needing a little more now... what do you suggest?

posie

Honey's slave...
Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
www.barkscotland.com
honey was on limited grass as she got fat in her field when i was having saddle issues.... but now she's about right i'd say for coming into winter... here she is on sunday: she's still on limited grazing at the mo but is getting a new strip twice a week to stop it getting too low - so still has plently without being able to gorge if that makes sense?
IMG_2655.jpg

now as i am going to be getting her fitter for comps (at the mo on 40+ mins a day trot and canter hill work type level - want to increase to 1hr trot/canter work)

i feel that she may need a bit more to help stop her loosing weight and to help add muscle and stamina... i sometiems feel as if just grass does not give her prolonged stamina like a feed would - although it's keeping her weight ok now.

she currently gets a handful of safe n sound after work with some joint suppliment in so it's not exactly adding calories at all ;)

do i....

a) let her into more grass and not add feed...

b) add something like a competition mix...

c) other.... (please advise ;))

OOOH - NO ALFALFA ie dengie chaffs etc - she goes MENTAL on it - NOT the kind of energy i need ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you can just stick with grass, TBH I would increase her work first and then react if she does loose a bit, she might not straight away. The thing with giving grain rations is the added risks of tummy upsets and it going to their head, and good ole grass will cost you a whole heap less too :D
If once she is doing the work regularly you find you need a bit more oomph the I really like the Spillers Response slow release energy mix, I find it gives nice controlable energy while still giving the extra oomph :p

newrider.com