New pony?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I am so lost without a pony.

Mattie is astonished at being taken for so many walks, having his legs washed, his bits scratched and his last bits of winter fluff expunged. He seems quite happy and very affectionate but I miss Ziggy, who was either sick and needing care or well and needing things to do.

I've got this hankering for a young horse, because riding has always been relatively low on my fun list - I love the handling, groundwork and long reining the most - and I have to say I'm getting lots of encouragement. I wouldn't mind waiting 4 years for a ride at all - there are dozens of horses looking for sharers in our area if I want to keep up what skills I have. But honestly I don't have a clue.

Two who are on my mind at the moment:

This mare - beautiful, grown up, but 16hh eek!

And this filly:

Not a grown up but I think she looks adorable.

Come on, just give me your reactions.....

I'd always go for the younger the better, personally so I'm favouring the filly. You can put your own stamp on her and have the satisfaction of pretty much it all being your own work. She's really pretty, Jane.

I like the look of the older mare, just cos :) given she's done very little she's still a bit of a blank canvas for you to tinker with but you can move faster should the fancy take you :)

Follow your gut. (Or put in a nicer way, your heart!) When I got Hogan last year, I knew 'that' time was coming with Ramsey. Common sense said, get a schoolmaster, but my gut told me I needed a project, and he was it. I know I'd be lost after losing my dear old boy if I hadn't had Hogan. The filly is lovely, and if I were experienced with babies, she'd be my choice.

Of those two I wouldn't touch the first, but the filly sounds & looks nice. There's no rush, just keep your eyes open until the right one comes along x

In my case I didn't need to go and look she found me through word and mouth.
What horsey friends know locally you have lost Ziggy? They may know if something?

Personal reactions are I don't do foals. But I do like youngsters, the cob was 2.5 yrs and still a blank canvas.
I also wouldn't touch the first. At that size and lack of time there isn't any reason why the current owner couldn't have found someone to start and ride on.
Stopped work, what work! and usually but not always if people get into nh it's because the animal is a little git!

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Was just reading the further info on the older mare, I'm afraid PSSM1 diagnosis would completely stop me looking at her, not worth the heart ache.

mare has a few issues and she is 16hh so unless you are confident she could be a strong girl. but with NH training she could be taught to be soft. Whether her health issues are a no no I have no experience of what she has tested positive for. sounds like she has sweetitch too. personally I wouldn't do foals, you have no ideal how the will turn out.

It's a pity you aren't up here, Fleurette is sitting there happy to be played with and fussed over.

Do you have any local horse charities that have a loan home / re home scheme? They have youngsters at the one we got Chloe from as well as companions and ready to ride equines.

newrider.com