New horse pee's so much

Tootsie4U

Aug 19, 2002
PA, USA
Visit site
Is it something to worry about?

His water intake definately isnt coinciding with how much he urinates (less).

I gave him some electrolytes this AM but is there something else I should do/consider.

He also sweats excessively.

I've tied a regular fan into the rafters of the barn so the air flow is directed across their backs. Mine (who run in together) can stand right in the air if they want to - which they do in this heat! Lowe's was selling a fan with the misters in it for pretty cheap, I almost got that.

Got a big 'ole free choice salt block for them? I wouldn't worry unless you see he's starting to dehydrate, look for less than pink gums, slow capillary refill when pushing on the gums, and sunken areas above the eye socket.

Thank you Lisae.

I checked his gums and did the pinch check on his neck - all fine.

I've been around alot of horses and I've never seen one pee as much/as often as this one. He's going to cost me a fortune in shavings :D

He is drinking as he should, so thats a good thing.

I've also got a fan going in the isle, but I'll see if we can rig up a mister fan over his stall.

Rosie my cob mare pees for England, but she does drink a lot more than my other mare, her pee is also crystal clear, virtually see through, ie no yellow at all. she will drink overnight 3 buckets and when we got out hacking we often have to stop for 1-2 pee stops when it is niagara, she really really does whoosh.

So it may just be how he is!

To save on shavings you could rubber mat him and have a deep area of shavings for him to pee on.

As long as he is drinking well, then it is probably just normal for him, certainly I was a bit concerned with Rosie at first,as she really does go for it, but she does drink a lot more than the others.

Tootsie

Have you thought how much water he might be getting from that loooong grass in your paddock ?

My old chap pees for the Olympics - always has done so its not his age. But what he drinks varies with how much water he is getting from grass, hay, food (sugar beet or not)

Plus ours hardly drink anything in the stables, but drink from the troughs outside. And when the field floods, they drink from the flood :rolleyes: So how on earth we would ever measure their intake - I don't know !

cvb said:
So how on earth we would ever measure their intake - I don't know !
How do you? You do let them have free acess to water, right?
In that case it would be tough to guess who drinks more. You are not there all the time and watching from the window will just tell you how long each stands at the trough- not how much each drinks.
DJ will hang his tongue into the water and stand there for a long time but he doesn't drink all that time. Missy gets down to business quickly - go there, drink, get away.
What does Fella's urine look like? Darker, etc.?

OMG!! Harry is exactly the same...I feel like I am putting down a new bed every other day...its a right pain!!

He does drink quite a bit but he wees more ha ha!!

My vet told me that when they're peeing huge volumes of clear liquid, their kidneys aren't working as efficiently as they ought to be. She told me to feed straight salt for a while--something about helping the kidneys concentrate the liquid more.

Excessive urination can be a symptom of Bad Things, so if you can't get it to clear up, you might want to call up your vet. S/he might have more suggestions, or might have tests they could run.

Yes, to back up what Galadriel says - I know that my chap's urine production is not a sign of bad things because we've had him checked out (for other reasons) and because he's always been like this.

some horses just wee more....

One of the symptoms my mum's Fell had as he became ill with laminitis was dark wee, that didn't smell right...

BTW - Duds (the fell) doesn't wee as much as Red, but he wanders around so his bed is as bad or worse to muck out :rolleyes:

When Duds drinks, he tends to leave his tongue slightly out afterwards so looks really silly/cute :rolleyes:

All this wee and pee talk makes me chuckle :p

The first day he was here, he peed 3x in an hour- after just coming off the trailer. Then he peed another 3 times in about three hours before we put them out in the paddock. We brought them back in at 9 pm and he peed again, right away. Over night, his pee spot was soaked (he only goes in one spot - and we have mats). That seems like alot, right?

The last three days, he's been better. In the AM, his pee spot isnt as saturated - but he still pees immediately after I bring him in for the night.

The pee isnt 'abnormal' in any way.

If it continues, I'll have the wizz analyzed. Could it just be him spreading his scent...or something similar?

Tootsie

I can't remember how far he had to come to reach you, but it could be that he is adjusting slowly to the different water you have ?

Just like changes in food affect them, changes in water do as well.

and the 3 times after he arrived could be that he doesn't "go" in the trailer, and was busting !! if he was a little unsettled, he might not let it all out in one go (the horse is vulnerable when urinating).

My girls make it point to hold it, or even walk all the way in from the field to use the barn! They like the shavings as they absorb urine and there is less splash. So as noted above he may be holding it. At least he uses one spot! Ours do to, so I dug out the stone into a shallow trench and it all runs out one way.

Does sound alot but like cvb says he could be adjusting.

Harry just does MASSIVE wee's and always in the same spot so it gets really minging.

Wish i could train him to do it in a hole or something :rolleyes:

I have trained my boy to pee in a bucket - just catch him doing one put the bucket under and give him lots of praise (plus a polo or other treat) do this a few times until he will volunteerily go straight into the stable or when ever they see you coming and start to position for a pee in order to gain their reward. Works a treat as I "catch" him at least 3 times saving a fortune in bedding!!

:eek: WOW!!!

Thata amazing ha ha!!!

Its funny actually because this morning Denise who runs the yard said to me do I want her to put matting down for him and do the draining coz he wee's so much...how much of a coincidence is that?

She is going to do it whilst im on holiday...cant be bad!!

newrider.com