New adventures of athlone black prince

nurse9

Feb 16, 2011
london
So have purchased my lovely new boy 15.1 of big Irish cob. He came on the trailer without a problem last Tuesday bit sweaty and eager to get to field but all to be expected.

Some background saw him after looking for about three months went to try prince after falling of first horse I saw that morning. Bad start!

Saw prince being ridden by 12 year old in school she couldn't get him to canter so decided to try without stirrups!! Still didn't work, then my daughter 14 rode him again very steady no sign of running away. So I rode him wonderful really steady but responsive managed to canter around school, steering a bit dodgy but new horse so only to be expected.

Went back the next week with my friend who I was loaning from.
Again he was great brought him in groomed tacked up etc. No problems absolute star on the ground so of course bought him!!!!

Now he has arrived has been on lovely lush grass for three days decided to get on him yesterday needless to say all went wrong put bum on his back and he went from standstill to full out gallop toasted fence swerving at last minute throwing me out the side door into fence! Knocked out, paramedics, ambulance pandemonium ensued.

So now zero confidence, hurt pride and disheartened!!
Still love my pony though!

Any ideas on what has gone wrong or similar experiences gratefully received.

Until next time. :help:

pics please!!

might be worth having his back/tack/teeth checked? it sounds like a very extreme reaction to someone getting on board. hope you're ok and you'll get your confidence back!

I'm so sorry to hear about your fall, what a horrible thing to happen on your first try out at home.

Of course you'll want to be sure that tack and everything fits him well. But it could just be the nerves and excitement of being in a new place. It can take horses weeks and even months to settle in their new homes. It might be nothing more than that. From his point of view, everything he was used to has gone, and everything around him is new - pretty anxiety provoking for the steadiest horse.

When you're recovered, why not try doing some ground work and leading him out a few times so you can get to know each other quietly? Then when you next get on board, you'll both feel more confident.

The first time I rode Ziggy out he cantered off with me, stopped, and I went straight over his head and landed on mine :hot:. After the trip to a & e etc, the next few times we went out I led him the 20 minutes up the path to our nearest school and rode him in the school. At least that way he couldn't get too far when he tanked off with me! It was another week or so before I graduated to being tanked off with in the open again :wink:

I do hope that things improve. We're all here to help - I can't tell you how many SOSes I put out when I first had Ziggy!

Moving home is a big change for a horse and if he's gone from poor grazing to lots of it he'll naturally be a bit more hyper too. Did you buy his tack with him or is it new? If new was it properly fitted? I'd be inclined to spend a few weeks doing some groundwork and lungeing and getting to know him before trying again.

Hope you're not too badly injured and can get your trust back in him in time to enjoy the summer :)

Spring grass?? ... well i say spring .... it's snowing here again. Sorry you've had a knock to your confidence but pleased you still love your pony.

awww thanks everyone your support has made me feel 100% better. although feel like have done ten rounds with tyson:giggle:

so back down today and lovely boy giving me lots of hugs and snuggles he's so soft!!! did lots of grooming and cuddles decided just to walk up to yard as he is field livery furthest from yard, so there we were plodding along then i had a revelation, THERE ARE GEESE RIGHT BY THE SCHOOL AHHHH!!!!:banghead: my big boy is afraid of geese. so there he was up on his toes again 15 foot tall huffing and puffing like a dragon, so we stood and looked then walked/rushed past.

i feel such a fool how could i have not really thought of the stupid geese. nevermind new plan lots of desensitisation to geese just walking round school and will progress to lunging in there next week.

as OH says stop trying to rush him weve got him for the long run.

also think ive added picture hopefully will work.

Attachments

• prince6.jpg
    prince6.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 52
  • prince.jpg
    prince.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 57
Did you have him vetted and, if so, did you have bloods taken? I don't know the owner/seller, but some unscrupulous owners/dealers have been known to dope horses when being viewed by prospective buyers.

That said, it could simply be the move that has unsettled him. That and the Spring grass. Let us know how you get on, keep an eye on his behaviour and if this unsettled behaviour under saddle becomes a trend consider his tack, feed, workload and/or whether he was mis-represented to you by the seller.

Good luck . . . it's daunting buying a new horse . . . but you have years of enjoyment ahead of you :).

N

forgot to say bridle came with him. bought GP self adjusting saddle so very light and flexible so not sure it was that but will get all checked this week.
thanks all:smile:
also rode him in school and out hacking before buying and he was absolutely brill.

Lush grazing, new home etc. There's a lot for a new horse to get used to.

Definitely get back and teeth checked just to make sure and check saddle for fitting.

My irish cob had a few teething problems when he arrived but soon settled down.

Oh what a lovely face! :inlove:

But I do think he looks a little anxious/unsettled - it's only to be expected. I am really glad to hear he is pleased to see you and looking for affection, that's real bonding for so early on.

But my, he is a big chap, so take that groundwork seriously. You want him to listen to you when he is worried about geese!

Your OH is quite right - you're in it for the long haul. Read some of my posts about Ziggy and you'll see just the same, so I can promise you that you'll feel even better about him having had one or two little wrinkles to iron out.

Good luck :dance:

Your new boy is lovely - and welcome to NR!

One of the things that I've picked up from what you've written about your boy is that the saddle is a self adjusting one - have I got that right?

If so, i'd be seriously thinking about getting a proper saddler out (sms one) to check it, some of this self adjusting saddle arent quite what they're cracked up to be. Obviously, if its a Wintec or a Thorowgood then fair enough - but i'd still be getting it checked just incase.

Nurse9,I think you're definitely making the right decision to slow it down a bit. How old is he? Just a suggestion but my horse had a similar response (and still does if tonight's efforts are anything to go by!) to the unknown and nervous. He takes his confidence from his rider or owner and if they don't exude cockiness then he takes matters into his own hands and makes a run for it. Its been 20months now and I've had six falls (seven after tonight!) If I could give one piece of advice it would be to slow it down, build a relationship on the ground and then work your way up - exactly what you are doing. Its really good fun watching his responses to everything out and about on walks in hand, you'll love it. And he's a bit of a hunk isn't he!?! All the best, I'll read with interest!
Oh and yes, make sure everythings ok physically - well worth it.

another vote for the saddler and back person :) wintecs or thorowgoods don't completely self adjust either. they may have a better chance of fitting, but you still need to get them fitted and adjusted properly, to be on the safe side.

he looks lovely btw! has a very kind face :) and GEESE!! *i* would have been terrified so well done you :)

thanks to all for support. we have been doing some serious bonding over last couple of days lots of grooming, feet picking and walks. yesterday met the woman who first came over to me when i was knocked out didnt recognise her at all:frown: anyway she said he was very stressed when took him up to yard to take off saddle etc. then i realised he would have had to walk past paramedic car and ambulance lights, noise loads of men in hiviz:cry: so no wonder the whole area by the school is super scary for him. he is ok walking up to yard stressy when tied up on yard then he practically drags me back to his field poor boy. i have been quite stern last couple of times as i want him to know i am in charge although my stomach is doing flips. at least he has bonded with an ex-brood mare in his field not sure if he sees her as mum or girlfriend!!
answers to some questions
prince is rising seven but vet thought he was a late foal.
the saddle is a self adjusting synthetic. recommneded by woman who sold him to me. very light am getting saddler to come and have a look at weekend as long as he calms down a bit.
read on here somewhere that even if you dont ride for 6 months its a short time in the life of owning the horse. think friends are scared i wont get on him but i am not afraid of him itching to get back on now but dont want to go backwards again.:biggrin:

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, and I agree with taking it slow. He looks lovely - very handsome face!

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about your fall.

Your New Boy looks lovely but I so agree with your OH, exciting as
it all is, don't rush, such a big move for them when they move Homes,
Owners etc., so take it in their stride, some need time to settle.

He is only 7 so if broken late still quite a baby tbh.

Try to spend as much time as possible with him, grooming, walking about
in hand etc., and just attempt to get to know some of his likes and dislikes,
LIKE GEESE:wink:, and let him get to know you.

If you have a school, confine any riding to there. I am sure he will
settle along the line.

you'll get there :) maybe invest in a dually to use for a while if he tanks off towards the field? or lead in a bridle so he doesnt get used to being able to dragging you!

good luck with the saddler :)

with hs lovely face, i am sure he'll turn out perfect in the end :)

Well you could be describing EXACTLY how my JJ was when I 1st had him - as quiet as a lamb when I tried him but a very nervous and worried boy when I got him home. There is probably some old threads on here from last JUly onwards about the early days if you want to read them. But dont panic, he is a very sensible cobby now!:smile:

But the really interesting point of this is.......JJ originates from Athlone, same age as your boy, does his passport have the original owners name on it...just wondering if they might be related, Athlone isnt a huge place and he is the same type of cob. Wouldn't:smoke: it be a very small world if he does come from the same breeder?

have PM'd you cortrasna re: breeder.

minor panic yesterday morning as went to field collected my lovely boy from his field and pile of hay was still in front nighttime field (it has tree cover and less grass for nighttime) hmmm appears prince and his gang of three girlies had been on long daytime grass all night:frown:so brought him in as usual still eyes on stalks and stressed but grumpy too, strange. so tied him up in usual place with haynet and started our little bonding session. well his tummy was growling like nobodys business louder than i have heard any horses stomach pressed on both sides and was lifting back legs up towards tummy.:unsure:with this texted by friend who is fab and has been preventing me from panicking over this last week oh forgot to mention green sloppy poos too! my friend said he might be getting colicky but if he is pooing then all is well. pheww. i had to then leave him as i take my mother to chemo every other wed (thats another story) so off i go luckily OH was at home so sent him down to check on prince as i was sure had broken my new pony!
all seemed well so asked YM to keep him in starvation field next day.
so arrived today YM said he couldnt keep prince alone in nightime field as he had a bit of a hissy fit cantering alone the fence line trying to get to his girls so the let him in as didnt want him more stressed (ooo separation anxiety too!!:twins:) clearly couldnt have been colicky if cantering around like a loon.
but progress followed as brought him out for usual bonding grooming session and he was back to old self gentle and loving and enjoying his grooming. stood rock solid when tractor went past him twice, once with muck trailer too. not even a second look. so we went for little walkies all very good until near lane to sand school he gets agitated there am sure after talking to OH it is due to the fact that prince had to walk past 3 paramedic cars and an ambulance twice after we parted company last week:hot:

anyway much progress today feel really happy with how things are.

was thinking of using bridle to walk out so he wasnt so pully, just wanted to be a bit gentle initially. was thinking of a dually has anyone used these comments please.

until next time

I tried a Dually with Ziggy and he hated it. It jangled, and jangly tack puts him all in a doo dah.

Many people on the forum swear by them though, so I suspect Zigs is the exception.

newrider.com