New horse owner looking to meet friends in Cardiff area!

Astala77

Jun 14, 2017
Hi I'm an older (39yo)new horse owner...always ridden but usually loaned or shared over the years...moved from Surrey to Cardiff, rescued a little Welsh pony, whom I rehabilitated and sold on, then I bought her yearling..an appaloosa x Welsh filly who's now 2yrs old. I keep her on field livery and walk her out etc. Would be great to meet other like minded horse owners with busy family lives too, as haven't done a very good job of making friends here yet .....as I spend most my spare time with my youngster! Hence I thought posting in a horsey forum might be a good idea!

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Welcome to NR :D We are all over the country, I'm the opposite side of the country in East Anglia but my horse was born in Cowbridge :p

Astala77

Jun 14, 2017
Welcome to NR :D We are all over the country, I'm the opposite side of the country in East Anglia but my horse was born in Cowbridge :p

Ahhh we live in Creigiau not far from cowbridge! Love it here and my three sons have settled lovely into their schools but I do miss my friends back home sadly. Thought I must try and Make an effort to make friends here and horsey ones would be perfect....not that I can ride mine yet but will do next year hopefully!

Reactions: Jessey

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Have you not got to know the people you share the field with?
Do they ride out and you could tag on if they were walking.

Astala77

Jun 14, 2017
Have you not got to know the people you share the field with?
Do they ride out and you could tag on if they were walking.

Yes I'm friendly with the other lady I share field with. She's lovely. She has two children's ponies so I do walk out with her occasionally. But she's lived here all her life and has own friends etc so I don't want to impose on her outside of field talk IYSWIM!

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
You're not older lol!!
Hiya Astala, it might be a good idea to find out about your local riding club, local shows and clinics or events. They are always looking for helpers and it doesn't involve much in the way of experience to be a jump judge or steward.
I joined a livery yard and had an instant family of folk, although my field was still set apart from the actual yard so that I had my own space. Yards can be fab, but on the other hand they can be a bit of a pressure cooker.

Astala77

Jun 14, 2017
Thanks I will look into clubs and maybe volunteering. I know nothing about riding club etc tho, as I've never competed. It will prob be easier when my youngster is ridden and I'm venturing out more I hope. I've been to a livery yard before but moved to be nearer to my home. I don't mind them but do feel I'm being watched and get anxious somewhat. I would also feel bad leaving the lady and ponies I'm with now, as we have quite a good set up with holidays etc! Though I have no running water (just a water butt) so I may well get fed up with that soon enough!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B WANTED - Horse/pony owner looking for help with day to day care (Essex area) Older Riders 3
B Where does a first time horse owner start looking? General 14
I First time horse owner Cafe 18
H New horse owner!! Help First Timers 2
H Is this cruel horse owner ship? (Video) Horse Care 7
Aekuna Assessment by horse owner Confidence Club 5
squidsin 10 different types of horse owner Cafe 8
Cochise Like horse, like owner Cafe 7
Gattino Hope to be horse owner very soon Cafe 2
squidsin New horse owner - bad case of first time nerves, HELP! Cafe 65
F How long would you say it takes for owner and horse to get used to each other? First Timers 35
Trewsers Following on from the horse owner anxiety thread... Cafe 23
nat17 Our horse owner anxieties ... Cafe 25
N Do Vets Help Or Hinder The Horse Owner? Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 33
R How much does full livery cost - owner wants to pay me to look after their horse Cafe 14
E What question to ask owner when loaning a horse? Cafe 10
Tots N Dots being a horse owner is getting increasingly difficult :( Cafe 31
D You know you're a horse owner when........ Cafe 8
Nimbus65 Indulge a new horse owner - rugging? Horse Care 4
tbaynancy first for new horse owner! Older Riders 9
tiga Am loving being a horse owner! Cafe 13
Coco91 First few observations as newbie horse owner ! Cafe 47
N Scared to travel, owner not the horse, advice please. Transport and Travelling 12
R BHS Horse Owner Certif Training of the Horse and Rider 1
IAmEllie Learning about horse care as a new owner Horse Care 8
T im so frustrated waiting to be a horse owner! General 8
A New Horse owner - new horse! Help! First Timers 9
B Advice needed for a possible first time horse owner General 10
Spider First time DIY livery horse owner must haves + tips Money Saving Ideas, Tips and Remedies 26
Tally. My week as a temporary horse owner has started General 2
Kellyjellybelly New Horse Owner General 8
RRA New owner, new horse, barefoot, any hints & tips?? Hoof Care 6
juliecwuk Horse aggressive to owner in field Training of the Horse and Rider 10
Skint The worst horse owner ever (me ) General 4
BlueWicked Today is my best ever day as a horse owner :D *pics&vid* as always :D General 11
Caz&Irena Loan horse owner has disappeared General 24
T Loaners - when the owner wants your horse back..... General 30
ariano15 Feel awful - I'm a bad horse owner! General 19
joey_olop Do you get singled out for being a horse owner?? General 66
T New horse owner queries - hope someone can take the time to help Horse Care 17
L Options for horse when owner pregnant. General 24
Daffy Dilly Horse Owner Backgrounds General 38
Beck Anyone ever been let down by owner of a potential horse? General 7
D My share horse - is owner being difficult?? General 35
P Anyone don the Baileys Horse Feeds Horse Owner's Feed Knowledge Award... Training of the Horse and Rider 6
H BHS Horse Owner's Certificate- can I simply take the exam? Training of the Horse and Rider 4
horseygirl123 What esseentials do I need (first horse owner) General 16
Sarah-Lou :) Advice for first time horse owner? General 22
P Tips please, for a first-time horse owner . . . Money Saving Ideas, Tips and Remedies 30
lamprellsarah moaning about a horse and owner. Training of the Horse and Rider 3