New Forest Pony Recommendations?

xGeorgiax

Aug 6, 2016
Hi,

I'm just looking into potentially bringing on a new forest from the sales and breaking him/her to ride.

I was just wondering, what is the recommended weight limit for these ponies? I'm mainly focusing on around the 13.3hh+ region as I am a taller rider, and am currently around 10-10.5 stone.

Would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me, as I am under the impression that new forests are fairly strong but obviously still want to make sure just how much they can carry.

A lady on my yard did exactly this, bought a wild baby and did it all herself. That was 11 years ago and the pony has turned out fantastic. Jumps 3ft and competes at novice and elementary dressage. Barefoot and never sick or sorry. Lovely to ride, she let's me sometimes ;)

As for weight the owner is probably just over 10st and I'm 8 and a half. No problem with either of us! How tall are you? We are both about 5ft 6 and she takes up our leg well but any taller I think I would start to feel a bit more unbalanced.

I'm between 5ft 7 and 5ft 8. I find I can ride smaller ponies (although nothing smaller than 13.2hh) but it depends on how they are built (how 'compact' etc.). Some I find I'm even more balanced on than the bigger horses, and some I can't sit to anything they do at all.

I have ridden a Newforest, probably coming up to about 4 years ago now, who came from the sales. She was lovely and from what I remember (as well as videos of me riding her somewhere) I wasn't unbalanced and didn't look it. She was probably no bigger than 13.2hh, I'd say. So a bit smaller than I would be looking at anyway.

I'm between 5ft 7 and 5ft 8. I find I can ride smaller ponies (although nothing smaller than 13.2hh) but it depends on how they are built (how 'compact' etc.). Some I find I'm even more balanced on than the bigger horses, and some I can't sit to anything they do at all.

I have ridden a Newforest, probably coming up to about 4 years ago now, who came from the sales. She was lovely and from what I remember (as well as videos of me riding her somewhere) I wasn't unbalanced and didn't look it. She was probably no bigger than 13.2hh, I'd say. So a bit smaller than I would be looking at anyway.

You sound like you will be more than happy with a new forest then :) to me they ride alot bigger than they actually are, she feels tiny when I'm tacking her up but once on board I tend to forget she's mini. I think she is 13.2! She does have a fairly short striding trot but once you are used to it it's no bother.

I also remember that there is another lady who rides her on occasion and she is probably 5ft 8 and has no problems whatsoever

You'll be fine, I'm in the New Forest and 90% of the ponies at my yard are ponies off the forest or from the sales that the owners have broken in themselves.

My friend next door has a lovely NF gelding she bought direct from the breeder. He is only 13.1 and she is about your height and weight but she happily rides him (treeless, bitless and barefoot). He is a very solid chap.

newrider.com