New Forest experts....show quality?

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
For all you New forest experts please can you tell me if my yearling colt, Little Dave is show quality? He is very tiny (11hh something) and Odin is the first forester I've had in a long time and the first one I've ever shown and so I am still a novice at deciding what makes a good show forester and the show on Saturday just left me confused as every single one looked different in shape,size,build,head neck etc.:eek: So please can you tell me what you all think of Little Dave and if he'd do well in the show ring?

HPIM1929.jpg

HPIM1924.jpg

HPIM1925.jpg

HPIM1934.jpg

Not great pics but best I could get this morning.

his headcollar looks really tight in that pic I promise you it isn't I can fit a hand under noseband,jaw and poll. Though he will be onto a pony headcollar instead of a foal slip in next couple of weeks I reckon

I would think he would do well -gorgey pony!!-, though NF's aren't my fortay (even though i have one!! -mum got rather ****ed when i pulled her mane :rolleyes: lol)
There are some experts on here, they should be able to help :) xx

I would think he would do well -gorgey pony!!-, though NF's aren't my fortay (even though i have one!! -mum got rather ****ed when i pulled her mane :rolleyes: lol)
There are some experts on here, they should be able to help :) xx

thankyou. He looks completely different to Odin. New Forests seem to vary so much in their looks that I have no idea what is supposed to do well:eek::p

OHHH he is nice!!
I agree, take your 'newbie' to some local's and see how he does tbh. If the judges like him, they like him! lol
But i'm sure they will like him, cz he's so gorgey.
THe second one looks a bit closer in build to tinks.
Though I'm sure the top one will fill out and get a tad chunkier. :) xx

OHHH he is nice!!
I agree, take your 'newbie' to some local's and see how he does tbh. If the judges like him, they like him! lol
But i'm sure they will like him, cz he's so gorgey.
THe second one looks a bit closer in build to tinks.
Though I'm sure the top one will fill out and get a tad chunkier. :) xx

Little Daves dam is very finely built too so think he'll probably stay a fine NF Odin on the other hand is built like a welshie and I think by the time he is 5 he'll be a right chunky monkey.
Little Dave is learning to lead at present so doubt we will get to any shows this year, although there is a youngstock show in November locally so may try him at that.

aww, lol. If his dams quite fine, he'll probs stay fine like you say.
Lol twinks is as chunky as chunky goes. She's only 12.3hh/13hh and shes in a cob bridle! with full reins. shes HUGE. oh and not forgetting the 5'9 rugs!! my WB is only a 6'3. and shes 16hh. lol xx

aww, lol. If his dams quite fine, he'll probs stay fine like you say.
Lol twinks is as chunky as chunky goes. She's only 12.3hh/13hh and shes in a cob bridle! with full reins. shes HUGE. oh and not forgetting the 5'9 rugs!! my WB is only a 6'3. and shes 16hh. lol xx

haha my 12.2hh exmoor is in 6ft rugs:eek:

Odin is about 13.3hh already Little Dave though Im not sure how big he is 11hh something i'd guess. He really is tiny. His dad is stunning so I'm hoping he'll grow up to look like a bay version of his dad:D

aww lol. I though he looked huge!!
Jesus 6ft?? you serious!!!
Whats his breeding?? I have no clue what twink's is.. last owner lost her papers. But assures us shes a NF.
i'm choosing to believe him, but we're trying to track down her papers :) xx
What do you think re her breed?? xxxx

aww lol. I though he looked huge!!
Jesus 6ft?? you serious!!!
Whats his breeding?? I have no clue what twink's is.. last owner lost her papers. But assures us shes a NF.
i'm choosing to believe him, but we're trying to track down her papers :) xx
What do you think re her breed?? xxxx

yes Bubbles (the exmoor) arrived in 5'3" rugs which were way too small last winter she trashed her badly fitting 5'6" rugs so I jokingly put my ex racers 6'3" rug on her and it fitted perfectly so now she wears anything form 6ft to 6'3"

his dam is by Limekiln survivor. His Sire is Blackwell Jonathan this handsome chap http://www.nfstallions.info/ (you'll have to search for his name)

Looking at your pony she looks like she may have welsh in her especially by the way she stands

Honestly I would say no not the greatest chance at anything but local level, mainly because he looks out at the chest, may just be the pic though but he is very definatly upright in the hocks, my mare has the same issue and although I love her to bits is not really able to achieve much in the show ring. I would be careful as he grows that he doesn't do what mine has and suffer from locking stifle, that hind makeup does lead to common occurance of locking stifle.

However he looks a real cutie, I love how your other lad is maturing very handsome!

This is my girlie different again
DSCF6102-2.jpg

This shows her hinds at their worst
bramble1.jpg

Last edited:
newrider.com