Nervous excitment

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
I thought I would put this here as there is a fine line between excitement and fear I think.

I tend to get so excited before I ride I sometimes 'boil over' and get a 'block'.

I hate this feeling and wish I could get rid of it, some times its so bad I feel exhausted before I even get on. I have always had it. I used to think it was a riding school thing and that if I rode more often it would go away, but it hasn't:frown:

I am the same if I am going to a party or anything, I just get totally over excited. My old cure all was to have a tipple but as I almost turned into an alcoholic, I can't use this method anymore.

What do you do to 'settle yourself' in these circumstances, I have never learnt to deal with it. My mum always used to avoid us getting excited as kids so I have never learnt to cope with it, which sounds daft I know but that's how it is.

Suggestions please. I fear if I don't 'calm down' I will turn my horse into a loonie and get chucked off because I get 'stiff' with excitement.

I generally make the effort to appear 'normal' for the horses benefit and gradually calm down once on board. It would be nice to get rid of it altogether though, it puts me off and is exhausting.

I guess it depends on your level of nervous excitement. Some of it you can hide from a horse, just by smiling and having a little bit of a conversation with Storm before I get on board say as I tack up can help me. I can almost trick her into believing there isn't anything to worry about (there isn't of course, it's just her loony rider, me!lol).
I think body language can help you, if you try deep breathing and make an effort to relax things like your shoulders, that can help too.
It's so difficult isn't it? Have you considered maybe an herbal tonic to calm you before riding? I know some folk like the Bach essence thingies.
Another thing that works for me, is nattering to OH as I get ready to ride - do you have anybody nearby to natter to?
I also imagine the Benny Hill theme music a lot - it makes me laugh so much and I just can't stay tense for long if I play it in my head!

The way I manage it is get up early and ride first thing in the morning. It stops me having the time to build the nerves/excitement. Being a member of the 5.30am hacking riding club really helped me and even now I ride as early as possible and it is always more successful than a later ride.

Ugh, I know this feeling well. And not just to do with horses....if I have somewhere I'm nervous about going to, I get apprehensive like you say.

I find the anticipation is worse than the actual doing. Nat's tactic worked really well for me with my confidence for the last few years. Ride early on and therefor you don't build it up to be something by the time you actually get there.
I don't hesitate at all either. If I drive to the field, I don't even pause for thought when in my car. I get out, get on with it immediately. Don't stop!
Other than that, lots of singing, lots of breaking it down into little manageable pieces - bring in and groom, tack up, get on. By that time, I'm fine and can just get on with it.

The way I manage it is get up early and ride first thing in the morning. It stops me having the time to build the nerves/excitement. Being a member of the 5.30am hacking riding club really helped me and even now I ride as early as possible and it is always more successful than a later ride.

I used to ride early but can't now due to her needing turnout for a few hours before. Must admit, I do miss it - it used to be a great way to start the day. Plus as you say, you don't get chance to build it up beforehand.

I can relate to this completelynTina, especially away from horses when going out somewhere new, I think well into my 40's I needed to have a good tipple before going anywhere and invariably I was sozzled wherever I went and feel like I have wasted so many years.
Nowadays since riding I have a new confidence, may be something to do with my age aswell. My approach to life has changed, I am no longer worried what people think of me and am comfy in my own (tubby) skin.
I remember when I first got Daisy I would get so not and bothered when tacking up, I would be exhausted before I even rode out! Nowadays she is like my o,d friend, I'm comfy with her too.
I don't go out of my comfort zone too much, I do the same old things on the same old days and when I have to face something new and get panicky I don't turn to the drink anymore but have it in my head I will be fine once I have done said new adventure, I suppose it's age and experience kicking in again.

I have really bad anxiety in general but when it comes to riding i get the same. I am so excited I feel like Im going to burst but then I am also anxious. I will always try and book a lesson as early as possible. As Nat says it gives you less time to think about things.

I am having to travel alot over the next few weeks with work and I have tried to get out of it, I hate having anxiety attacks especially with work as I dont want everyone knowing what is wrong with me.

Phew, certainly glad I am not on my own then, I must be 'normal after all lol.

I agree getting up and getting straight on with it is the best option.

Like Flipo, once I am on board it starts to go away:smile:

Sometimes its worse than others, today, I left it too late and was in a right state.

Fortunately I met my land owner and we stood nattering for so long I forgot all about it and had calmed down considerably:smile:

We had a good ride, dide some schooling and then when I felt brave enough we did some canter on either rein. She was really good and no bucking episodes, well only one bunny hop lol.

We then went for a small hack,......oh no, the cows where all by the fence in a huddle how they do. Que, Cheries eyes out on organ stops and starts neighing, cows go up and started milling round, Cherie went into complete panic and tried to run for it, few steps closer, I got off and lead her past. That was some ordeal in itself, as we moved the cows followed :eek: it was not an easy manoeuvre. Cherie grew about 2 feet in height and and turned into something that resembled an Arab X TB X Welsh Cob stallion. Gone was any sense or sensibility.

We managed it in the end and towards home she calmed down and I was able to remount.

She hasn't really encountered many cows so poor thing was scared witless.

Never mind, the same cows will shortly be going in the field next door to hers so she will get used to them then.

Ooooh well done! Yes, the cows being in the next field will make sure she gets used to them. Ours are only funny about them until they've been here grazing a while. By the time they go in for the winter, they're used to them good and proper - then when they get let out again, we have a few moments until they realise "oh, it's only the strange horse / cow beasts".................(I think Storm thought the Highland ones were shaggy ponies at first!lol with strange headgear on.................)

I had a period like this when never was before and it because my work stress was through the roof and effecting me in so many other ways but I hadnt realised til hubby pointed it to me :cry:

Im better now with tablets to help me sleep a few times a week and riding more is lifting my spirits plus making me more confident as my horses arent so fresh of course so less mad to ride.

All I can tell you is that the more you do it, the better and easier it will be.

Riding sporadically if you are nervous, I think is possibly the worst thing you can do.

You need to ride often and if you are nervous, you need to ride first thing in the morning. That is what worked for me.

I am happy to say that it doesn't matter at the moment to me when I ride, morning, afternoon or evening. I no longer spend the day worrying about it, but I have done, and it is an awful feeling.

Ride early, and ride often, and you will find the nerves disappear of their own accord.

I am so like this.

I have tried all sorts:
Rescue Remedy - Overdosed too much on this dosnt seem to work any more ha.

Pax Horse - Spray to use on me to hide my fear haaaaa dosnt seem to work.

Alochol - Not tried this yet before riding probably not goo idea,! especially if hacking

Larch - similar to rescue remedy supposed to give you confidence or something along those lines, not tried it yet, first test tomorrow, Any one else used this?

All kings of calmers for bert - None of them seem to work, most recent one is horse first relax me, I cant make my mind up if it is making a difference or not.

One thing for sure that makes bertie easier to ride it lots of work everyday, but I really struggle to find the time :-(

Any way just wanted to you to know you are not alone, and sorry for ramble!

Thanks everyone, I am pretty sure if there is a key to it I need to be up and out early and regularly. No excuse now we have the light mornings.

Only trouble is, being an oldie, I am lucky if I can see straight when I get up. I tend to have to sit for an hour or I keep tripping over things etc:giggle:

I will have a go though:smile: (Cherie is not the only one who is sluggish, trippy and pottery lol).

You are definatly not alone Tina!! :smile:

I get this specially when jumping, I get very excited which as you said can boil over into nerves.

Also when competing I have to really concentrate on my breathing so I don't allow myself to get over excited/nervous!

As others said its always easier when you go out first thing in the morn, if I'm waiting all day I get very anxious/expectant!

I personally find the more you ride/jump or whatever it seems to go away. Once it's in built in your routine it just ends up being a normal thing. :smile:

Yes, its a weird thing, its like you have to go through the 'bad stuff' i.e. the Nerves, to get to the good stuff, the riding and then the euphoria. Then come home with a starry look in your eye, telling everyone how good your horse is and how much you like riding:giggle:

newrider.com