New saddle... but possibly stolen hat!

happy_bunny

Apr 12, 2008
St Mellons, Cardiff
My saddle fitter came back today and I am now the proud owner of a brand new synthetic Thorowgood T4 cob saddle which fits madam like a glove! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Can't wait to start riding again but can't today because someone has pinched my hat :stomp::stomp::stomp:

It was a bit embarrassing as well coz the fitter said to go and get the stirrups, girth, bridle, hat etc and then I couldn't find my hat anywhere. Ended up borrowing one off one of the other girls but I haven't a clue where its gone :stomp:
There was no-one else around to ask either as they had all gone to the pub for lunch... I'm hoping someone has just borrowed it but think it might have been stolen as there have been a few new liveries joined recently and they have started keeping the tackroom key under a brick near the door :stomp: :frown:

How frustrating lucky it wasn't the rest of your tack. Thats all you need after splashing out on a new saddle.

Hopefully its been placed somewhere by someone for safe keeping, someone on the yard I was on had their hat stolen, I find it weird to steal a hat - what if it didnt fit correctly or had been dropped by the owner ?

You will be surprized I know someone who bought a hat for their 4 year old kid at a tack sale for 50p it must have had some trauma in its life and the lining was missing se showed it to me with a great sense of pride. I wouldn't even use it for collecting chicken eggs :frown::redcarded:

I'm just annoyed coz I was looking forward to having a nice long ride after not being able to ride for ages and now I can't coz I haven't got a hat :stomp:

It just seems to be one thing after another, like the universe is conspiring to stop me riding my horse :banghead:

Most likely some one has borrowed it and forgot to put it back..
Actually I don't think "borrowing" a hat without telling the hats owner is on at all.My hat is locked up & never lend my hat to anyone anyway & yes if someone asks I do say no.Hope it hasn't been stolen & turns up again.

Actually I don't think "borrowing" a hat without telling the hats owner is on at all.My hat is locked up & never lend my hat to anyone anyway & yes if someone asks I do say no.Hope it hasn't been stolen & turns up again.

Borrowing being probably how they see it.. words along the line of "Such a person won't mind if I borrow her hat" then forgot to replace it, and is now worried that now its been noticed to be missing, they may try to replace it when nobody's about..
I have this problem on my yard.. people borrow something, then take offence when I get annoyed when something goes missing.. haynets, a bottle of blue chip calmer (worth £25!), a bottle of hibiscrub... they assume its free for all, but get offended when I suggest that I'm going to padlock the lot up in future:banghead:
I'm used to having a back place, where I can store all my valuables.. can't do it on this yard, so have to store stuff in communal tack/feed room.. People have been known to go into my stable and TAKE my haynets, to pool them with their crappy ones:stomp: Borrowing with out asking is one of my sore spots.... I get really cross when it happens, so know exactly how the op feels.. stealing a hat is under the belt, and I know my haynets were only £4 each.. but when the other liveries nets are knackered, they get thrown away, and the use the nearest decent net they can find (usually mine!).. they even go through my bins/box chest looking for nets to 'borrow'...

Last edited:
Nobody seems to know anything about it at the yard - we share small tackrooms between 3-4 people and there is a new lady who is sharing mine who seems to always have a group of random kids with her (different ones each time...?) so I think it might be a case of taking mine because they didn't have enough to go round or something :stomp: I wouldn't mind if it had been put back!
Also I am moving off the yard tomorrow so I'm not going to have much chance to quiz people about it :banghead:
I got a new one today tho - I'm thinking even if my original one does turn up it is always good to have a spare

What a cheek borrowing somebodies hat! Do hope it turns up - how vexing. I wouldn't dream of doing that, as somebody else has already said, you don't know if it could have been dropped - never mind that it probably wouldn't be a good fit!

I did used to get annoyed on the yard we were on, nets, forks, food - you name it, it used to "walk"....and then I had to go hunting for it, used to find my stuff all over the place.........

newrider.com