Need a little help..

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
I'm starting to feel that there just isn't enough daylight hours.. I haven't time to ride my big 'un as all my attention is on my poorly one.. Even if I do get to ride, my minds not on it.. I need a bit of help with my youngster, during this difficult time, whilst he's in?
I was hoping my sharer would help a bit more, but despite them saying before hand they'd see to Shadow, as I did say, he would probably be on the back burner for a few weeks, they seems to be down very little, and I'm struggling to keep both horses happy..
I get down to the yard at 3 on this shift.. everyone else brings in at 6-7pm.. now I can't wait down until that time, so I often end up giving haylage to 3 horses, and try to give plenty to my boy.. But I can't keep it up, it so much hard work.. I've asked the Yo to give him his net later, when the others are in, then I know he's getting enough..
If I can just have some one come down even if it's just long enough to exercise Bailey for 20 mins a day, whilst I'm at work, It will take some of the pressure off.. I need to find some one who is experienced with handling youngsters.. any Ideas on how I can find that Gem of a person?:help:

I WISH I lived near you, I'm struggling to find a share I can get public transport to around Preston ... will pretty much try anything right now, even if it's non ridden, so long as the horse is not a complete nutjob ...

Try advertising in the usual places, best place is a tack shop/riding school as usually the people going there are at least somewhat experienced with horses!

I WISH I lived near you, I'm struggling to find a share I can get public transport to around Preston ... will pretty much try anything right now, even if it's non ridden, so long as the horse is not a complete nutjob ...

Try advertising in the usual places, best place is a tack shop/riding school as usually the people going there are at least somewhat experienced with horses!

He's going to need some one with knowledge in place, as he's a born worrier, and if handled wrong, gets stressed and unhappy..
He's hopefully going to be introduced to the saddle next summer, then I'll have to find a light weight rider, until he's matured enough in his back for me..
He's shooting up at the moment, 13.1 at his wither, about 14 on his bum:giggle: he still looks really compact, but I guess, now he's gelded, things will start happening, as his energy is going to the right places:biggrin:

Wish I could say you would find somebody..........lets hope you have
more luck than I am:wink:

Seems as the Weather gets colder and the Sun disappears so do the
'SHARERS/HELPERS':bounce:

I get down to the yard at 3 on this shift.. everyone else brings in at 6-7pm..

Probably a silly question but why not ride when you get to the yard at 3? Then by the time you've done everything you need to do everyone else will be turning up and you won't have to do extra horses.

Probably a silly question but why not ride when you get to the yard at 3? Then by the time you've done everything you need to do everyone else will be turning up and you won't have to do extra horses.

Because when I get there, i have the urge to get Bailey straight out, then I think "Oh, better get his jobs done, then " If I walk him now, then do his tea, then I can put him in"... I'm terrible for routine:redface:
By the time I've finished his jobs, and walked him, its going dark, and cold:cold: and with that, the thought of warm food in me and a nice hot cup of coffee, has me winging for home................... I just feel washed out after a long day (5am get up) and want to crash out on the sofa and have a sleep:redface:

Wish I could say you would find somebody..........lets hope you have
more luck than I am:wink:

Seems as the Weather gets colder and the Sun disappears so do the
'SHARERS/HELPERS':bounce:

Your very right there:wink: I'm starting to think my current sharer is like that.. I saw them briefly today, and not sure when I'll see them before the weekend.. It's a shame, that they don't realize at the start of a share, that the routine stays pretty much the same in the winter, except shorter day light hours, less time to do anything, but none the less, still need doing..
Bailey is probably going to be in until next Wed now, I'm not entirely happy with his progress, and whilst he's still in, Shadow is living out, with lack of stable at the moment.. I'm hating every moment of him being out, but it does make it easier only having one horse to muck out..

I'm starting to feel that there just isn't enough daylight hours.. I haven't time to ride my big 'un as all my attention is on my poorly one.. Even if I do get to ride, my minds not on it.. I need a bit of help with my youngster, during this difficult time, whilst he's in?
I was hoping my sharer would help a bit more, but despite them saying before hand they'd see to Shadow, as I did say, he would probably be on the back burner for a few weeks, they seems to be down very little, and I'm struggling to keep both horses happy..
I get down to the yard at 3 on this shift.. everyone else brings in at 6-7pm.. now I can't wait down until that time, so I often end up giving haylage to 3 horses, and try to give plenty to my boy.. But I can't keep it up, it so much hard work.. I've asked the Yo to give him his net later, when the others are in, then I know he's getting enough..
If I can just have some one come down even if it's just long enough to exercise Bailey for 20 mins a day, whilst I'm at work, It will take some of the pressure off.. I need to find some one who is experienced with handling youngsters.. any Ideas on how I can find that Gem of a person?:help:

Tough times I kinda know how you feel. I love up to 50 mins from my girly atm and my mum is helping me out 3 days a week. I work about 2 hours away from where she is so I don't get there until about 7pmish and am constantly worrying about food, muck picking and water. The other night the water had frozen the lids on her water barrels so I couldn't pour any water for her! I feel like I live in my car atm. Its madness, I'm spending all my time stumbling around in the dark half the time so nothing gets done properly (like her stable). I'm lucky that my mum lives only 10 mins from her and is happy to help out.

:( I hope you get sorted soon!

Also don't worry about your big one, having some time of over the winter months is ok!

Tough times I kinda know how you feel. I love up to 50 mins from my girly atm and my mum is helping me out 3 days a week. I work about 2 hours away from where she is so I don't get there until about 7pmish and am constantly worrying about food, muck picking and water. The other night the water had frozen the lids on her water barrels so I couldn't pour any water for her! I feel like I live in my car atm. Its madness, I'm spending all my time stumbling around in the dark half the time so nothing gets done properly (like her stable). I'm lucky that my mum lives only 10 mins from her and is happy to help out.

:( I hope you get sorted soon!

Also don't worry about your big one, having some time of over the winter months is ok!

I finish at 1 on friday, so will have more time to do things.. I don't like being out after dark, I'm a creature of habit, and like my animals to be tucked up in bed by half 4-5pm.. when the big freeze comes, it's going to be even harder, as it becomes inaccessible by car (except 4wd).. I'll be walking home on 2 inches of ice.. and probably break my neck trying:cold: they don't grit the part of the lane I walk home on.. and it's just as treacherous the other way.. Oh well, I have my lesson on Fri, and with a bit of luck, the snow will stay away long enough for me to enjoy it, or it will be a total white out this week:redcarded:

i would definitely be doing the jobs backwards - exercising and riding in daylight, then all the rest of the jobs in the dark.

I had 7 months of hell whilst Moet was on box rest...honestly i hated it! I really felt drained all the time. the first 4 months was when i lived in Cardiff, my mum and sister did help when ever they could but the rest of the time i had to drive there at ridiculous times in the morning and back to work, then back over in the eve. I tried my hardest to do everything, but Rosie just didnt get ridden mon-fri, it was easier and less draining on me.

When i moved up here Moet was in for 3 months, to be honest i relied on a lovely lady on the yard to help when i couldnt be there.

Is there no-one on the yard who could help you for a few quid?

lol it sounds like you need to find a routine!

I'm the same and don't like waiting about, getting cold and wandering about in the dark so I have a set routine that makes life easier. I do weekday mornings and the friend I share the yard with does evenings then we pitch in together on weekends.

I get to the yard at 0615 in the morning and open up three stables for Dolly, Nelly and Charlie to head into (they're getting good at this now!), then open the feed room and grab the feed bowls out (they're kept stacked by the door), chuck down bowls for Kai and Bill who are loose on the yard, then chuck the other three over the doors.

Grab the 5 empty haynets from the night before and chuck them into the feedroom and replace them with the 5 filled ones left for me. By this time Bill and Kai have finished eating their breakfasts and moved onto hay so I stuff the haynets I took down (leaving them in the feed room) and make up the evening feeds for my friend. Finally I free the stabled ones, wash out the breakfast feed bowls, chuck them into the feed room and I'm done. I can do this routine in 30 minutes (45 if any pair of them were in overnight and need mucking out).

This routine means that on the odd occasion I have extra time, I can get all the chores done quickly then spend the extra time enjoying the horses, grooming and/or riding.

i would definitely be doing the jobs backwards - exercising and riding in daylight, then all the rest of the jobs in the dark.

I had 7 months of hell whilst Moet was on box rest...honestly i hated it! I really felt drained all the time. the first 4 months was when i lived in Cardiff, my mum and sister did help when ever they could but the rest of the time i had to drive there at ridiculous times in the morning and back to work, then back over in the eve. I tried my hardest to do everything, but Rosie just didnt get ridden mon-fri, it was easier and less draining on me.

When i moved up here Moet was in for 3 months, to be honest i relied on a lovely lady on the yard to help when i couldnt be there.

Is there no-one on the yard who could help you for a few quid?

Just the Yo.. but she's hasn't been very well, got a bad memory, we all suspect possible mini strokes involved, not sure.. and she already does 4 horses, I think helping with my little legs would be too much, she already lets him wander on the yard for half an hour, I've been told he's too much for her to handle, which I find odd, because, he hasn't got it in him to be naughty at the moment, he's too sore, and if anything, is being a bit stubborn, which is the total opposite to being a pain..
It's only a small yard, with 1 full livery, the Yo has 3 of her own (shared with daughter), 2 Diy's, one of them has no time in the mornings, and comes down after 6 most nights, the other who's new, I think is the same, but Yo turns out in the mornings..
In hindsight, I wish I'd moved him onto a bigger yard, before the op, and all this could have been avoided, I wouldn't care, if I had to put him on full livery to do it, he's on top of my list at the moment, and It would be the same for my other boy, if he was poorly..
I don't really like riding before jobs, I dislike knowing I haven't even started, I could try it, but I know my habits will slip really quickly:rolleyes:

Sorry your finding things a bit tough at the mo *Hugs*

Its really hard when they have to be in all the time isnt it!

Ive had it twice this year with finn, i had no help and it was exhausing so i can totally emphise on how your feeling!

Just try and take it easy if you can, these things cant be helped unfortunatly.
Bailey will be better soon, then things can go back to normal??

Im sure your other horse isnt missing being ridden, thats if hes anything like my lad!! who would rarther just eat, sleep and poop! :giggle:

I get all my jobs done in the morning which gives me loads of time to ride and mess around after work. He is mucked out, turned out, haynet & feed done for evening all by 7.00am :happy:

I hope you work somthing out and wishing your boy a quick recovery !

xx

Well, I find it hard to find the time for our pair and they live at home with us! We run our own business, so often do long, odd hours. It is harder in winter, there seems to be way more chores to attend to! Plus Joe has his health problems, leg bathing, getting his Danilon down him (not easy as he won't eat it unless mushed up with digestive biscuits), need I go on.........! All I can think when I ride Storm in a morning is guilt, because I feel I ought to be thinking about getting to work instead of having a ride. But then if I don't ride her I feel bad as we are trying to get her fit again. Argggggghhhhhh!!!! I either need a lottery win (then I can employ lots of helpers) or I need to stop doing long hours.......

In all honesty I think you just have to accept this is the way it is at the
moment and not stress about it, its not going to be for ever and at the
end of the day I don't think the Horses give two hoots if they are ridden
or not, as long as their needs are met.

I am finding it quite difficult to not be a little angry that as the Weather
has turned so the phone calls have stopped but I was on my own before and
throughout LAST Winter and can deal with it all again, yes it means they are not doing as much as I hoped we would be doing thro' the Winter months but so be it.

I just accept the fact that with only one pair of hands and working full time I can only do 'so much'. TBH my two don't give a monkeys as long as they
have their hay/food and a daily CUDDLE:wink:

In all honesty I think you just have to accept this is the way it is at the
moment and not stress about it, its not going to be for ever and at the
end of the day I don't think the Horses give two hoots if they are ridden
or not, as long as their needs are met.

I am finding it quite difficult to not be a little angry that as the Weather
has turned so the phone calls have stopped but I was on my own before and
throughout LAST Winter and can deal with it all again, yes it means they are not doing as much as I hoped we would be doing thro' the Winter months but so be it.

I just accept the fact that with only one pair of hands and working full time I can only do 'so much'. TBH my two don't give a monkeys as long as they
have their hay/food and a daily CUDDLE:wink:

I think its quite sad that people stop wanting to help out just because of the weather, surely if you are a true horsey person you will want to help no matter what the weather :cloud9:,

the only time I don't go to Oscar & Red is if their owner texts me not to come up, which has only happened a few times when they have been totally flooded :redcarded:

To be TOTALLY Honest, its not just the Weather.........although it was noticable that if it was cold/raining I didn't get a call, Aged 15 a BOYFRIEND has suddenly come on the scene as well and I haven't heard a word from her
in over a week in fact probably almost two weeks. I know she is not unwell or anything because she is on my FBook, lol.

It was nice to have an extra pair of hands and some company, but her Mum
wouldn't allow her down the Yard on her own anyway, which is understandable as I am on a little Yard on my own, so I had to go pick her
up, drop her off etc., anyway, it wasn't as though it gave me a 'day off' or
anything like that, in fact in all honesty cost me more time etc. Guess this happens in life with Horses, there comes a time when BOYS take over lol, will just wait and see what happens along the line:wink: I am a bit P'd off, well a little 'hurt' if I am honest, but at 54 tomorrow should know better, lol, but she is always welcome back x

Last edited:
newrider.com