need help with my foaling assignment

Sam and Blake

Feb 1, 2005
Orpington,Kent
www.face-pic.com
i have to describe 2 problems that the mare may encounter during the birth and the signs that may be seen but i cant find much on the internet.

and i also have to find and describe 2 problems that can occur after birth and describe how i would monitor and treat those mares.

and then i have to name and describe 3 illnesses or problems encountered by some foals after birth. i have to explain what care should be carried out with these foals incuding monitoring and treatment.
and thats not even half of it lol.i do know all these thinsg but not off teh top of my head and i left all my notes at college and they dont hav eenough detail anyway.im gna start searchng the internet now and look through one of my books.

xxxxxxx

oh yer one other thing i also have to write a journal covering the week leading up to birth, inlcuding signs of labour (cant remember all of them), facilities and equipment you woul dneed to prepare in order to assist with teh foaling loooooonggg x heeeeeeeelpppppp xx

I would recommend buying a few books, the best one that I recommend to anyone foaling a mare for the first time is called From Foal To Full Grown by Janet Lorch, not very expensive but worth buying, also a good little book with loads of photos is Foaling Simplified by Sue Caldwell. I think these will help you do your assignments and have the answers to all your questions.
I am not going to answer all your questions as that would defeat the object of you being set your assignment, there are plenty of things about foaling on the internet you just have to trawl through loads of info - have fun!!!!!:p :D

Hi Luckily I dont have any experience of problems, I have found a few things but they are quite brief so you would need to do further research. Might give you something to go on though

Placenta Previa or Red bag in Horses
In equine medicine this term is used for the condition where the placenta prematurely detaches from the uterus and is presented at the vulva without rupturing to release the foal. It is referred to as red bag because the bright red outer surface of the placenta is presented first during birth and is the first indication something is wrong.

Uterine Prolapse
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=1789953&pageindex=1

There is a discussion on this (and other diseases) here
http://www.horseadvice.com/horse/messages/4/16372.html

Retention of afterbirth and a lot of other problems are listed on this page - its quite far down
http://www.ul.ie/~equines/Lecture 21-22.htm

If you decide on a particular subject and cant find what your looking for let me know - I am good at hunting for info

Blackhorses is right though - you need to read lots of info to get a good understanding so you do learn

Hope that helps :D

the book by janet Lorch is very good. I bought it this year as my mares is expecting! been a very interesting read and you will find EVERY in it that you need for your assignment (and more)! and im sure if you dont want to keep it you can sell it on easily! its not expensive. but a good read!

newrider.com