Need to make things a bit more interesting...

*carrie*

Mar 21, 2006
I need some advice. I have had Carrie since Feb. She has come so far, she is off of all calming supplements and has chilled out completely whereas before she was a spooky all the time and pulled back when tied etc etc

Anyway the only problem is that she can be nappy on her own. She has done really well in the school and hasn't napped much lately and I even managed to walk her from the indoor school all the way to the outdoor school without any fuss which is a huge achievement.

The thing is that we can't really hack out much as she won't go on her own and there isn't always someone else around for company and I think she is getting a bit bored. I have tried doing a bit of jumping with her but she just seems to have lost all her ooomph.

Has anyone got any ideas of what I can do to make things a little more interesting please?

I know how you feel, my ten year old is in the same slump right now. Ever since we got our baby, she has been very dependent on him, is spooking far more than she was and is getting quite barn sour!!!

My advice is to build up her confidence...about hacking definitely. There is an underlying reason why she does not do well out on the trail. She is worried about something and her confidence in herself and you is not there.

And as boring as this sounds (i have heard it hundreds of times myself)...it is all about GROUNDWORK and preparation before leaving for a trail ride!! Keep working at your schooling center, then maybe only go about fifty yards away and come back and work some more. She will soon realize that going on a hack is a NON work situation where all she has to do is walk...and that at the schooling center,...all she does is WORK!! :)

I hope this helps. Remember, groundwork groundwork groundwork!!! Good Luck!!

Long reining will definately help, for 2 reasons.

Firstly because it is something different!

2nd because it builds up a horses confidence. You are driving them forwards, its great for horses that are getting a bit nappy.

newrider.com