New pony arrived with strangles now has purpura hemorrhagica

Don't get worried. The cosmetic is not lasting and is just the body adjusting. Breathing, eating and sleeping is all you want from any of them. The rest is just extra and I would forget.

A good idea - from a nurse - keep a diary of things that happen and when. Obvservations. They are really useful to the vet. They may come and go but as long as your vet knows, then he can look for or adjust whatever is being given. If you say nothing, then he doesn't know. If you tell him what you saw and when, then it may help. Knowledge = treatment = a way forward.

Never say never until there is nothing left. xx

that's really good advice thank you. Have been keep a diary. sec a seems so much better today, eating, walking better, bright, temp 37
but then saw her eyes tonight and no reply off vet yet-assuming the worst and worried sick. Have included pic of cob jaw and sec a eyes. no red spots on gums-which seems a positive.

Thank you for your support at this horrible horrible time. xx

Attachments

• 20201103_101155.jpg
    20201103_101155.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20201104-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20201104-WA0006.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20201104-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20201104-WA0008.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 5
Oh dear, you just keep getting hit don't you? I don't have experience of what yours have, and can only offer a virtual hug, and everything crossed that you all get through this. You must be drained.

Oh dear, you just keep getting hit don't you? I don't have experience of what yours have, and can only offer a virtual hug, and everything crossed that you all get through this. You must be drained.
I know i actually slept last night knowing she had eaten her tea etc and she has been in arena all day, happy walking better. But god knows what's going On inside her body-as everytime i feel like there is hope something else happens. vet hasn't got back to me. can't help but think its because there isn't anything he can do?! very frustrating and heart breaking-especially for my daughter who keeps saying she looks better. tried to broach the subject she may get really poorly but she just got upset and didn't want to talk about it. This pony is the last of a big list of ponies she has had which weren't suitable-too forward, lame, bolshy etc. then we found her, and she is everything we wanted age, temperament etc. And i feel I have really let her down this time. I just pray by some miracle she just got over it. I wish there was someone on here that has had this before. found old post but by the looks they all got pts. gutted. Thank you for listening. xx

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
Ive no experience of strangles myself. But just want to send some virtual healing vibes.

I have a farm and as you can imagine some times its just not meant to be. When you loose animals almost back to back for different reasons it feels like the world is against you.
Ive got a very poorly dog at the moment. She means the world to me. She is my right hand man on the farm. This is the second time in 6 months this condition has hit her. The vet said he thought it best if she was pts. I had to consider her quality of life. Its been a long slow recovery but 4 weeks on and she is still with me. I dont think she will be back working her cows and sheep anymore but she is still bright and bubbly in the house and she has good days and bad days. Over the weeks I have seen gradual improvement. In my heart I feel very sad as I just dont know when she might have another episode, which by all accounts is now very likely. Whatever happens I know that I have done my best to care for her.

I had only owned my first horse two months when he somehow fractured his pedal bone in the field. I honestly thought that was the end of him there and then. 6 months care and box rest and then careful rehab. Not what I expected for the start of horse ownership. But 14 years later i still have him.

You can only do the best you can, and give the best possible care you can and hope that things go right.

I haven’t had one of my own get strangles but I have known at least 16 horses who have had it, all of them survived. For all of them the months of dealing with the abscesses, isolation and other symptoms was frankly miserable but they did all pull through, even the 20+ year old and foals. I just looked up, the survival rate is over 90% that’s really good odds. Try to stay positive ?

I don't have any experience but I have read about it briefly. It's like treating a flu but a very contaguous one. Please keep the patient away from other horse or your daughter for the time being. Feed the pony wet food that is easy to digest and give them hot compresses regularly as if taking care of a child with fever. There will be stuff that a vet needs to identify because treatment may vary between individual horses. Hope you and the pony are safe. Please keep us posted

They can come back from the most dire things. My old boy who I lost last year, had the vet telling me to prepare for the worst a few years ago. The vet thought it was severe laminitus - he could barely stand, didn't want to eat, listless - just looked done for. After a few days of antibiotics injections, I left him stabled, for the first time in his life, ready to make the call the next day. Went to check him, before bed - he'd clambered over the door, wrecked the barn, eaten half the hay bale on the floor and was storming around like a loon. Turned him out and the next day he was bright as a button. Don't feel too alone - we all know that dread, but sometimes they bounce right back and surprise us - fingers crossed yours will.
Thank you for sharing your story filled me with abit of hope. She is getting worse and worse. Had a new vet come today and she couldn't even say what she had or what was wrong. she cant even walk now, swelling on chest and rib cage. original vet coming tonight-either try more antibiotics or pts. Devastated. Will update when I know. xx

I haven’t had one of my own get strangles but I have known at least 16 horses who have had it, all of them survived. For all of them the months of dealing with the abscesses, isolation and other symptoms was frankly miserable but they did all pull through, even the 20+ year old and foals. I just looked up, the survival rate is over 90% that’s really good odds. Try to stay positive ?
thank you, the strangles would of been good. her abscess has healed all good. it's the complication of bastard strangles or purpura that is making her so Ill. right now all I can do is hope she will keep fighting. thank you x

Ive no experience of strangles myself. But just want to send some virtual healing vibes.

I have a farm and as you can imagine some times its just not meant to be. When you loose animals almost back to back for different reasons it feels like the world is against you.
Ive got a very poorly dog at the moment. She means the world to me. She is my right hand man on the farm. This is the second time in 6 months this condition has hit her. The vet said he thought it best if she was pts. I had to consider her quality of life. Its been a long slow recovery but 4 weeks on and she is still with me. I dont think she will be back working her cows and sheep anymore but she is still bright and bubbly in the house and she has good days and bad days. Over the weeks I have seen gradual improvement. In my heart I feel very sad as I just dont know when she might have another episode, which by all accounts is now very likely. Whatever happens I know that I have done my best to care for her.

I had only owned my first horse two months when he somehow fractured his pedal bone in the field. I honestly thought that was the end of him there and then. 6 months care and box rest and then careful rehab. Not what I expected for the start of horse ownership. But 14 years later i still have him.

You can only do the best you can, and give the best possible care you can and hope that things go right.
Thank you for your comment. That must of been awful for you. I think she has alot going on inside that we can't see. I've really tried for her. Both vets I have seen now can't give me an answer. she is stood in the same spot can't walk. it's like her body is shutting down. original vet coming tonight to see if he can do anything. if not she will be pts. I cant watch her suffer anymore. I'm devastated. thank you for your support. xx

This is so awful - can't imagine what you're going through, I'm so sorry for you all.

newrider.com