Needy pony

Loveslayla

Dec 30, 2019
I have a fab 11yr old cob, he is a gentle sole but with some character ... I have only had him since Feb and is my first horse.
He is currently on a diy livery. Initially he shared a field with 3 other horses but they moved, he didn’t like being on his own, he was then introduced to another pony which he gets on with.. but this pony is going away to get backed.
He gets anxious if he’s in the field alone and will call and pace... but eventually settled somewhat.
Do you think he’d eventually settle alone if left or do I need to think long term about a companion for him x any experience with horse anxiety and overcoming it.
He is fine stabled on his own overnight

Will he be the only horse left on the yard? Does he have company over a fence? Can he be introduced to another horse on the yard?

I have a companion pony, and brought him a companion for when I was out riding ;) (I have sole use of a property with empty fields either side) so def not against companions, but generally if keeping your horse on livery you shouldn't need one and it's a big extra commitment as they still need all the care and money spent on them the same as any horse/pony.

Will he be the only horse left on the yard? Does he have company over a fence? Can he be introduced to another horse on the yard?

I have a companion pony, and brought him a companion for when I was out riding ;) (I have sole use of a property with empty fields either side) so def not against companions, but generally if keeping your horse on livery you shouldn't need one and it's a big extra commitment as they still need all the care and money spent on them the same as any horse/pony.

There are other horses... but not near his summer field... when his buddy goes he will be alone... I’ve asked the yard owner and he has an older horse that can come ‘ babysit’ mine until Loui returns but he will be returned to his usual herd, but then even when Loui is back if Loui is out with his owner Archie will be left, I don’t want him to get upset and anxious, I have the time to commit to a companion but it is a double cost - I have found a loan /companion pony who is free to loan and 4yrs old who isn’t backed hence why companion... with the view that once backed ( in 2years) we could continue to loan.. which may work as I have a young daughter ... I just dunno what to do for the best x

I wouldn't be too concerned about being left for short periods while the other horse is being ridden unless he's really getting himself in a mess over it (I often go away for weekends with my horse and my companion pony would be dripping with sweat head to toe at being left which is why I got a 3rd). I'd borrow the oldie and see how you get on and deal with it IF it becomes a problem.

Reactions: carthorse
I wouldn't be too concerned about being left for short periods while the other horse is being ridden unless he's really getting himself in a mess over it (I often go away for weekends with my horse and my companion pony would be dripping with sweat head to toe at being left which is why I got a 3rd). I'd borrow the oldie and see how you get on and deal with it IF it becomes a problem.

That what I was thinking... I’ve never seen him that worked up, I’m kinda the type of person that is happy to leave to see if he will settle, I just don’t wanna get frowned up by the rest of the yard thank you.. Xx

Reactions: Jessey
He's likely stressed because of all the sudden changes in a short space of time.
New yard, new owner, company he started to get on with have gone. Now the new one is there and that will go as well.

Dont stress about what others think on the yard first and foremost. Concerntrate on keeping your horse happy. Are you able to hack out at the moment. Sometimes horses can be kept alot calmer if they get exercised regularly. Hacking out on there own, gives them that time alone. It also helps tire there minds, so when they go back into the field they have exercised and just want to get there heads down to eat rather than thinking about company.

Dont stress about what others think on the yard first and foremost. Concerntrate on keeping your horse happy. Are you able to hack out at the moment. Sometimes horses can be kept alot calmer if they get exercised regularly. Hacking out on there own, gives them that time alone. It also helps tire there minds, so when they go back into the field they have exercised and just want to get there heads down to eat rather than thinking about company.

Yes we are lucky we are going out riding 3/4 a week... sometimes around the village but also we have Fenced an area of field off for riding and I bought some drain pipes as little jumps... for my daughter... so he’s getting plenty of excersize and time out... he’s fine being taken out on his own like this.. I agree that there have been loads of changes for him.. and his herd has come and gone.

newrider.com