Need more saddle time

Dec 1, 2008
Hi

I'd really like to spend more time in the saddle, but can't afford more riding lessons than I am having at the moment.

I'd like to loan a horse, but don't feel like I'm competent enough yet to take on someone else's horse - more time riding would help this I think.

I'm thinking of buying later in the year and keep it on working livery at the yard where I ride, which would be great, but that's not for a while yet.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get more time in the saddle? been racking my brains!

Thanks

How about a share? Sometimes owners are willing to teach you some things along the way :) Or maybe ask if your riding school has a loan system?

Also, try looking up the Mentoring thread on here...may be someone in your area :D

Personally i've never known a riding school with a loan system either, though lots of people on here have done so. Why not look for a share for a couple of days a week- you'll find you learn TONS about horsecare plus you'll get that extra bum-in-saddle time. I'd been riding for 30+ years but knew very little about horsecare when i began my share last year, now I look after my share horse mostly on my own.

The only shares I ever seem to see look like they are looking for more experienced riders than me - they say things like "not a novice ride" and "experienced riders only", which I can understand, as I wouldn't want a novice potentially doing something wrong either!

So, have you seen shares where the owner is willing to take on someone less experienced?

So, have you seen shares where the owner is willing to take on someone less experienced?

well yes, mine for a start ! A lot of owners will sacrifice riding experience for someone who is kind, committed and willing to muck in. Everyone would LIKE a really competent experienced rider to share their horse and improve it while doing so, but in reality, most of those people already have their own horses.

I've been riding for a long time, but to be perfectly honest, i too would be very wary of asking about anything that says "not a novice ride" - even though my own share horse is quite plainly not a novice ride !

You can also put up your own advert in the local tack shops, etc. Make it plain that you are a novice rider, but that you are very willing to help out with stable chores etc, can commit to such-and-such number of days, financial contribution, etc. I know you said your riding school doesn't offer a loan scheme, but do they have a notice board where you can put up your advert for a share? Or speak to your RI, ask her if she knows anyone who's got a suitable horse who's looking for a sharer.

By the way, I have just gone back and read over your other posts - you've had experience with eventers, you're riding SJers in your lessons, what exactly makes you think you're not competent to take on sharing a horse? The way you wrote your original post made it sound as if you were just starting to ride and only just confident with trotting or something....you are probably more "with it" than quite a few of the owners you'd encounter if you phoned up about shares !

Well, all that is true! The thing with the SJ pony and the ex racehorse is that I've fallen off both of them in the past month, and am going through a bit of an "I'm no good" phase and while I can get them to do what I want (well, maybe not the ex racehorse so much!), I wouldn't say that I am able to ride them as well as I'd like. I don't feel like I can say I'm competent or anything. I just think I'd be wary of taking on something that said "not a novice ride" unless I was sure I could handle it!
The eventers were a handful, and very big, but that was years ago, and while it's become apparant that you don't forget how to handle horses or anything, I'm a little rusty!
I guess I just don't have that much confidence in myself or my ability. I tend to look at other riders and think "when I can ride like that, then I can say I can take on not novice rides".

But maybe you're right, I guess I have nothing to lose by enquiring and putting up notices, talking to my RI etc :)

Why don't you put an ad in the local tack shops stating your level of riding experience and asking if anyone is looking for a sharer or help with their horses. My guess is there's a few people out there who, at this time of year would snap your hand off.
When looking for a sharer, I'm not worried if the person is inexperienced, personality and a sense of responsibility is more important to me, but then I have a gelding who is very easy going, though for my mare, I would need someone more experienced.
A friend of mine always prefers novicey people so she can train them to do things to suit her and her horse, rather than an 'expert' who thinks they know everything.

newrider.com