Nerves are getting the better of me

Jeni_92

May 7, 2006
Merseyside
Hi I'm not scard of riding i just get nervous of diff things a horse/pony do and different ponys and changing paces or changing what i do! I want to get rid of these fears please help!!! eg) when ma pony shakes his head or goes 2 fast or i get on a horse i dnt no i get realli nervous even tho ive seen ppl ride the horses and they ae fine but i jus cant get over the nerves even tho i have been riding for a year now!!

Aww Jeni!:(

Every rider reaches this stage..... and basically its a part of riding that happens and you have to put up with, get over or let it get the better of you. Its natural to be scared of riding a new horse/pony, I am myself but its just one of those things..... and most of the time you're fine in the end.:) I know how easy it is to think of the "what ifs" but like I said its natural and you should go riding with an open mind really, or positive, sit in that saddle and think postive!:D

Hope it settles soon, Im sure you'll be fine,

Vic x

dont worry, everyone goes through this at some point:)

i used to get really nervous when i cantered and it made me freeze up made me more uncomfy and then i froze up even more

do you wear a body protector?
i think wearing one is a bit like 'mind over matter' you feel more confident even if you dont need it:)

thanks i am going on holz nxt week 2 the lake district and i am going to sockbridge trekking centre and cannot wait i am goin up the fells but again very nervous i just hope this might mak me think if i can do that i can have a leson in the arena!

if its like anything ive been on (and ive been on a few hacks at trekking centres) if you say youre nervous theyll give you a horse that will basically just follow the horse in front, maybe thats a possibility if your nervous.

you'll be fine:) just remember to breathe and if you get nervous, hold abit of mane, neckstrap or as a last resort-the pommel

Jeni_92 said:
thanks sugerlump i can't wait wen i ring to book i will say i am nervous and so they can give me a horse that suits me! :):)

Exactly!:D Im sure that won't be a problem! And many trekking horses, if not all, are very well schooled and suitable.

Have fun

newrider.com