Need advice and help - and plenty of it!

Benji'sMoon

Apr 24, 2009
Ok,

So my mum has a fat hardly schooled (but stunning) black welsh sec D mare and I REALLY need some help in bringing her into proper work.

For seven years of her life she's been bred and hacked with no actual schooling, when she was 4 all we did was lean on her, lunge her, long rein her and jump on her.

Well, my mum has decided (a bit late) that she thinks I should start bringing her into full work as I have with my pony. I can bring them on in walk trot and canter but she doesn't even have basic knowledge of canter which is where I think I'm going to go into a brick wall.

She can be really stroppy at times and even with lots of leg flapping she aint going nowhere. She's a reallly stunning mare and I'm outgrowing my pony fast so she's my next horse in a way, so I would love to do showing etc with her in the future.

I really don't have a clue where to start with her, if neccesary pm me for more info on the lazy moo!

Help will be appreciated GREATLY!

Thanks x

try lunging. Teach her as if she was a 4 year old just learning to canter. its the same process, no matter how old the horse may be. Try cantering out hacking first, its easier on an unschooled horse in straight lines! lots of short sessions with good praise and fun as well.

oh, and pics!!!!!:D

I'd deal with her as if she was a youngster and start again more of less from scratch as if backing for the first time.

I think that long reining would help as well. IF in doubt, it's always a good idea to get some experienced help as it may stop you making a mistake which will set you back a few steps. Patience, and taking things slowly will help.
Let us know how you get on.

try lunging. Teach her as if she was a 4 year old just learning to canter. its the same process, no matter how old the horse may be. Try cantering out hacking first, its easier on an unschooled horse in straight lines! lots of short sessions with good praise and fun as well.

oh, and pics!!!!!:D

Hehe, pics and pics :).

Another thing is, I think it could be a back related problem, she will NOT canter. She sticks her head down and tries to kick whoever off and jump over the nearest fence. We'll get someone out to see to her back and we're selling her saddle to get a treeless. Does tail cocking to one side show discomfort? She wont canter on lunge either though :confused:. I'm worried about it so we'll get someone out about it.

Some pics just for fun!

260408150.jpg

^Her time being a fat happy broodmare. Ignore the state of her mane. It'd been plastered in oil the few months before because she has terrible sweet itch :(. We've hogged her whole mane off and its growing back well :D.

260408146.jpg

^'Cos she'd cuuuute

I'd deal with her as if she was a youngster and start again more of less from scratch as if backing for the first time.

I think that long reining would help as well. IF in doubt, it's always a good idea to get some experienced help as it may stop you making a mistake which will set you back a few steps. Patience, and taking things slowly will help.
Let us know how you get on.

Thankyou :) . We don't have a great deal of money at the moment, if we did I'm sure we'd have her broken in proffesionally. I might search for someone around here who could do a few sessions with her cheaply. Being in sheep country I doubt I'll find anyone. :rolleyes:

I would be looking for some area of discomfort if she consistantly carried her tail to one side. She could be stiff anywhere from her poll right through to her tail, as neck, back and tail are all connected!

I would forget about the canter stuff until you get her more sorted with more elementary work.

newrider.com