New rider, new boots!

CollieChris

May 20, 2015
Hi all! After a break of about 10 years, I've recently decided to start riding again. I was never exactly what you would call proficient even when I was riding before, my experience basically was around six months of weekly lessons. Then we got a mortgage! Anyway, my dilemma is this. When I first started, I used short boots and chaps provided buy the riding school, but really didn't find them comfortable. So then I went on to long rubber boots which whilst we're much more supportive, we're also very rigid on the ankle. So now I've got to buy boots again, I was thinking long leather ones might be the best bet? Ideally I'd like this to be the last time I buy any for a long time! lol!

Welcome!

To a large extent its personal preference. I have short boots and chaps, and long boots but I prefer the short boots because they are move comfortable when not actually riding. I also found it very difficult to find long boots that I could actually get on my feet (inevitably it is only the most expensive that fit!)

Good long leather boots are usually very expensive, and if you don't keep riding will you have any use for them?

I'm another who prefers short leather boots & chaps because they're more flexible to ride in. Why not go & try some on, the good makes come in a wide range of fittings & styles so you may find some that give the support you want. And if you decide not to keep up the riding then you'll probably find that short boots are useful for walking, gardening etc.

It's down to personal choice though, the best bet is to go to a good shop & try different ones on.

Short boots and half chaps would most likely be cheaper and probably offer up more flexibility in your lessons. I remember switching to long leather boots after about six months - lol not sure why apart from I was a bit lazy about keeping the half chaps clean, they seemed to attract yard mud!
I like Mountain Horse high riders, they come ina really good range of sizes and fits, not cheap but are comfy straight away.

I wouldn't go for long leather boots, unless you buy expensive £200+ then they tend to be stiff and not very comfy. Also they will take a lot longer to break in if you're only riding once or twice a week. I've got a pair of £350 long boots and hardly ever wear them :oops: I seem to stick to my Ariat short boots and gaiters I find they're more flexible but still supportive, my lower leg is better in them. I also feel more secure jumping in them.

Reactions: orbvalley
Thanks for the replies, it would seem the general consensus is to stick with short boots and chaps then! :) I'll probably try that for a while then and see if I get used to them. All above advice greatly appreciated.

Echo what the others have said - comfy long boots are expensive, anything under £200 seems to be too rigid and uncomfortable. I have a long pair for competition use but for everyday riding I wear Shires Brampton paddock boots and chaps which were really comfy from the first wear.

Another vote for short boots and chaps, I have ariat tellurides and they feel like wearing trainers they are so comfy, I wear mine for work too so do 14+ hours a day in them, every day :) I just add chaps to ride :)

I have short boots for the summer but I don't wear with chaps, I hate the things so I just put long socks on lol Most of the time though, I'm naughty and wear my Ariat Grasmere country boots for riding in - which I shouldn't but I am comfortable enough in my own ability as a rider, my foot position is good and I'm not that worried. That said, they cost me £250...... I would advise wearing short boots and chaps for now but keep your eye on Ebay as second hand deals come up all the time.

I'm another Ariat fan because they're well made, comfortable for all day wear (some of the more expensive short boots are incredible) & come in a wide range of styles & fittings. Having said that you can easily spend as much on a pair of short boots & chaps as you would on a pair of leather long boots! If you go down this route can't suggest strongly enough going to a store where you can try on a variety of styles because fit makes a huge difference.

Love Ariat but they do cost, especially with matching half chaps. My OH doesnt have long boots but he has Ariat short shiny boots with matching Ariat polishjed half chaps - those half chaps cost a lot.

The very very cheapest short boots - ideal for beginning if you are not sure you will go on riding - may not have a further life for walking. Mine wore out in a year, soles slippery too and not waterproof.
It really depends on how you envisage your horsey life. And need to have dual purpose clothes for work and riding - I did help on a yard and still groom, but I wear different boots and very tough old fashioned Wrangler American jeans for working.

Ariat Windermeres are under £200 and a good buy, they are designed for riding and not just country wear and offer flexibility. I loved mine - but wore them out!

Ariats do cost a lot but I had my leather chaps 7 years ago and they still come up like new, so definitely been worth the money! I've worn them loads too! I'm another who often just wears short boots and long socks day to day now. If you're a new rider I'd recommend something cheaper, shires do some synthetic ones which are really comfy I've got a pair from like 8 years ago :eek: and they still fit me lol!
My ariat boots are so comfy I could live in them, like a pair of slippers.

When I started this thread, I was looking at Mountain Horse high rider boots, but I think this afternoons job might be a Google to find local Area stockists!
Thanks for all the help guys!

I am curious about the riding outsole of the Ariats and other similar dual purpose country boots in the UK.
I bought Ariat Western boots with a composition sole designed for riding. But the year after I bought them, a US Ranch riding centre where we were used to riding, said one was not to ride in Western boots with thick composition soles.
So I stopped wearing mine for riding. I still ride in Ariat Terrain dual purpose short boots but their sole is different.

Ariat Windermeres are under £200 and a good buy, they are designed for riding and not just country wear and offer flexibility. I loved mine - but wore them out!

I couldn't get them because they looked stupid on my leg. :-( I wanted those ones but ended up with the Grasmere ones that you could tighten. Silly twiggy legs. I do love them though. I love Ariat boots as a whole, I find them well made and comfy to wear and they do a size 5.5 which is very useful.

newrider.com