new horse hoof question

ericandern

May 27, 2005
Hi there, my new mare arrived two weeks ago and immediately went lame on her back leg. I thought she had just sprained it from running about in the field being new but there was heat in the hoof and she was limping so I got the vet out to look at her as well as start her on her tetanus course in case she had trodden on something. The field is a bit uneven and stoney in places. Anyway she had an abscess which he told me to flush out each day (she lives out 24/7). To cut a long story short, she would not let me even pick it up and kicked out a lot so I couldn't clean it or tub it. A week later and a lot of training in between, she will now pick up all her feet and she does seem to be better as she is not limping and the heat has gone. She also had a course of antibiotics. I hope it does not come back. She has never been shod and is 4 and a half.

So my question is 'what is people's experience of feeding one of these hoof supplements. Do you think it would be good for her as I do not plan to shoe her in the foreseable future. Will it make her hooves less susceptible to going a bit soft and being prone to abscesses. I feed her on sugar beet which I have read somewhere contains biotin and she also has a feed balancer so I do not feel she goes short on vitamins. I would be grateful to hear some opinions as the supplements seems quite dear to buy. Thanks.

Sugar Beet does not contain biotin, the best supplement you can get is Biometh-Z from www.hyperdrug.com all these other Farriers wonder stuff supplements aren't that great, best thing is to stay barefoot as shoeing weakens hooves, and if your horse has an abcess in the hoof, I would be aware that it is easy for infection to flair up again and again, so keep an eye on the feet, oh and also, get some Keratex Hoof Wash so when you bring her in give them a good scrub to reduce bacteria (even for a short time while grooming and riding) will help toughen up the feet.

Good Luck!

If you're feeding a good balancer you don't need a hoof supplement as well, but check whats in the balancer you're using since not all of them have enough hoof goodies in.

newrider.com