New saddle, magnesium, sticky out feet etc.

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Sorry mods not sure quite where this one belongs - feel free to move if you can work out its true home!;)

Well had the saddler/saddle fitter out today to hopefully find (at long last) a saddle that fits both me and JJ. His Duett just was too damn big for him and hated it with a vengeance! Do NOT buy online their after sales service is total crap IMO!.

Anyway - out came lovely saddler man with oodles of lovely saddles to try - had set my heart on a Keiffer much to OH disgust when he realised the price. Explained that in the last 3 weeks JJ had ballooned despite still being on the same lean grazing as usual and had to apologize for his rather 'frisky' attitude as we measured him etc. Explained I had stopped using Relax Me and just got him on plain magnesium last 3 weeks and felt it didnt calm him quite as much as the RM.

Guy said he thinks the Relax Me is brilliant stuff and also good at keeping the 'fat pockets' off these good doers/cobby types, suggested that might be why he has put weight on recently due to stopping the RM? (He is now back on the RM pretty damn quick!:eek:)

anyways - tried one of the saddlers own saddles first - gorgeous, comfy, actually found my little sticky out feet seemed to be less sticky outey and my lower leg hung almost exactly where it should be! Eureeka!! Then tried 2 different Keifers - hated them! Uncomfortable, JJ had his ears pinned back the whole time I rode in them.:confused: Then tried another couple of rather more expensive ones but was heartily relieved that the one that suited both of us best was the cheapest, hows that for luck - OH couldnt believe that Id actually bought the cheapest saddle on offer - E895 - so all in all not a bad price.

He also noted that I was not happy with the fit of JJs full size bridle so took a shifty and said it all fitted fine apart from the brow band too tight so pulling the bridle onto his ears. Took that with him to make a tad bigger and is popping it in the post to me along with some yokes to tie my stirrups into the girth area to help me cure my sticky out tootsies.:D Says will make my leg muscles ache for a bit but should help retrain my dodgy old pins to stay where they should be.:eek:

Shall get some piccys tomorrow of me trying the new saddle and see if you think it sits me where I should be so to speak?

Lovely day - all went well for a change - even felt cheeful enough to tackle the housework this afternoon!;):D

Thanks so much for this - I was struggling to understand how madams fat pockets had balooned so much over about three days... I took her off slimline, perhaps it was doing something locally...just not all over :p:D

And yay, nothing quite like a enw saddle ;):D:p

Yes where are the pictures?!!
Nothing like a new saddle to refocus and make things feel so optimistic. Funny that you had exactly the same experience re bridle size! I have had to get a bigger brow band made for my big lump.

What is the name of this saddler? I know of someone who is looking for a someone to make saddles for her, and he sounds like he knows his stuff :cool:

kathyt1- It is Damien Goodwin - they are in Dublin so unless your friend is over here on the emerald isle might not be much help? Makes gorgeous saddles though - really pleased with mine - no piccys so far though as have been very busy trying to track someone down so not much riding time - will get on to it tomorrow.:)

newrider.com