new owner winter blanket question

tbaynancy

Jul 27, 2009
Looking for some advice on winter turnout. I'm in northern Ontario - gets quite cold in the winter (from -20 to -40C). YO turns horses out in the day as long as it's not too cold/windy/stormy, and I think this is a good idea. I've bought Rusty a 1200d turnout blanket with 300 gram fill, which I think should be OK for outside in the day (but open to suggestions about that), it's waterproof.

One of the other owners says the barn can be cold inside when it's bitterly cold outside (although no wind, obviously) and she said most horses have a blanket on in when inside. I've been doing some online shopping (only kind available to me) and there is something called a "stable blanket" which I think is what I need for this. Does this sound right?

Are there other options? Suggestions?

thanks very much,

A stable blanket or stable rug is what you need for use in cold weather, yes.

Won't be waterproof but can get in many different thicknesses - my heaviest one is 450gm filling, with an attached full neck, which I use in really cold weather.

I cannot concieve how you cope in such a climate!!

Our temperature seldom goes below -5C occasional -10C has us panicking

We use heavy weight rugs for daytime turnout (600g) and layers of duvets/rugs etc for nighttime stables. SFS (daughter) has just said at your temperatures horses would be in house with us!! They are English TBs though so not weather proof!

More realistically we do have other Canadian members who I hope will help you!!

Thanks for the quick replies - it seems that I need what's called a stable blanket for inside.

As for our weather - I guess you have to get used to it:) Maybe with the poor weather this summer (but Sept. is nice), we'll have a nice mild winter with not too much snow. Good thing we have an indoor arena. It's not heated though, so there are usually a few weeks where most people don't ride.

Yikes,at those temps I think I would need rugging never mind the horse:eek:

On a more serious note,yes a stable blanket is what you need.Basically very similar to the turnout you have already but different material and not waterproof.Come in a various designs and weights,maybe find out what the horse is used to in his/her previous home as a guide what to get??
I only mention this as although those temps would have us grabbing the heaviest weight rugs we could find,horses where you are might be more accustomed to it and not need the really heavy rugs,except in the very coldest weather maybe.

Thanks for the suggestion, Devonlass. I will contact his previous owner. He had been living in Minneapolis so won't be a complete stranger to cold winters, but maybe not quite so cold. I want him to get a good thick coat but don't want him to be chilly.

I live in Alberta and one week was -35 to -45. My horses get a winter water proof blanket when it gets past -20, then they get extra feed once its past -30..and heated alfalfa mash for when its -35 and up.. they live outside 24/7. I let them grow their coats, and if you choose to do that you horse may not need a stable sheet.

To cut down cost, the people who do stable with a stable sheet/rug usually just put a rain sheet over top of it when its time for turnout..

I live in Alberta and one week was -35 to -45. My horses get a winter water proof blanket when it gets past -20, then they get extra feed once its past -30..and heated alfalfa mash for when its -35 and up.. they live outside 24/7. I let them grow their coats, and if you choose to do that you horse may not need a stable sheet.

To cut down cost, the people who do stable with a stable sheet/rug usually just put a rain sheet over top of it when its time for turnout..

Thanks - nice to hear from another Canadian! We usually get about 6 weeks of really cold weather (-30 to -40) and then it warms up to -20!! I'm going to treat myself to a good set of thermal underwear to wear under my riding gear this year. We have a ski shop in town so that seems a good place to start.

Thanks - nice to hear from another Canadian! We usually get about 6 weeks of really cold weather (-30 to -40) and then it warms up to -20!! I'm going to treat myself to a good set of thermal underwear to wear under my riding gear this year. We have a ski shop in town so that seems a good place to start.

yeah..I ride outside too..so I usually ride bareback..and very seldom..:D with termal underwear, sweat pants x 2, then a down jacket, with about 4 pairs of socks on.. I also have to haul water from inside my house with 5 gallon pails to fill up a 50 gallon tank..:eek: it gets so icey if I spill so I end up filling the pail only half way..making it 20 trips unstead of ten..

You will notice that there is quite a few Canadians.. and a few Americans.. but we are def the minority.. from the top of my head I know there is one person from the maritimes (I am sorry Keket for not remembering exactly which one),one from Quebec, me in Edmonton, another lady in Calgary, and I think another person from eastern Canada..could be more..

newrider.com