll try find another stables (a new one with a huge ourdoor arena) ☺️

Reactions: candyman
If you like the place then perhaps booking private lessons would be a good compromise, honestly I find I learn more in a 1 hour private lesson than doing an all day group clinic so always pick that option where possible.

Reactions: Keren@serendipity
Is it more a trekking centre? As others have said I'd speak to the ri and see if you could arrange a private lesson every now and then. x

Well, they have an outdoor arena, but we don't really go I there often at all. Only If the others don't come though, and only experienced riders go there so they can jump. And it is sort of a trekking centre that teaches you to ride. But I think my progress is coming to a stop there though, but they are so friendly there. Also I'm 14 by the way... :)

Yes I remember when I was 14 and I was horse mad, enthusiastic and I loved a challenge, maybes that's the problem, whilst you love spending time with the horses and of course riding, you maybes need to be pushed a little more so you feel your progressing and can see when you've achieved something Iike jumped, cantered,etc. Are you able to help there at weekends maybe? Most riding schools welcome extra pairs of hands and it will give you more time around the horses/ponies, which I'm sure you would love. At 14 all I did was eat,sleep,school and horses, I lived in school uniform or jodhpurs Lol.x

You just described me exactly, but no they don't except help from novices like me, only experienced. But I really want to :( the problem is they don't push me, even though I want to progress, but she has already explained this too me when I joined Also at the other stable you can loan a horse for £25 a week, and it's closer to where I live.

Couldn't you place a ad in your local saddlery worded something like... Help offered, horse mad, kind, enthusiastic teenager, very willing to learn and keen to gain experience, very willing to help with yard duties and grooming etc in exchange for...would just love to spend time with horses/ponies and gain more knowledge about something I love. Riding not essential although would be happy to if able, but equally happy just spending time with horse/ponies.

My advice would be to be confident in walk, trot, canter and with basic stable management before considering loaning one, you could do with someone taking you under their wing first IMO. x

Reactions: Keren@serendipity
Tikkitti, I think OP means you can loan a RS horse - so from my experience you get a lesson a week and then a certain amount of other days to ride too but you basically help out down the yard too. If that us how they run it I think it would be fantastic for you OP. Have a look at the other place, you could always book an assessment lesson to see how you like the place?

If the current yard is a trekking centre, that's fine but they should be teaching you on hacks too IMO, giving you varying experiences. I think it'll provide you with a good foundation though as many just start out riding in a school and hacking out becomes a massive culture shock.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Ah right I see, sorry maybes read wrongly, I was thinking of a livery local to us where YO goes to Ireland brings horses/ponies back then loans to stay on his yard only. He has a sign horses to loan at the end of the farm track, I suppose he's making his own business and apparently has a waiting list of potential loaners, the only thing being as many horses come from Ireland green the local Ai's have a roaring trade, although he does have some experienced owner liveries so I suppose they are there to offer advice if needed. x​

Yes, I think I will try out the other one, and really want to be around horses (not necessarily riding them) more than just once a week. I want to work with horses in the future (a horse psychologist maybe) so the more experience I can get with a variety of different horses the better. Also at my current yard, there is only one horse that is suitable for my height and ability, but he can't jump, so when I am at that stage, who would I learn to jump on? Also the loan horse will be with my sister and niece (my sister is 32 and is properly experience and my niece is same ability as me) so she would help teach me and help me care for the horse :) I just feel that my parents (so generous and nice) are paying every week, even though I'm not learning much new. I would love to just help care for a horse, no pay just want the experience and maybe a ride, but not essential. Thanks to all who gave advice and you really helped me, giving me different points of view and options x

If you have someone like your sister then a loan will no doubt work well, I'm sure with a bit of guidance you will pick everything up in no time, if your willing to learn most people will be happy to offer advice, everyone learns at some stage in fact you never stop learning with horses. x

I will don't worry, my knowledge with horses is still growing. So I will need help in order to expand my learning. Thank you to everyone who has helped me so far. My instructor says she might get another school horse, and I might be able to loan it, but she will still be there to help me and teach me :) be prepared there are more questions to come :p

I was learning at a riding school private lessons once a week for a year, I got up to cantering but I wanted more experience around the horses. Out of the blue by commenting on a Facebook post I found myself a horse share. The horse is perfect for my ability and so patient. I didn't even know how to put the bridle / saddle on or anything when I started but in 2 months I've gained so much confidence and can now bring him in from field tack him up and ride him alone in the school (hacks next). I think you'd do better in another riding school where you could also volunteer - at my old riding school teenagers helped out in exchange for lessons so that why get the experience and lessons. Good luck

newrider.com