New Hackamore, no steering??? Advice please?

alfiesmum

Apr 4, 2009
Devon
I have just changed my 5 yo into an English Hackamore as he has lots of wolf teeth coming through and was fighting his bit in rein back and when going into an outline. Now the teeth are through I can see that his old bit was catching on them. The vet is booked for a weeks time, but in the meantime I have tried an English Hackamore, which I would love to continue to use after teeth are done.

He is usually in a training bit with lozenge and vvv light mouthed, but as a 5yo asks questions, eg when there is a right hand turn, it is "I think I might go down there now" and I have to very lightly turn his head away and move him on, (8 months ago, he would walk up a 6' bank if he wanted to go right!! He is so much better).

Anyway tried the hackamore with exp user in the outdoor school, a bit heavy but fine, not remotely unhappy in it

I have hacked out twice on open land on my own to test it and stopping is vvv light, I need no contact most of the time, but the questions are getting more, like I know I have my head I will go right, then I have to put a tiny bit of pressure on and he reverts to the normal path. It is like driving a very old car with heavy steering after driving a brand new one with power steering (if that makes sense).

Is this something that I need to school him through, eg get him to use his back end more to drive him forward (I am worried about pulling on the bit because of the amount of extra teeth and the fight) or is it that this isnt quite the one for him. I guess it will take a while to get used to it. I wouldnt be able to jump him in it as I wouldnt have the steering, but equally wouldnt be doing that till his teeth have been looked at anyway.

I had a lovely notion of never going back to a bit if possible (and avoiding having teeth done if poss too) but would love some comments about whether this is my riding, him testing his freedom or what?

I have seen the amound of different bitless bridles and am confused although another person I see out hacking has great success with an LG wheel.

Thanks for reading this essay.

Firstly just want to point out that even if a horse is 100% bitless 100% of the time, their teeth still need doing regularly.

How long has your horse been bitless?? It does take a lot of getting used to for both horse and rider especially if both are used to being bitted. Without seeing the situation I would suggest continue schooling. For steering purposes whether bitted or bitless the aim is to have the horse tuned to seat, leg and weight aids as opposed to rein aids anyhow.

All my horses are bitless. One is in a english hackamore and the other varies between a dr cook style cross under and an indian bosal. Different bitless suit different horses so as with bits it is trial and error to find what your horse prefers.

Hope this helps.

Bitless help

Hi there, thanks for that, by not having dentist I dont mean ever, I meant the dentist coming but maybe him not having to have 4 teeth out to make room for his bit!! He has regularly seen dentist so far, these have come through since last visit!

I will pursue the schooling, thanks for your advice.

Is it fitted proparly? I had steering issues with Lantern when it was too low/loose on his nose? The hackamore needs to be tight enough round his nose that it doesn't move when you apply pressure, equally it needs to apply the pressure in the right points on his face.

But tbh, Lantern improved loads the second time i rode him in it just me and him getting used to it. But i have always done most the schooling by leg aids than mouth because he was so mouth sore so he really responds to the leg now...

Kc thanks

Good point Kc, I might have been very nice and left it a little loose, I took the photo of you and Lantern to the stable to fit it! It was sitting in the right place, but I wasnt sure how many fingers you were supposed to get at the front and curb?

We are practising the leg yields and he does repond but a little slowly even with the bit he needed very little rein, but I have so many people at the yard saying it can break his nose/stop him breathing, that I might well have it too loose.

I have to say it is still better than I thought. There was me and 1000 acres of open land and he did what I said, but just asked more whether he could just walk across the heather to get home, than he would usually!!

You need to train him to the new aids.

Or, if he is very light on the brakes, maybe try a bridle with more direct reining which you and he would be more used to, such as a crosspull (dr cook):)

newrider.com