New helmet rules 2015

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
I have just been reading the new rules for helmets and as someone that competes both for my riding club and local and BD dressage they changes do effect me,

The current rules will still stand for 2105 but after that most hats will not be covered to compete in.

A short summary is the BS EN1834 will not be accepted so unless your hat is also PAS015 you will need to replace it if you intend to do any BE/BD/BSJ/RC or if you use a BHS school.

I had a major panic as my UVEX was £260 but it is also ASTM 1163 which is the same as PAS015 (took a lot of internetting to work that out)

SO please check you helmets so you can ask for a new one for your birthday if you need it.

Not that it matters to me because I don't compete, but if they are no longer up to standard, it makes you wonder if the leisure rider should use them either, but I just bought a new hat and have now checked it because of your thread. Thankgod it's pas15 and the bs one aswell.

Mine is I'm date, 2011 pas015.
Competition or not. I like to be up to date. Especially on young horse. Replaced when got her.

Reactions: Trewsers
Actually it is nothing to do with hats improving but the eu wanting a change the hat testing will not change just the standard marking them. They could not agree so just removed the current one and have introduced a interm one until they xan agree on the new one.

There are other threads on this. Do not rush out to replace your hat unless you need to for safety reasons. The old standard has been withdrawn by the EU, but no decision has yet been taken about what the various UK organisations are going to use as a substitute.
They could not agree so just removed the current one and have introduced a interim one until they xan agree on the new one.

Have you a source for this? I have hot seen anywhere on the net that the EU has introduced any interim standard. Just the info floating about on forums that, if the UK standard is re-set and testing carried out, that may be the most likely base.
My hat as I have said elsewhere, is technically legal to high standard but that would be useless if I were to compete as it has no visible labelling showing the standard to which it was manufactured - nor the date of manufacture.

Skib all hats will be marked somewhere, often in ones with removable washable liners inside that. The HS1 has a red and white Snell label stuck onto the BSEN PAS and 1384 labels in the crown. If it has never been labelled I would suspect it is a copy not an origional Gatehouse.

eml on H&H website other people reported that the original ink writing on their labels had worn off thanks to the hats being worn over sweaty hair.

My most recent two hats (there have been numerous replacements over the years) came from Bookham Sadlery the local agent - very unlikely to be a fake I think as if she got the hats sent in from Gatehouse.
There was a change in the HS1 design when additional padding was introduced - as I have said before. I have had two of the later spec. My current one is the more expensive silver as I needed an urgent replacement and the shop didnt have a black one in my size.
In theory these hats have two kite marks inside with the one on the left saying PAS 015. The writing is still legible on my previous black HS1 retained for wearing when I am doing yard work. But on my current one it has been erased.
The writing on the central label has gone from both hats and if you try to peel it off there is nothing underneath.

If I knew how to put up a pic easily I would post a picture but it seemed clear to me from the other forum that people like me who wear a HS1 every time they ride, wear out the writing on the label and on the lining too. This current hat has not even been with me to Texas or anywhere hot to trail ride. Just UK wear and tear. Yes, I do wash my hair twice a week. It could be hair conditioner or plasticiser in Aussie shampoo that wipes it perhaps?

Do not rush out to replace your hat unless you need to for safety reasons.

This was sauced from the BD website, therefore in my eyes it is not just forum talk but fact plus see the info below about when it will be removed

Either way Skib BD/BE/BSJA/BHS/RC have all said that they will accept these hats for this year only. As I compete at BD and RC it does effect me.

When will (BS)EN1384 be phased out?
British Eventing — will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter. All hats will be retagged in 2016.
Riding Clubs — British Riding Clubs will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter. All hats will be retagged in 2016.
The Pony Club — will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter. Full details of the revised hat tagging procedure will be communicated to the membership and volunteers shortly.
British Dressage — will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter.
British Showjumping — will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter.
British Horse Society —will permit (BS)EN1384 hats in 2015 but not thereafter. From 1 January 2016 hats made solely to (BS)EN1384 will not be permitted for use in BHS approved centres

Reactions: joosie
I was always led to believe that for xc you had to have a pas015 anyway. You do to compete with the pony club here.
Skib-if its illegible then your riding school if its approved may ask you to update.

If you run a riding school that's approved, does this mean they will need to update all their hats?

Plans changed today - too idle to brave the Sales crowds in central London so here instead is a pic of the label

It has the 1384 2012 clearly stamped on the right. So its the other writing under the otherside thats worn.
You would still have your labels that go with it.
Your school would be OK with that next year, depending on if you replace. I replace every few years now and like you keep older one for lunging, bringing in if need be.

New forest, I do need to replace it really, but am waiting. And yes the left hand, now missing writing did give the other standard. Getting a new one means taking a day to drive to Robinson's - no local shop any longer.
My own hat is no worry, just eml's suggestion it could be a fake!

But it is not without labels, the snell label is worn but still shows the batch number and I suspect the PAS 015 although worn could be acertained, not unlabelled as origionally stated just worn that totally changes my last post re copy

I said it has no visible labelling. Maybe I should have said no legible labelling. It did once but not now.
Owned by Chanter you too have misunderstood me. This is what I questioned.

and have introduced a interim one until they can agree on the new one.

My post referred to any source of this interim standard as I dont think there is an interim standard.

I must be getting too old for forums as my posts are obviously not clear.

Stirred myself from winter inertia and depression to practise what I preach. Bought a new hat this afternoon - found a tack shop closer than Robinsons too. What is more they warned me about the pending new standards and particularly asked whether or not I competed.
Here is the brand new label and it seems there never were further letters under the second kitemark. Apologies for wrong orientation - it comes from left handed use of phone and though I corrected it on photobucket, it remains wrong here!

There was an interesting legal case over motorcycle helmets a few years ago.

To be road legal in the UK they had to have a BS Kite mark and be tested to a specific standard, as you'd expect. A chap had a German made helmet that held not kite mark and he was prosecuted for an illegal bike helmet. The prosecution was appealed and the courts heard that the helmet was tested and found to be "of a comparable standard" to the kite marked ones and the case was thrown out and the law reworded (it might have been adjusted again since, but it now states that the helmet must meet BS ******* or a comparable standard.

I fail to see how a hat one day is considered safe enough, then the next it's not worthy to go on your head. Moderation in all things.

newrider.com