Need to put up electric fence for Winter

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
i will do a 'Google' search when I get time, but I now have 5 horses and 4 Wintter turnout areas. So the plan is to slit the biggest area into two using electric fence.
The problem is, is tat the ground is hardcore. So I can't get normal electric fence posts in. Has anyone any ideas of what I can use?
I had to split the area recently to restrict my laminitis pony, I just tied electric fence up from one fence rail across to that on the opposite side, which worked ok, but I didn't have to do it everyday. I need something fairly permanent with a ' gate' to let one horse into the fenced off bit.
Hope that makes sense!

How far is it? I've managed to get plastic posts in some bits of the stone driveway at the field, sometimes takes a dozen tries tho. For the bits I needed something a bit more beefy I put a wooden post in a wheel and tyre (a bit pikey but doing the job for now) and I've seen several people using an old bucket, filled with concrete and a post put in it :)

The ground is building materials and stone. Around 36ft I think.
I thought about buckets and concrete last night, didn't know if I was being a bit daft. I have asked Mr Star if he could rig me something up using concrete. We have a few large clay pots in the garden doing nothing, so he is going to use those with a fence post stuck into concrete. I think we will need 4 to cover the length.
He is going to try to make them so that they are no too heavy to be moved, but if they are spaced out enough, I think they can be left in there and just take off the tape in Summer when Star will have the paddock to herself.
If I remember, I'll take photos of the finished product and let you know if it works.

For 36ft I would just stick a hook on the fence and use gate handles to make it openable :) my standard post requirement is every 8m around the field as long as I have a solid post at either end to be able to tension it, I also only use 3mm twine as it's lighter and doesn't sag so much.

newrider.com