Need some brakes!

Have you had her saddle fit checked too? Can I just say that I'm glad you are looking to teach your horse to slow down correctly - I really don't think a stronger bit will make a difference. If she has poor balance or muscle tone then she will find it physically difficult to stop. Also, a stronger bit will make her more inclined to fight you and resist the contact: you need to change her atittude rather than supress her forcefully. You need to go back to basics and spend time schooling her, praising her when she slows down. A neckstrap or stirrup leather around her neck has been known to help many strong or onward-bound horses, as you can apply pressure on it, as well as the slowing aids, to encourage her to rebalance and steady: gradually you will only need to apply light pressure to it and she will slow down.
I hope this works out!

x

Ok - I'd work on these:

Improving the brakes: (groundwork and ridden work)

http://irishnhsociety.proboards41.com/index.cgi?board=usefulinformation&action=display&thread=311

First thing I'd teach is halt - backup. When perfect, walk, halt, back. Etc.

Creating softness when riding (ridden work)

http://irishnhsociety.proboards41.com/index.cgi?board=usefulinformation&action=display&thread=406

This exercise (softness) teach the horse to give to the bit, not to lean on it.

On the bit - nicely:

http://irishnhsociety.proboards41.com/index.cgi?board=usefulinformation&action=display&thread=315

And then the above is a general introduction to what you're looking for in a nice ridden horse.

Good luck :)

Great that you're looking to train her, rather than try to force the issue with pain. Great too that you've had her back & teeth checked out. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean to say she is fine with her saddle - there are good & bad professional saddle fitters out there, as with everything. Balance International have heaps of great info on their site re saddles. Also the saddle may be OK, but sitting too far forward, or forcing you into a forward position which is causing her balance issues.

She could also have an issue with the bit which has nothing to do with her teeth. I'd be interested to know how she goes in a halter? This is actually what I'd start with, and progress to a bit *only after* she's learned softness, because using any bit with force will create pain and problems, especially a single jointed snaffle, which can be quite harsh. I have had success 'retraining' 'too forward' horses by purely removing the bit and using a halter. I have known many people who have tried this successfully with their own horses too, so it's not just me as a trainer it works for. You can study Dr Cook's site for more info there. Of course, most horses require at least a bit of training too, and it pays to start off in a controlled environ such as an arena, so the horse can't run away with you if she sees fit....

I suspect that if it is purely a training issue rather than pain & if she's getting worse again, you are not being consistent &/or not reinforcing her well enough for what you're getting that's 'Good'. Consistency is particularly hard if you're in company, unless they're willing to go along with what you need, as keeping up with your mates can mean ignoring her behaviour, but getting left behind will make her more keen to go. Reinforcement must happen *instantly* at the *first sign* of 'Right' behaviour. Generally people use negative reinforcement in horse training - removal of pressure - but positive reinforcement - reward, addition of Good Stuff - will go a long way too.

I would first make sure she's happy to yield to pressure from the ground first, before riding. Then, in an arena or such(so you can safely *ask* rather than *make*) I would ask her to walk, give it a minute, then ask her to stop, first with your seat, then *softly* with the rein.

I'd progress to a level of discomfort if necessary, and just keep holding the pressure until she responds. *The instant* she does, release all pressure to reinforce her. Even if at first she only slows a little or hesitates, reinforce whatever you get.

Repeat the process until she's stopping on the softer cues, before attempting to move quicker from softest to firmest, to teach her to respond promptly, ask for more of a stop, *or* in different environments *or* attempt to teach her the same at a trot, then canter. I say 'or' because you should only introduce one new criteria at a time during training.

newrider.com