Need advice please

Christie442

Jun 28, 2010
Okay, I went to look at a horse today, the owner replied to an ad I had posted looking for a bombproof horse. I had put my price as £1500 - £2000, he said that he had actually wanted £3000 for this horse but would accept £2500, this includes tack and rugs.
I really like this horse, I tried him today. He is 15yo TB X Cob.
My delemma is that I really can`t afford to go much over £2000 as we are going on holiday next week. Do you think it would be rude of me to ask if he would accept £2250.
The horse would be kept locally so they would still be able to come see him.

The other horse that I was interested in is 14yo Hanovarian X TB and a bit bigger, at 16.3, than I wanted but is £2000 including tack.

So if you were selling the horse what would you think?

The reason I`m feeling unsure of asking is that he already said that they wanted £3000 for him originally.

I would actually offer £2000 for the horse, you can negotiate the gear seperately or even not buy it until you have some more money.

Your advert was specific about top price so I dont think the owner will be surprised.

it is a buyers market at the moment IMO - and at 15 I wouldnt be expecting to get 3,000 for him - OK he may have years left in him or he may now be on the decline - will you be vetting him? I would whatever price you agree on him.

I would offer 2,000 - you can always go up but you can never come down can you?:wink:

Max of £2000 - he is an older horse. He is chancing his arm. Please make sure you get the horse vetted - when they get that bit older they start to have more chance of problems.

This man is never going to get £3000 for the horse - he knows that and we know that - its just that you still dont know that!

Good luck with your horse hunt - make sure you take some experienced help with you - its very very easy to get carried away!:D

Thank you :)

I took a friend with me and she thought he was very nice and sound.
I definately will have him vetted, this is so exciting, I really think he`s the one for me :wub:

Good luck with the vetting - let us know how it goes - and, of course, we'll expect pictures!

At the vetting, make sure you tell the vet beforehand what you want the horse for and that the horse is suitable for any futute plans. I do think that price is a little steep for an older horse, unless it's a real school master. Trouble is, for a 'lifetime' horse, you pay what you want, frankly.

Hope it all goes smoothly.:smile:

Good luck! :) A horse is always worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, and the purchase price is usually quite insignificant compared to the lifetime running costs. Did you manage to barter him down? £2k does sound reasonable to me for a horse of that age, assuming it doesn't have any kind of competive track record.

newrider.com