need canetring advice

cvb I canter about all the time! I have done it ever since I was a little horseless horsemad kiddie! Since riding a lot more I have noticed that I am very onesided and always lead with the same leg on the straight, but if I take it up on a bend I lead off with my 'correct foreleg'! Okay, I've scared everyone now, but its worth trying as a learning experience!

There were some articles on a guy who teaches like this, with the people on foot doing the movements themselves - a few years back.

He got them using legs and arms as the four legs, whereas most people (inc. me) will just canter with their legs and their upper body becomes the rider (like a centaur !). If its something reallt tough I might try arms too.

I find it helps when I want to break down lateral work or turns. Just stand there and do it myself, thinking where my weight is going to free up the leg I want to move.

People think you're nuts - but then if they are non-riders they figure that anyway, and if they are riders they normally want to try it themselves !

Thanks for all the tips and advice about cantering, i still have a few more questions if you don't mind please do not laugh,

firstly how do you know if your cantering on the right leg?

2) I get so confused about about inside leg and outside leg and tips to help me on this too.

I have gone one better than cantering around myself, i have a great husband that thought that if he played horse that it would help me, it did but we both ended up on the floor in fits of laughter and our dog was amused too, did help but i got a stich from laughing so much !!

:D

the outside leg is the one the instructor can't see !;) That is of course, not counting instructors who can see through walls, round corners, ..........

On your own two legs, "canter" in a circle. One way will feel REALLY uncomfortable. If you "lead" with your inside leg (if cantering clockwise, its your left leg) it should be easier. Same for the horse. Over time you will be able to feel it. But in the meantime, look down (just with your eyes, not with your head !) at the shoulder on the inside of the circle, and it should be stretching out in front on every stride.

I would like to say a HUGE BIG THANK YOU to all of you that helped with my cantering question.

I cantered today in lesson and it was WONDERFUL and yes i did remember to breath too, okay so the canter was only a few strides but i kept going over in my head what you had all shared with me, and just "went for it" and throughly enjoyed it, the horse i ride a welsh cob was great he slowed to trot just when i was getting nervousand off balance and cantered when i was ready again, so i think all the credit has to go to you guys and Romany the horse !!

Thanks for such a wonderful experience, i am no longer scared to death about cantering and my bad past experinces have been locked away for good now

thank you again from one happy horse rider !!

many thanks for all your congratulations, i can't wait to get back in the saddle again and have another go, yes this is where the fun begins eh :)

I have well and truly got the horsey bug again, next step either finding a horse to share/loan or am i being too ambious in thinking about buying my own horse ermmmmmmmmmmm probably what do you guys think?

I am going to see if my local stables needs some help over the Christmas period, 9-5 workplace shut for 10 days whoppee, also there is a Horse rescue place that have ask me to come in for a chat too, to help out there, that is one job that i would not mind bring my work home with me Ha ha

help guys what should i do ??? I am i trying to gallop when i can barely canter excuse the pun

i don't think your'e jumping the gun to think about getting a share of a horse.

I took riding lessons for a year before i got part share of a naughty but lovely pony. I still have lessons every week but have learnt more in a month on him, than in a year of riding school lessons.

i think that once you have learnt the basics you will progress much faster with your own horse, as you get time to practice in between lessons. it can be diffcult to find the right horse to share but needn,t cost that much - i pay 40 pounds a month to ride 3 times a week and muck out etc.

good luck!

hi there, thanks for the tips on horse sharing i am going to post a question on the general forum to get as much advice as poss on sharing to weigh up the pro's and cons so if you have more advice it would be most welcome

thank you

newrider.com