Need NR help to find Smokey

Nettle123

Jul 2, 2010
Worcestershire
I have posted this in the cafe area as we are desperately worried about Smokeys wellbeing, hope that is ok ModTeam.

Smokey was sold recently to a Lady in Lenham, Kent as a light hack/companion. Within days arriving at his home he was seen by two Vets and his lameness was deemed so severe that he needed to be pts. His previous Owner was devasted and immediatley made arrangement for him to be returned home and the new Owner refunded/recompensed. His travel costs were paid upfront and dates times of return confirmed.

It subsequently came to light that Smokey was being advertised on Horsemart for three time his original price with no mention of his limited use. He was advertised as a bombproof family horse suitable for a novice. A brief telephone call was then received advising that Smokey would not be coming home as he had been sold.

We are very concerned that Smokeys new Owner may not be aware of his ongoing lameness issues which are due to spavin. He has been receiving ongoing veterinary care for the last two years.

This was a very sad sale and we really need to know that Smokey is okay or otherwise. He is a 16.2 piebald id cross, 10 years old, mainly black with four white feet/legs and a distinctive white flash on his nearside shoulder.

Smokeys picture is my avatar, other pictures are now in my album.

If anyone has any information please let me know. He is also on tracing horses on H & H.

Last edited:
I am so sorry, what nasty people, probably what they had in mind all along, as he probably went cheap due to his issues.

A friend of mine bought a schoolmaster, turned out he was a loss of use who was supposed only to do light hacking, he had been a good dressage horse but could no longer do lateral work etc. She found in fact that he had major issues with his spine, and he had to be pts about 3 months after she got him. She found the owners who had sold him as a light hack and they were horrified that he had been sold on as a dressage schoolmaster as he had been written off for that, and they had sold him for very little to a 'good home'.

I hope you find him.

Thank you all so much for your support.

Smokey is a really genuine kind horse and would try his hardest but he is just would not be up to normal use as he needs to be nursed along and his condition managed. I do have a facebook account but have no idea how to set up a trace for him, will do some digging. I will try and add some pictures on here later.

It would be wonderful if his new home were fully aware of his situation but somehow I doubt it :unsure:

Thank you all so much for your support.

Smokey is a really genuine kind horse and would try his hardest but he is just would not be up to normal use as he needs to be nursed along and his condition managed. I do have a facebook account but have no idea how to set up a trace for him, will do some digging. I will try and add some pictures on here later.

It would be wonderful if his new home were fully aware of his situation but somehow I doubt it :unsure:

I'm sure you'll find a way, I know of two other horses who have pages, one of whom was found :wink:

I know someone who lives in Lenham, I probably see her in the morning and will ask if she knows or can find out anyhthing.

This is why I hate to see people selling thier unwanted horses as companions, so many stories of this happening :( I hope he's found.

Have to agree with this.As awful as it sounds it would possibly be kinder to PTS rather than pass on.Especially with the bigger and more useful types that are potentially worth good money.

Saw a 17hh 9 yr old warmblood near to me being sold recently as a schoolmaster but only for light work due to recent lameness and a navicular diagnosis. £500 'to a good home' made me so sad as although I think owners genuinely thought this would ensure him a nice suitable home,all I could think about was the amount of people that were just going to lie through their teeth to get him and then make a few bucks on him:(

Really hope horse in question is found safe and that he can then stay with OP (or whoever owns him??) and not risk being passed on again.Maybe loaning could be an option?? At least with a tight contract have a bit more control hopefully than when selling.

Have to agree with this.As awful as it sounds it would possibly be kinder to PTS rather than pass on.Especially with the bigger and more useful types that are potentially worth good money.

Saw a 17hh 9 yr old warmblood near to me being sold recently as a schoolmaster but only for light work due to recent lameness and a navicular diagnosis. £500 'to a good home' made me so sad as although I think owners genuinely thought this would ensure him a nice suitable home,all I could think about was the amount of people that were just going to lie through their teeth to get him and then make a few bucks on him:(

Really hope horse in question is found safe and that he can then stay with OP (or whoever owns him??) and not risk being passed on again.Maybe loaning could be an option?? At least with a tight contract have a bit more control hopefully than when selling.

Its true, you do live and learn :(.

Smokey will be guaranteed a home for life with me if we can find him. He belonged to a member of my family, the Seller now has deep regrets and is very worried. The Purchaser was extremely plausible and knowledgeable about his condition, having another horse with a similar condition. It seemed completely the right new home.

He was also sold with the proviso that if he did not suit then the original Owner would buy him back no questions asked. Contribution was also offered towards veterinary costs.

It is a very sad situation

This is a very obvious question - but I'm guessing the person who sold him on won't tell you who he has been sold to? Does she know? Could you get the RSPCA to go and speak to her? She hasn't done anything illegal (I don't think), but a horses welfare is at risk so it might be worth seeing if they can do anything.

Just a thought, is Smokey chipped/passported. New owner will probabley update in a week or two and you can possibly trace that way. I know some people don't bother, I recently bought a horse that was chipped and passported but hadn't been updated since Breeder:eek:. Smokey has unusual markings. Passport agency and chip people are very helpful. try that.

I'm not too far away from Lenham so will definitely keep my eyes open for Smokey at shows this year. Let me know if you do set up a page on facebook and I will share it to others as I have lots of fb friends with horses who will be only to happy to keep an ear open for you. I really hope you find him and if there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.

If I was them I would put a picture/advert up on Horsemart detailing all of this.

I have been in touch with the Lenham person. She has assured me horse is safe and even offered for me to visit and see for myself. Sounds like a mix up to me so I am going to butt out. I suggest you phone her and have a sensible conversation.

newrider.com