Need Ideas For Horse Toys

subsectionx

Sep 7, 2004
Florida
www.subsectionx.com
Im looking for ideas for horse toys.. my horses get alot of lovings and grooming but they seem to be a bet bored... I thought of maybe some big balls but my husband told me i'm crazy that they wont touch it.. I told him that if they get bored anough they well play with anything... my mini mare and gelding all the time are looking for something to do...
:) any ideas:)

Horses DO get bored of those balls quick...if they even touch it. If youre lucky,your horse might nose at it a little bit and quickly lose interest. Most horses arent interested in it. In the paddocks, youll see the ball lying there left all alone....and same with in the stall covered with dust.

I think food is the best way to keep them busy....;) but of course you dont want them becoming FAT lol...

Ive been looking at toys online and Im looking at this little barrel thing that has stuff in it to make noise and when they role it around it drops out treats... carrot or apple bits but Im not really sold on it yet...

Buy a big vegetable (like a suede, don't know if you get them in the US?), put string through the middle & then hang it up somewhere.

You could also put some apples in the water trough/buckets

I'm a fan of empty milkbottles with little bits of feed in that you hang somewhere in the stable, not only does it give feed if they play with it...it rattles too!:D
Also...it's a lot cheaper than the likit toys etc ;)

Originally posted by subsectionx
this little barrel thing that has stuff in it to make noise and when they role it around it drops out treats

I've used a small bottle for that, like a Gatorade 20 oz bottle. Much cheaper :) and pretty durable...and they catch on pretty quickly that the bottle has good stuff in it.

You can also use a milk jug, or a 2 liter soda bottle, or anything else that will roll and has a small opening.

Playful horses may enjoy large horse ball-type toys. I have also known of horses who played with short knotted ropes, a short bit of rope attached to a big marine plastic float, orange traffic cones, bristle brushes, or anything else they could get their teeth on.

Are your horses stalled a lot of the time? Providing more turnout can help horses come up with their own play.

Jolly Apple! They are a big apple shaped plastice thing, and it smells like an apple. It's ten bucks, and a milkjug sounds like a good idea. I've heard of horse scratching post..

the milk jug works really well but in a barn with lots of people the ratteling of the treats can drive people crazy.

horse toys

a horse at my barn LOVES the ball on a rope thing but in the feild he manages to chuck it at other horses which really freeks them out:p

What, you think this storm is going to go away?

I'm starting to think that it's just one storm, that keeps coming back...again, and again, and again. Maybe it likes the food here, or something.

"Hey, Jeanne! Let's head over to Florida for some take-out!"
"Sounds good to me, Charley. Should we pick up Bonnie on the way there?"

Or maybe we're just stuck in the weather version of "Groundhog's Day."

newrider.com