Need more impulsion towards a jump!

Been practicing jumping lately - only trouble is

1) getting enough impulsion towards the jump...and after to keep going (ie 'no we dont' stop after just one!)

2) Taking off too early/late -hence cat leap in the air!

3) landing unbalanced in canter and having to revert back to trot.

I am usually knackered after 3 jumps to keep him going!

We've jumped about 3 foot - but mostly from a standstill as he slows down on approach and then suddenly jumps (and I get embarrasingly left behind!!)

Any suggestions!

Could you try lungeing/free schooling over jumps so the horse can sort himself out and practise technique?

Been practicing jumping lately - only trouble is

1) getting enough impulsion towards the jump...and after to keep going (ie 'no we dont' stop after just one!)

2) Taking off too early/late -hence cat leap in the air!

3) landing unbalanced in canter and having to revert back to trot.

I am usually knackered after 3 jumps to keep him going!

We've jumped about 3 foot - but mostly from a standstill as he slows down on approach and then suddenly jumps (and I get embarrasingly left behind!!)

Any suggestions!

how green is your horse?

what are you doing before a jump and what pace and you coming into a fence, and how big are the fences you generally practice with

how do you set up your jumps ...ie with placing poles

if you have a video might help to judge better

and your being knackered is a fittness thing, if you can swimming is amazing and realtivly fast (better then say running or areobics or what have you) at increasing your caridovascular endurance

Work on the canter itself! and RIDE the corners before the jump - thats where you are more than likely to lose impulsion.

how green is your horse?

what are you doing before a jump and what pace and you coming into a fence, and how big are the fences you generally practice with

how do you set up your jumps ...ie with placing poles

if you have a video might help to judge better

and your being knackered is a fittness thing, if you can swimming is amazing and realtivly fast (better then say running or areobics or what have you) at increasing your caridovascular endurance

I know when I look at the fence that definetly puts him off so am trying NOT to do that!

Placing poles help but he sometimes gets worried taking off and either does a humungous leap or just knocks the pole. I will try and get a video sorted to help..there's a pic on the link here>: (3rd one down) http://www.peterjamesphotography.com/acatalog/Afternoon.html

to me it sounds like your horse is green and not sure what he is meant to do. Lunging and freeschooling will help him sort himself out.Make sure your placing poles are in the right place and keep the jumps nice and small so as you don't make him nervous of jumping.Use a small grid of correctly strided small jumps and with trotting poles on the approach to it to help him work out that it is easier than it looks. Make sure you do this without a rider on board to start with. Remember though that while most horses can jump not all of them are natural jumpers and some take longer to get the hang of jumps than others. Keep it simple for now.With regard to the impulsion the jump will be much easier once he is going forwards and wil be alot smoother all round. Work on getting him going forwards on the flat properly and make sure he is warmed up well before asking him to jump and you should find it alot easier.

I'd say your main problem is with rhythm and I would echo whoever it was who said work on your canter. The jump is an extension of the canter stride and should flow seamlessly. I would start by getting a good rhythm in the canter going large and on a 20m circle. Don't let the horse come out of a rhythm - if it is slowing down and not listening to your leg aid (sounds like yours is not responsive, if you are knackered trying to keep it going) use a stick. Most people will agree that a quick smack is better than keep thumping with your legs and giving loads of strong leg aids (kicking!). Then I would work over single poles on the floor in canter, aiming to get a good approach into them so that the canter does not change when you turn and it continues over the pole and on the getaway. If you can keep your canter rhythm over poles it will be much easier over fences and height should not be an issue. Rhythm goes hand in hand with balance i.e. without being in a rhythm the horse is not properly balanced, but with a rhythm your horse should land better over a fence and be able to continue cantering to the next fence.

Ditto everyone re.canter work. I'm doing it at the moment to try and improve jumping technique.

I have found walk to canter transitions really help my horse to power for behind and lift the shoulder - all a requirement of jumping:)

newrider.com