New 9 month old shire

Kizzy's mum

Feb 26, 2008
Hi there

I'm just about to take delivery of a 9 month old shire foal. He's my first youngster I've taken on, so I'm hoping to get some tips. :)

He's already very relaxed and sweet natured, so does anyone have experience of any good books or dvds', to teach him manners, bomb proofing, right through to backing when he's old enough.

Any suggestions / help would be much appreciated

Thank you!

Congratulations:D

I found Birth To Backing by Richard Maxwell was really good and easy to follow with geat practical advice. His latest book is supposed to be fab too.

Ive also got Training your Foal by Renate Ettl, which is a lovely read.

When my yearling was a baby, i would keep training sessions very short and sweet and include farrier training, tying up, leading walking over and around random objects and through puddles etc. They also love going for walks as they are full of curiosity at that age!

Keep us updated!

I've found the Parelli program great, especially for referring new people to, who have little experience. You don't need to get hung up on the 'tools' & expensive programs(unless you want & can afford) so don't let that put you off. The principles are the most important factors of 'nh'. You can pretty much learn the principles from his book & what you'll find on the net, and if you combine this with some instruction from someone who knows what they're doing(& more to the point, why), you should find you progress well.

Any of Kelly marks books are also full of great advice and helpful information. I also love the birth to backing book by Richard Maxwell. Congratulations on your new horse.Look forward to seeing some pics of him and his progress.

thanks for the advice everyone - I'm going to have a look at the reviews, and will pick a couple I think

I'm very excited, but petrified also!! :D he's only my 2nd horse, and my current mare has been with me for a year - so I have lots of learning to do!!

Attachments

• shire colt.jpg
    shire colt.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 74
Great for you! Like others have already said, Richard Maxwell & Parelli. Me personally i love the BHS way of riding but think Parelli has huge learning benefits from a natural horse side of it. it can teach you so many basic things that really helps a long way.

I too have just bought 2 youngsters, 9 month TB, 1 1'2 Friesian filly's, this is my first real experience of 'youngsters'. Look in the natural horsemanship section here & you will find amazing advice to help you with the most trivial of things that you are worried about. I've done it.

Even down to halter breaking, confidence to picking feet up, it's all the beginning for your relationship, & let's face it 'we' all aim for a good horse life that doesn't demand too much stress but.... when things happen, just ask, advice is always out there & what a great forum to get it. :)

Good luck

Well done Gem at heart, on taking on two - good luck with it all!

His name is Charlie Skippy's mum, and yes, I'm very pleased too - can't wait to get him next week!

Thank you everyone for all of the advice, it's appreciated :)

My biggest tip is to make sure he has someone to play with. At his age he's got a lot to learn about being a horse that can only be taught by other horses. Additionally when he sees other horses going about thier routines e.g. rugs, tacking up etc, he'll be much more relaxed when it's his turn.

Another tip is consistent and firm handling. It's tempting to not check naughty/inappropriate behaviour because it's cute, but it can quickly escalate into an issue. Mutual grooming is a case in point, as those teeth hurt!!

Good luck with him, babies can be enormously rewarding!

I've been spending undermanding time with mine in the field, when they come up to me i give them a good groom without headcallars or ropes so that they trust me & chose to be around me rather than me 'getting them'.

i use key words like 'up' when i do thier feet & they are already sussing what i mean. :) Lot's of smiles too - they know all about facial expressions!

hi your lad is beautiful!! i also have a shire youngster, he was totally wild when i had him, he is my second youngster, i didnt have a clue when i bought my first one but every one has to start some where.. lol luckily my 2 young 1s are both lil angels, i didnt read any books or watched any dvd's, it was all comen sense really(with a lil help of some one of the yard) , bobby who is now nearly 3 has been lunged,long reigned, harnessed up and pulled a lil trap once and also has had some one sitting on him, either we are very lucky to have such good young horses or i must be doing something right lol infact the young ones are better behaved than the 2 older ones lol :D hope it all goes well for you:)

Thanks for the advice and info everyone. I had him on Thursday - so here are my pics of him which I took today!

Attachments

• Photo-0116.jpg
    Photo-0116.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Photo-0119.jpg
    Photo-0119.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 14
newrider.com