Need a new bit for haflinger with big tongue!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
He's clearly not that happy with the bit he is in currently, tongue is often out of his mouth.

At the moment he is in a fench link 2 ring gag, mainly on the snaffle ring, but dropped down for hacking. He is quite responsive but can occasionally spin and get strong out which is why I drop it down.

So I have been told he has a small mouth and big tongue, not really sure what bits to try, could get a myler comfort snaffle for schooling but not sure if this would be okay for hacking?

Any ideas??

Hi,

I used to have a my cob in a 2 ring gag, who can also spin and run for home! and also has a big tongue.

Dentist recommended a neue schule universal, it has a lozenge mouth piece. I was a bit wary as wasnt sure if would give me enough control, but my boy is happier in this and still gives me control when i need it.

So I think it was money well spent.

Thanks for the replies, so far I most like the look of the neue schule universal but will look into all of them more, thanks for the ideas

I've tried the neue schule elevator with the lozenge and a couple of myler bits on my cob. She was definitely happier in the mylers. She is now in a myler mullen mouth barrel. Her schooling is going much better with this bit and as a result brakes are better too!

That's interesting to hear, perhaps ill get both from the bit bank and see how we go

Adding my tuppence worth, I have had great success with a loose ring waterford. My horse is a draft with a huge fat tongue. We tried a lozenge, french link and normal snaffle, but he's strong when he gets an idea in his head to spook. The waterford means I can be really light in my aids - he comes back to me instantly rather than setting his rather huge neck and just running through it with an open mouth. It sits nicely in his mouth when he's happy, but when the 5% panic stricken dashes occur, I feel he still listens. Maybe worth a try if you exhausted other options!

Hebe's in a bog standard French link snaffle - don't know why she's pulling a face in that pic, but she's quite happy with the bit, takes it herself when she's bridled.

She does get out of hand sometimes, but I don't honestly think any bit would make a difference when she's in that mood.

I like the look of the neue Schule, but I'm reluctant to spend that much unless it's really necessary.

Hebehead in bridle by polyglot345, on Flickr

Wow she is beautiful, I like her muzzle more than my boys! Stunning picture. Sorry I got distracted lol.

My boy is basically in a french link snaffle now but is not happy with it sadly :( but will have a try of a few and see how we get on!

Thankyou for the pm Rubic, I have read it and thanks for all the info, will reply when I'm not on my phone :)

Thanks flipos mum, something to consider if all else fails, he's not too strong but just on occasion sets his neck and spins

My old boy had a small mouth and big tounge, he was always most happy in a straightbar, he was a driver and he had a standard liverpool bit in, but I eventually changed his riding bridle to pelham, His dentist did suggest a straightbar would be more comfortable for him to it wasnt for control as such having a pelham as he wasnt naughty usually, but when I started using this he stopped opening his mouth and getting his tounge over the bit as he did with his snaffle jointed bit, and went quite happily in it. Mind you he He was nappy in the school at the gate area! and it did give me control there if wanted though!

My Haflinger is in a Fulmer French link with fixed rings which was my choice as I don't like single jointed snaffles and he needs a little help with steering sometimes :wink:

He is going quite nicely although he went well in a hanging cheek snaffle before that. I would be really interested to hear how you get on with trying different bits as I always think the grass is greener when it comes to getting this right lol.

newrider.com